So what's really wrong with todays PC games?

HAL_404

[H]ard|Gawd
Maybe it's not the games:

I recently posted my EVGA GTX 1070 Ti on Craigslist for cheap (and I mean very low priced compared to eBay). I get a text, the guy comes over, I show a game running. He gets out his cell phone, turns on the flashlight app and starts doing a strip search on the card and then he asks me if I would remove the card from my wall case so he could inspect it more. I didn't mind the initial exam but then I said, "Sure, if you're definitely gonna buy it if I remove it."

He thought for a second and then said, "No." and left.

The rest of the texts and calls proved just as scary so I yanked the listing (had it listed for $220)

So maybe it's the gamers and not the games :barefoot:

The games industry atm has some serious issues, and gamers are definitely one of them.

Imo companies should be allowed to make the games they want to make and not the ones the gamers want them to make. Buy the games that suit you and let the rest be, the hate campaigns are not needed nor usefull.

On the other hand, the games they make should be fully fledged games and contain a minimal amount of bugs not the ship now fix later attitude of late. I'm not against expansions/DLC if the base game is vast enough and the additional content is likewise (see witcher 3 or borderlands 2).

I recently posted my EVGA GTX 1070 Ti on Craigslist for cheap (and I mean very low priced compared to eBay). I get a text, the guy comes over, I show a game running. He gets out his cell phone, turns on the flashlight app and starts doing a strip search on the card and then he asks me if I would remove the card from my wall case so he could inspect it more. I didn't mind the initial exam but then I said, "Sure, if you're definitely gonna buy it if I remove it."

The rest of the texts and calls proved just as scary so I yanked the listing (had it listed for $220)

I'm not sure I see the problem or what was so "scary" here.

I would've asked to see the card as well before I dropped $220 on it. Just because its running a game doesn't mean there couldn't be something inherently wrong with the physical condition of the card that could eventually lead to performance or reliability issues. Issues such as weak/loose power connectors, fan ball bearing issues, or visible damage of the heatsink that clearly shows the owner tampered with the GPU (and there is no telling if they knew what they were doing).

If you gave me that same ultimatum that I'll have to buy it if you removed it then I would've left the negotiation table as well. Your behavior was more alarming than his.

I agree with exlink, you created this "scary" situation.

You said Craigslist. If I ever sell or buy from there my shields are always up thinking someone is trying to screw me. Telling a buyer they own an item if you take it out of his housing is an immediate red flag for me to bail on the transaction.

I'm more surprised you let someone from Craigslist into your house...insisting that he commit to buying the card if you removed it from the system was definitely a strange move though; if the card was indeed fine there should have been no reason for you to do something like that.

Edit: also what does the title have to do with anything?

Maybe its the gamers indeed. That seller sounds kinda nuts.....wait....who was the example here?

Yar, going to have to agree with the other posters here - you're the scary dude in this situation. If the price seemed too good to be true, and dude won't let me inspect it physically before purchasing, I'd run.

I've sold 4-5 cards on Craigslist. Some buyers will just do a swap in a random parking lot meet-up. Others want to see things up and running. I'm fine with either.

The thing that always annoys me is that without fail every Craigslist exchange I've ever made has involved last second bargaining. Usually in the form of "I know you wanted $300 for this, but would you take $250?" Or worse, "So, I only have $275 on me...is that cool?"
Um, NO.

Reactions: Esso
like this
he wanted to inspect the card to see if serial number stickers were there, or if back plate screws were missing or not matching. these are things that would void the warranty if they were missing.

also never meet someone at a house. meet in a public place like a bank parking lot so he can get money from the atm. plus theres lots of cameras if anything bad happens.

WTF did I just read, can I have my life back. Your craigslist story is dumb. wack jobs on craigslist have anything to do the gaming?

And I really don't see any issues with craigslist buyers.

you win worst thread April fools day after, after day.

Moral of the story, don't use craigslist. They have call girl / men ads on there for a reason....

Post it here on the Forums, shouldn't have a problem selling it.

You're the odd one in this case. Also, what do gamers have to do with this transaction?

Ya sorry man but I gotta jump on here and say you have this situation all mixed up.

1) This is not a "gamers are a problem" example, it is more a "Craigslist is a problem". CL has a long and earned reputation for issues with transactions of all kinds. I have had extremely good luck with selling to gamers online through places like this forum. We come to an agreement, money changes hands, hardware is shipped, all is well.

2) While he was being a little odd about it, so were you. You wouldn't let him see the card unless he was going to for sure buy it? Ummm, why? That is the kind of thing that would make my fraud detection sense perk up. Why would I have to agree to buy the thing without looking at it?

Never mind. I don't think I quite had the right gist for this thread.

Ya sorry man but I gotta jump on here and say you have this situation all mixed up.

1) This is not a "gamers are a problem" example, it is more a "Craigslist is a problem". CL has a long and earned reputation for issues with transactions of all kinds. I have had extremely good luck with selling to gamers online through places like this forum. We come to an agreement, money changes hands, hardware is shipped, all is well.

2) While he was being a little odd about it, so were you. You wouldn't let him see the card unless he was going to for sure buy it? Ummm, why? That is the kind of thing that would make my fraud detection sense perk up. Why would I have to agree to buy the thing without looking at it?

Imagine being the OP and being so out of touch that you wreck your own sale with shady behavior and then your next thought was to convey that experience into blaming gamers for everything you perceive to be wrong with games today.

Back