So what do you guys think is the best consumer-level wireless router/AP?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by mpeg4v3, Mar 19, 2004.

1. mpeg4v3

mpeg4v3 Gawd

I've been looking into getting one, the problem is, I've heard people complaining about pretty much every single brand that I've been looking into, so I figured I'd make this thread and ask for your guy's votes and experiences into which one you'd recommend. I don't actually need the "router" part of it, just want it to be able to serve a wireless signal out, and for it to be a powerful wireless signal at that.

2. Flagg

Flagg Limp Gawd

I would look at linksys 54g Access point. (excuse me, CISCO 54g :) ) there is a hacked firmware available that lets you do lots of things that are not readily available in other brands. syslog daemon, PPTP server, DHCPd, they are adding new things all the time.SveaSoft firmware

3. versello

versello 2[H]4U

I agree with Flagg. LinkSys WRT54G is teh winnar!

4. mpeg4v3

mpeg4v3 Gawd

I've heard some pretty bad things about linksys products now though, such as them having lots of issues with the router requiring resets every day or week or so, and incredibly bad support now.

5. Rebz

Rebz n00b

I have a linksys- its a definite love hate relationship. I bought a d-link originally....worst misteake of my life, seriosuly HORRIBLE router. I have many issues with my linksys but nane that i can fix fast, tech support is needed and they are good only it may take an hour to get someone to talk to you with their wait times.

Ive seen many routers and the linksys wins my vote, they all have issues.