So what is the currently latest AMD Socket called?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I am looking at AMD for my next build. But I am having issues determining what the latest AMD Socket set is.

Could someone help me please?

I still am using an Intel I7 4790K currently.

AM4 for consumer (Ryzen) processors, TR4 for HEDT (Threadripper) processors. This is pretty straightforward.

Where things get confusing is in picking a motherboard, because there are a LOT of chipsets that work across the Socket AM4 line, and compatibility varies. For Threadripper (Socket TR4), there is currently only 1 chipset. Mind you, this is assuming you get the latest BIOS for your board. In order of release:

• A320 -- Used by mostly OEMs, supports DUAL channel DDR4 RAM, supports Ryzen 1000-2000, missing most "enthusiast" features, does NOT * officially * support Ryzen 3000 series CPUs (and yet some do).
  • B350 -- Mainstream 1st gen chipset. Has some extra PCIe lanes and SATA ports vs A320, officially supports Ryzen 1000-2000, PBO and Ryzen 3000 supported at manufacturer's discretion, does not support SLI or Crossfire.
  • X370 -- Enthusiast 1st gen chipset. Has some extra PCIe lanes and SATA ports vs B350, supports SLI & Crossfire, officially supports Ryzen 1000-2000, PBO and Ryzen 3000 supported at manufacturer's discretion.
  • X399 -- Socket TR4 Threadripper chipset. Has a boatload more PCIe lanes and SATA ports than any Socket AM4 motherboard, supports QUAD channel DDR4, supports 1000 and 2000 series Threadripper CPUs (BIOS update will be required for some boards to support 2000 series).
  • B450 -- Mainstream 2nd gen chipset. Same as B350, but officially supports PBO and Ryzen 1000-3000.
  • X470 -- Enthusiast 2nd gen chipset. Same as X370, but officially supports PBO and Ryzen 1000-3000.
  • X570 -- Enthusiast 3rd gen chipset. Adds PCIe 4.0 support to X470, but removes Ryzen 1000 series support.

If you have or get a well-supported B350 or X370 board, there isn't really any appreciable difference between those and the newer B450 and X470 boards (most manufacturers have hacked in PBO and Ryzen 3000 support). B450 and X450 boards are very popular right now because they officially support everything EXCEPT PCIe 4.0 (which nothing really uses anyway) and because they tend to be cheaper for nicer boards vs X570.

The difficulty with these older chipsets is in making sure you get the BIOS updated before you try and drop a Ryzen 3000 (4x0 chipsets) or Ryzen 2000-3000 (3x0 chipsets) - some boards support flashing the BIOS without a working CPU, but most do not. For those you need an older Ryzen processor to boot with so you can get the BIOS updated.

Last edited:
What mvmiller12 said :). AM4, has been for the last 3 generations now, although newer chip sets are out and have some more support. Not sure what you're looking at, so if you have any specific questions please ask.

LOL no offense but welcome out of the intel cave. ROFL!

I never thought I would see this question haha.

LOL no offense but welcome out of the intel cave. ROFL!

I never thought I would see this question haha.

4790k to current AMD is nothing. I went Q6600 to almost modern AMD recently. :D

Back