So what is the Android Tablet of choice for people now?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have the nook color now.

I have been looking at getting a larger tablet with a 10.1" screen.

What is the current heavy weight that kicks ass and is responsive as hell?

I know the Ipad is awesome, and really it is...But I want to install crap without the itunes bullshit....

So what do you guys like?

I think if you did a poll of the major 10.1" Android tablet players on the market right now, the Asus Transformer would be in the lead. I can't say by how much, but but but... it's definitely the most capable and most discussed product out there (meaning on the Internet at other sites and discussion forums) and even at this forum as well:

The 709 post (and continuing) thread here is certainly evidence of that: no other tablet product of any kind, not even the iPad or iPad 2, has garnered that level of discussion here at this forum... no other product has come anywhere near that amount.

As for the "2nd generation" of 10.1" tablets just around the corner, all dual core powered and whatever, we'll find out in the next few months. A Transformer 2 is expected, as well as products from other companies as well.

For now, the Transformer rules for a variety of reasons: battery life, IPS LCD, the expansion offered by the dock/keyboard (including almost double the runtime/battery life when that's utilized), a huge community of support behind it, custom ROMs (I think there's a few), and of course a price that makes sense (for the most part) and other reasons just keep it at the top of the heap.

I
I know the Ipad is awesome, and really it is...But I want to install crap without the itunes bullshit....

just a heads up (in case you didn't know), you don't need to use itunes for anything except for installing firmware or backing it up. Word on the street is that iOS 5 will let you update firmware OTA as well.

You can install apps, buy books, songs, etc directy from the device. It also has an awesome software catalog (and has a good resale value)

With that said, I've read mixed reviews on most android tablets. Maybe the samsung galaxy tab? I know my buddy is waiting for one of those... he's a pretty big android nut. I've heard some good things about the transformers too, but I haven't used either one personally.

(1) Motorola Xoom
(2) Samsung Galaxy Tab
(3) Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Those are three great android tablets right now, honestly if you want one now get the transformer. Its the cheapest, has an awesome screen, tons of expansion, option for the dock and I personally love the build quality. The material they use on the backing was such a great idea, its semi flexible and offers awesome grip.

The transformer was my favorite for the above reasons.

Last edited:
[...]

The 709 post (and continuing) thread here is certainly evidence of that: no other tablet product of any kind, not even the iPad or iPad 2, has garnered that level of discussion here at this forum... no other product has come anywhere near that amount.
[...]
And in my experience, outside of dedicated mac forums, [H] has the largest, and most defensive (not in a bad sense - they get a lot of random flak over simply using Apple products) group of Apple users/experts/fans anywhere.
Those are three graveyard android tablets right now, honestly if you want one now get the transformer. Its the cheapest, has an awesome screen, tons of expansion, option for the dock and I personally love the build quality. The material they use on the backing was such a great idea, its semi flexible and offers awesome grip.

Well, I think the Acer A100 may be cheaper, but that's a 7" (at least it has the same CPU, however). The Transformer still should be the cheapest (and best, IMO) 10" tablet out there.

I have to give Acer props for the pricing of the 7" honestly. Really good market there to hit.

I just realised my phone auto corrected to graveyard? how does greatest go to graveyard haha. Anyways I ment greatest/bestest/good/etc.

Those are three great android tablets right now, honestly if you want one now get the transformer. Its the cheapest, has an awesome screen, tons of expansion, option for the dock and I personally love the build quality. The material they use on the backing was such a great idea, its semi flexible and offers awesome grip.

I've got to agree. When getting an Android tablet it's hard to recommend something over the Transformer. Not because anything about it is particularly different spec-wise, nor are the competitors any worse, it's just that it has some great accessories and a great price. With my iPad, I'm hardly ever without a bluetooth keyboard. If I had one that doubled as a huge battery and added extra ports, then that'd be all the better. You really can't go wrong with the transformer.

I have looked at the transformer too. It does look awesome.

But based on the specs, it looks like I cannot expand the memory or can I? I dont want to use the keyboard dock or anything. Just the tablet by itself..

The Transformer comes with 16GB or 32GB onboard, and it has a microSD card slot for expansion.

The dock/keyboard comes with an additional slot for expansion, but it's a full size SD card slot - easy enough to use with a microSD-to-SD adapter, and also 2 USB ports as well for using USB sticks for additional storage if required.

Ok, so then one other question.

Is the transformer locked down and requires rooting as the nook color is for getting to the actual android market and installing what I want vs what the manufacturer tells me what I can install?

I don't own a Transformer but I'm going to guess based on how popular it is and how very few complaints I've been able to catch about the Android Marketplace that it's ready to roll just like most any other Android device in that respect.

As for rooting and customization, that's just another reason it's so damned popular as already mentioned. Whether you want to root or not, that's up to you, but honestly there doesn't seem to be many - if any at all - negatives by doing so.

No company is ever going to sell a completely unlocked and wide open Android device of any kind. That's just not going to happen, so rooting is pretty much a given in today's world of mobile devices powered by Android.

Rooting the device is easy enough. I never needed to root my device, did anyways and never saw a need to continue with it. The transformer has the 3.2 update as well. Theres really little requirement to do much of anything to it.

Not sure if the NookColor has access to the TegraZone or not but theres some cool free games there too, which all tablets supporting Tegra2 chipsets have access too.

Rooting the device is easy enough. I never needed to root my device, did anyways and never saw a need to continue with it. The transformer has the 3.2 update as well. Theres really little requirement to do much of anything to it.

Not sure if the NookColor has access to the TegraZone or not but theres some cool free games there too, which all tablets supporting Tegra2 chipsets have access too.

even my smartphone can access it :p... well, to be fair, it has a Tegra 2 inside, :D

It also works on my CM7'd nook color. But honestly, there isn't much inside to care for... it's just a glorified market category app, that lists all of the "Tegrafied" (made that up) games on the market. All the app links link you to the market.

Ok, so then one other question.

Is the transformer locked down and requires rooting as the nook color is for getting to the actual android market and installing what I want vs what the manufacturer tells me what I can install?

The Nook Color requires all the rooting and stuff because it's not sold as a tablet. It's sold as an e-reader. It's pretty much a locked up device. The more recent update added Nook apps, but the Nook Color at stock is much more of a walled garden than even Job's iPad. The big difference is that it's REALLY easy to get out of that garden. It's almost impossible to brick a nook color (I would say impossible, but I'm sure if you tried really hard to do so, it could be done).

The Nook Color has been applauded up and down this board, so if you're really interested in that, I'd just use the search function and look it up. I know there's at least two threads that discuss it, one in the mobility board and one over in the gadgets section. It's a great device, but it certainly has its limits. I still love and use mine, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth compared to some other stuff that's out now. If you're looking for a 7" device, a used Nook Color can be had really cheap. I just bought one for a friend for $100 at a pawn shop in st. louis.

If you want expandibilty in a tablet, then go with the Transformer. It has access to the market and it's apparently pretty easy to root. There should be (or maybe there already is) a 3G version of it soon. And I know that the Transformer's brother the Asus Slider should be coming out soon as well. I recommend against the Galaxy Tab 10.1, not because I don't like it. It's a very pretty device, but the lack of a SD card slot just bugs me.

The Nook Color requires all the rooting and stuff because it's not sold as a tablet. It's sold as an e-reader. It's pretty much a locked up device. The more recent update added Nook apps, but the Nook Color at stock is much more of a walled garden than even Job's iPad. The big difference is that it's REALLY easy to get out of that garden. It's almost impossible to brick a nook color (I would say impossible, but I'm sure if you tried really hard to do so, it could be done).

The Nook Color has been applauded up and down this board, so if you're really interested in that, I'd just use the search function and look it up. I know there's at least two threads that discuss it, one in the mobility board and one over in the gadgets section. It's a great device, but it certainly has its limits. I still love and use mine, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth compared to some other stuff that's out now. If you're looking for a 7" device, a used Nook Color can be had really cheap. I just bought one for a friend for $100 at a pawn shop in st. louis.

If you want expandibilty in a tablet, then go with the Transformer. It has access to the market and it's apparently pretty easy to root. There should be (or maybe there already is) a 3G version of it soon. And I know that the Transformer's brother the Asus Slider should be coming out soon as well. I recommend against the Galaxy Tab 10.1, not because I don't like it. It's a very pretty device, but the lack of a SD card slot just bugs me.

There is an USB kit that allows you to plug in a MicroSD card.

There is an USB kit that allows you to plug in a MicroSD card.

Not really a plus if you have to pay extra for something that is available on its identical direct competitors. But I had no idea about that, so cool beans on samsung.

Personally I'm waiting for a review of the Lenovo Thinkpad one. If that's a bomb, it's between the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Transformer for me.

Last edited:
Not really a plus if you have to pay extra for something that is available on its identical direct competitors. But I had no idea about that, so cool beans on samsung.
The SD/USB adaptor also allows you to plug fat32 hard drives into it and kb/mouse etc

I got the galaxy tab 10.1, all my music/photos/documents etc are online (googlefied!) now so memory really isnt an issue, i dont need to carry around 50+ movies with me either.

The SD/USB adaptor also allows you to plug fat32 hard drives into it and kb/mouse etc

I got the galaxy tab 10.1, all my music/photos/documents etc are online (googlefied!) now so memory really isnt an issue, i dont need to carry around 50+ movies with me either.

But having to pay extra puts it at the exact same price as the Transformer and it's keyboard dock, which gives you all of the things listed plus a much longer run time. The $140 cheaper Acer (current price on amazon is $364) has identical specs and the USB port built in as well

While I have no beef with the Galaxy Tab 10.1, I think it's pretty obnoxiously priced compared to its android brethren. It's a great product, but being a bit thinner doen't justify the $150+ premium compared, feature for feature, to its direct competitors.

Having played with all the models, if I was going to buy one today it would be a Toshiba Thrive. USB and HDMI interface directly on the side, top right has a full size SD slot (not just micro), and my knucles still hurt from 3 days ago when I beat the shit out of the gorilla glass. Bottom contains a hidden dock for future expansion; and I really like the textured feel of the back.

The Asus Transformer is my 2nd pick.

There are actually two kits depending on where you get them at. A $19 USB Kit & a $30ish kit that comes with the USB (for portable HDDs) & a SD kit.

But having to pay extra puts it at the exact same price as the Transformer and it's keyboard dock, which gives you all of the things listed plus a much longer run time. The $140 cheaper Acer (current price on amazon is $364) has identical specs and the USB port built in as well

While I have no beef with the Galaxy Tab 10.1, I think it's pretty obnoxiously priced compared to its android brethren. It's a great product, but being a bit thinner doen't justify the $150+ premium compared, feature for feature, to its direct competitors.

I have both an Asus Transformer (TF101) & Samsung Galaxy Tab (SGT10.1) and agree with you. The only reason I decided to get the SGT10.1 & sell my SGT7 is because of the $100 off coupon I was able to use when I got my SGT10.1.

After, using the SGT10.1, I don't miss having a dock & extra ports. The USB kit fits my needs. The ports on the TF101 are nice but I honestly never used them. I even have a micro USB cable that allows me to connect to a portable HDD but I never used it.

With the SGT10.1, I like it's weight & thinness factor. That is one of the reasons why I got it. Before my mom took over my TF101, reading & holding the tablet got tiring after long hours. This is with switching arms back & forth.

In the end, I gets it's all about personal preferences. All the tablets that were listed in this thread are good & will suit your needs.

Wait until iOS5 comes out, that completely negates the need for iTunes or any syncing with a PC or Mac. Much needed update IMHO since it makes the iPad self-sufficient.

Wait until iOS5 comes out, that completely negates the need for iTunes or any syncing with a PC or Mac. Much needed update IMHO since it makes the iPad self-sufficient.

Will it alow for drag and drop of music/movies like my Transformer had? That was my favorite part about the android tablets, I still have my folder with all the music/movies I was using for my tablets on my desktop.

I had thought about getting an Asus Transformer 32GB + the keyboard for $650. The keyboard makes the Transformer more versatile since it allows you to use it as a netbook and the extra battery life and ports are a plus. However, I decided to spend about $125 more to buy a Lenovo IdeaPad Y470.

The Transformer 2 is expected to be released in October 2011 with better specs. If you are willing to wait that long.

http://topbestphonereviews.info/tab...sformer-2-expected-to-release-in-october.html

Will it alow for drag and drop of music/movies like my Transformer had? That was my favorite part about the android tablets, I still have my folder with all the music/movies I was using for my tablets on my desktop.

I know the iOS has apps for a WiFi drag and drop, but I honestly have never tried media files. I only just got an iPad (...well, not for myself :p), but I have an old 1st gen iPod touch and I transfered a lot of office docs this way...

I was hoping not to do it through app support (drop box), don't really care if I have to hook it up through a PC first as long as I can get it on there with no other program needed. Outside of that and the other obvious reasons to use a tablet (email, web surfing etc.) I love using splash top HD, remoting into my 3 other PC's here from the couch was AWESOME!!! Can't wait to do it again.

Maybe apple is opening up some freedom now, instead of forcing everyones hand? Could be a move to attrack some android users over to try and steal more users?

No, I had the app way back on iOS2. First gen iPod touch, I'll mention again :p

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I forgot I jailbroke it back then. I dunno if that made any difference. There probably isn't a way without iTunes, at least until iOS5 launches.

I'll wait to see if apple makes any changes that gives me enough freedom with my device.

I was hoping not to do it through app support (drop box), don't really care if I have to hook it up through a PC first as long as I can get it on there with no other program needed. Outside of that and the other obvious reasons to use a tablet (email, web surfing etc.) I love using splash top HD, remoting into my 3 other PC's here from the couch was AWESOME!!! Can't wait to do it again.

Maybe apple is opening up some freedom now, instead of forcing everyones hand? Could be a move to attrack some android users over to try and steal more users?

hell yeah. Splashtop is an amazing program. It has to be the best I've ever used in terms of responsiveness, keeping audio in sync and image quality. It's great for playing certain windows only games or watching streaming movies that the ipad doesn't support.

It's definitely a must have ipad app IMO

Back