So what comes after photo-realistic graphics???

What we really need is true 3D displays. After playing Folklore I'm really realizing how much it sucks to be trying to judge distance via a 2D projection. The graphics are getting nice enough, but now we need hardware vendors to step up and make real 3D screens or at least some decent wireless glasses.

after games become photo realistic , games will go towards virtual reality. Its quite obvious that what the last frontier of gaming is. To be in the game you are playing.

Kind of like the movie the lawnmower man, but with better graphics :)

Just think of the pr0n :D

photo realism is easy compared to real physics. Bullet interactions, terrain that isn't just gimmicky. Environments that truly react as in real life. That's the hard thing, forget holodecks for now, they can't even simulate large scale the difference between concrete and cotton in a realistic way.

Whatever the technology will be, it will require hardware that wont be available to the public until a year after the game releases.

Photo real graphics --> Lifelike physics (fluids, collisions, destructable environments) --> Additional Peripherals (reference time crisis/rock band/wii) --> Virtual Reality/Maximum Immersion --> Matrix Status

Well, were a good ways away before we see CG in movies that is totally believable on anything more than an auxiliary basis. There's a whole lot more to it than nice models and shaders.

I think everyone can agree, when we reach a point where you enter an 'experience', where, you can't tell the difference between it and real life, we have 'arrived'. That is several decades away.

Photorealistic Graphics will be after 2020 not something like 5 years time...and yes I have my sources to back that info up! Well basically everything that has a beginning has an ending. I believe that after Photorealistic Graphics their will be nothing else that will make it more realistic...unless sucking the energy of the whole universe into simulating a a texture to make it look 'that' life-like!

Other then that....its to best wait rather then to imagine!

If you turn the res and settings and physx settings up to the maximum on Warmonger I think you have one of the best graphics around....I think even better then Crysis by far. But the downside is that to make it life like you need additional hardware into processing enough power to formulate that texture imagery.....such as a 256MB required Physx hardware device to run the game:(

It is years and years before we get there.

Design teams are already massive could you imagine how big they are going to keep getting?

Ok, so what im hearing is that "true" photo-realisim is at this point is based not on the graphics that a screen shot can produce, but the realism of the actual game play, which I agree with 100%.

And based on that, I would agree that we are probably 10-20 years from that level of immersion. By that time though, I do hope they come up with a better way to get that singnal to our brain besides our current monitors. 3-D Wrap-around displays at the least! Asus has has a laptop with a 3-d screen and i recall seeing a hugh curved monitor here recently...we can't be far from some breakthroughs.

Ok, so now that the time frame of the original question has changed to a 10-20 year prediction, what do you all think is "realistic" given the expotential grown of our tech? (And yes, I sadly believe the holo-deck is probably still out)

Any new thoughts from anyone?

Ray Tracing and other projects such as the Intel Larrabee project shows how graphics is improving and reaching towards that "life-like" affect. It is one step behind the future next generation graphics!

Back