So what's the best DVD-R/RW drive these days?

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
I used to keep up with the CDFreaks forums and always had a pretty good idea of what the "good" DVD-R/RW drives were to buy, but over the past couple of years I've let myself slip and I just have no idea anymore.

Last time I bought DVD-R/RW drives was around two to two and a half years ago and they were Samsung SH-203B 20X SATA drives. Well, it looks like the one in my personal rig is on it's way out - refusing to eject unless you give the front of the tray a good thump. Back when I bought this drive it was highly praised and reviewed, had excellent burn quality for the price, and came in at a time when NEC's drives were starting to get really crappy and LITE-ON had already gone down the crapper - we all needed a new trophy drive and the Samsungs were it.

So what's hot these days, anyone know? I'm looking for the best burn quality and would prefer to stay in the ~$30 price range. That's what I originally paid for the OEM Samsung from Newegg - $29.99 with free shipping. :D

The Samsung's have been my favs. But the 24x Sony Optiarc seems to be very good.

I buy a lot of samsungs for work. I believe they are pretty good. I think they are like $23 each at the approved vendor. Before that I bought mostlt liteon but I believe their quality has dropped.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind for your new purchase if you want lightscribe or labelflash. Labelflash is much better looking but the drives are limited and discs are more expensive. Just to note for ya.

Nah, I think Lightscribe and the like are stupid gimmicks made up by the powers that be to get us to waste our money. I have 'redneck lightscribe', which is me squinting through my glasses, sharpie marker in hand.

I picked up a Lite-On the other day on sale with free shipping. It has worked flawlessly thus far, am I missing something with their quality depreciation?

I like Lite-on and Asus burners. I have both these. They burn good. I heard that LG has some kind of firmware on their burner to make you install their software. Some kind of hastle. Not sure exactly but everyone in the newegg descriptions don't seem to like it :)

Nah, I think Lightscribe and the like are stupid gimmicks

I have never used that on the 100s of dvd/cds I have burned. The main reason is lightscribe disks cost more and are harder to find.

I have certainly seen that (poor quality lite-ons) at work where I buy dozens of drives.

That isn't good to hear. Mine has been working fine but I get this nagging feeling like it isn't transferring data as quickly as my old IDE LG. I could be crazy and it looks like I will have to run some tests to confirm but burning has been no problem thus far. Given, I burn a disk like once every 2 weeks MAYBE because I prefer thumb drives for what I do but I really only bought a new drive for the sata interface and finally going IDE free.

I have certainly seen that (poor quality lite-ons) at work where I buy dozens of drives.

All the drives that have failed at my work have been lite on also, I guess the only drives we have are lite on's, it's been the only ones I have been pulling out of dells.

I got the sony optiarc, although I still haven't burnt anything with it.

Back