So whats going on with service in the U.S?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
MASSIVE DDoS or something happening? Thats alot of critical back ends in the red....

nXdgmxC.png

http://www.internetpulse.net/

http://www.prolexic.com/plxpatrol/

Is this why Steam has been down more than not recently.

Steam seems to be having problems for the past 6-9 months from DDoS attacks. It's actually becoming a daily issue now, which is a problem considering 50+ million people now use the service and their DRM basically makes it impossible to play online when they go down.

Given they have the network capacity of 1Tbps+ it really makes you wonder how easily it gets taken down.

Steam should not be going down at all one would think, i guess they have some main system in area's not well protected. Prolexic has ramped up to 1.2Tbps i think of protection but that is their entire network world wide, who knows what a single buffer station can handle.. But since Akamai bought Prolexic, wonder how they may tie the services into their infrastructure as that should be massive world wide.

Maybe googles new DDoS protection could help them, or they need to load their DDoS protection between Prolexic, NeuStar and Google...

Love those sites Red, they come in handy!

MASSIVE DDoS or something happening? Thats alot of critical back ends in the red....
Clearly too much p0rn is being downloaded.

Steam seems to be having problems for the past 6-9 months
from DDoS attacks. It's actually becoming a daily issue now, which is a problem considering 50+ million people now use the service and their DRM basically makes it impossible to play online when they go down.

Given they have the network capacity of 1Tbps+ it really makes you wonder how easily it gets taken down.

The simple reason why is because all internet consumers have way more bandwidth combined at a botnet's disposal than Steam or any other single internet destination... and yes, I understand it is not that simple as it is a many-to-many relationship, but nevertheless - Steam doesn't make money by having more bandwidth than the bots. It would be an arms race that Steam would lose.

Instead, Steam (and other internet properties) invest in other 'relieve valve' services which do a good job at mitigating the attack while attempting to minimize collateral damage.

Also, Steam has offline mode. Sure that sucks if you want to play with other people - but that wasn't your point... DRM was.

So true, for me i can't complain about steam and it's handful of times i have not been able to use it for an hour or so, i would love to see their infrastructure...

Bot nets are getting insane, wonder how long until governments make it a law you have to install AV on a computer and check in every week with some crap to verify it..

here we are again, yesterday as well Level 3 at almost %25 packet loss and earlier today, now other major links going to crap....

http://internetpulse.net/

This is really screwing up service to Latin America as well apparently. I guess Costa Rica beating Italy they decided to try and DDoS Latin America...

I can't even get to imgur to upload an image

got it

cJIovJP.jpg

Last edited:
ya , i wish more ISP's would subscribe to that to get a better idea of what is going on in the world for DDoS attacks

ya , i wish more ISP's would subscribe to that to get a better idea of what is going on in the world for DDoS attacks

Agreed. I wish Hurricane Electric would be one of them. However if they dont get their recent equipment failures and communication problems under control, I might be finding a new internet provider.

I dunno if it's at all related, but isn't there an undersea cable that's cut (being repaired) right now?

Back