So what did I fry?

sdy284

Gawd
Ok, first some back story. (this problem occured on my HTPC, all specs are in my sig)

About 3 weeks ago I was trying to get my 1090t rig to 4GHz, was stress testing with OCCT and it just shut off. no blue screen or anything. Tried powering back up, and nothing, not a power light on the mobo or anything. let everything sit overnight, tried the next day and still nothing.

I figured I fried my mobo, sent it to MSI, they said the BIOS was corrupted, they fixed it and sent it back to me. I installed it and it booted right up.

Fast forward to last night.

So I have it up and running, i bumped the multiplier by one to 17, for a total speed of 3.4Ghz (stock 3.2) so there shouldn't be anything wrong with this.

So start up folding around 3 or 4pm and am happy I have my htpc back. Well about 10 hours later, a hear a slight pop, or click & i look over and the power LED is blinking and there is a STRONG smell of burning electronics. This is basically the exact thing that happened originally, just originally it didn't smell this badly of burnt electronics. I would've bet money that it was the PSU as that seemed to be where the smell was coming from the strongest

So i did the same thing, tried powering back up, nothing. No lights on mobo, no power LED, no anything.

Fast forward to now... Took the PSU out and did the paper clip test, sure enough the fan spins up, albeit with a slight clicking noise while spinning. Ok, so I hooked up the 24pin & 4pin to my mobo, tried powering on, and I got one LED light on my mobo to light up, and then back to off, none of my case fans spun up, and I cant' get it to do that again.

Any idea what's wrong?

what's the red flag? And if it's dead why does the fan still spin?
(not trying not to argue, just questions)

A fan is a relatively small amount of power. Doesn't take much to run it.

Try another PSU and see what happens.

Back