So what was the MySQL problem?

Moofasa~

[H]ard|Gawd
I am curious, Cliff didn't get an answer in the VBulliten forums, how did he figure out the problem? I realize that this is slightly offtopic, but I was merely wondering...:( ...

Primary cause was the network outages hosing the primary server for the forums. The gory details would have to come from Cliff or Kyle.

(Actually it was Steve tripping over the power cord again) :p

^and nobody found it for a day!
eek.gif

:p

looked pretty bad...it wasnt even a forum error...they had to make their own "ub3r 1337" error message...

MajorDomo said:
(Actually it was Steve tripping over the power cord again) :p
Was he looking for his bra again? Did the ghost of the lizard come back and stole it?
These are the questions we want answers to... not some real technical MySQL questions... sheesh people
tongue.gif

4b5eN+EE said:
looked pretty bad...it wasnt even a forum error...they had to make their own "ub3r 1337" error message...
Hey, it was valid HTML 3.2 ;)

Guessing from the error message and after looking at the config file, I'd say it was the interpreter (IE module) that the web server used to connect to MySQL.

He could connect to the database server using the MySQL admin tool and didn't get any errors on startup/shutdown of the server after the first meaning that MySQL was online and ready to serve requests. The error pointed in that there was still a connection that was established but never closed. Force stopping MySQL severed that connection and unless the web server stopped and restarted that module (usually by stopping and restarting the web server itself), it wouldn't re-establish a valid connection to the MySQL databases.

But Cliff or Kyle will have to post what really happened before we know the truth.

Moofasa~ said:
I am curious, Cliff didn't get an answer in the VBulliten forums, how did he figure out the problem? I realize that this is slightly offtopic, but I was merely wondering...:( ...

On that note, I tried posting a reply but vBulliten kept giving me the finger everytime.

Mage, you are VERY CLOSE in your thoughts. The quick answer is that it was a networking issue between the database and the webserver that was causing a time out that was giving us a database error. We were simply looking for the problem in the wrong place. :(

Back