So what CANT you do with Vista 64?

I'm still waiting on Vista 64 to get the paper in the morning...
The fact that it can't means it must suck, if it can't even perform such a simple task.

Vista 32 bit gets my paper AND fixes me breakfast. Microsoft really dropped the ball with Vista 64.

On the machine in my sig, I installed it and Vista already had all the drivers!

OMG HAX! How'd you get drivers for your P-180? :p

Don't blame MSFT for X-Fi drivers people...that's creative's fault (and my X-Fi works FINE with the 2.13 drivers....just DL their driver disc via the torrent on their forums, don't update the driver after that.

If I go with an Intel Quad core and Vista 64 is there any benefit? Or is it just a more than 4 Gig of memory thing?

You get 64bit apps too - and compiling your code for x86_64 is just plain cool...until you take your exe and try to run it on a 32bit system. 'doh!

Anyway - isn't 4 GB+ availability enough to go to 64bit? Furthermore, isn't going 64bit just common sense - you see no perf hit from going to 64bit, and I see no comparability issues, save the ones related to driver signing enforcement...

... Winamp in Vista x64, and haven't found any problems.

Seems like some have issues with the burning part of winamp. I have installed on several different builds. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I have heard you should uncheck the burning plug-in when installing.

Thanks again AthlonXP for the link, iTunes works great now.

VPN and iTunes does not work for me in x64...Everything else does...

Strange. I'm using both Steam and Winamp in Vista x64, and haven't found any problems.
I even have the x64 version of Lost Coast.
I've only played the Bioshock demo, but that seemed to work fine aswell.

I finally got Steam up and running, but for some odd reason I cant load games from my physical discs, I have to D/L everything.

Bioshock only runs for me if I disable EAX and Reverb in audio; and then I still get random freezes. I hope HL2 EP2, etc runs smoother. We'll see.

Audio in most games is broken for me. (On board sound)
Supcom wont work (runs about 5 min than crashes, everytime)
Nvidia 64bit drivers are still crappy.

My biggest complaint really is UAC.

VPN and iTunes does not work for me in x64...Everything else does...

My Cisco VPN doesn't either. My school needs to actually READ my email where it says "The version of the VPN you distribute is OUTDATED" and get the newest VPN client....anyway, in the end I run VMWare server and an XP install that way if I need it.

Audio in most games is broken for me. (On board sound)

DirectSound is gone, hence ALchemy from Creative (maps DSound hardware calls to OpenAL)

Supcom wont work (runs about 5 min than crashes, everytime)

Did you make it large address aware, apply the two perf and compat patches from MSFT, and the latest patch which addressed VRAM being mapped to user space? If not, that's why you crash.

Nvidia 64bit drivers are still crappy.

O RLY? I'm running then 24/7. Rock solid. Loving my new ability to have packet prioritizing and a 2 gbit connection on my 680i.

DirectSound is gone, hence ALchemy from Creative (maps DSound hardware calls to OpenAL)
Id rather gouge my eyes out than install any creative crapware to make regular on-board sound work. I know its a driver issue, but its real.

Did you make it large address aware, apply the two perf and compat patches from MSFT, and the latest patch which addressed VRAM being mapped to user space? If not, that's why you crash.
large address, yes. The other two, no. Too much work. I just boot into XP to play games.

O RLY? I'm running then 24/7. Rock solid. Loving my new ability to have packet prioritizing and a 2 gbit connection on my 680i.
YA RLY

7950gx2 suxors on Vista 64, *still*

that is just dumb, I stumbled on to the fix for the cd burning in itunes, a little mad though as they are being a pain to support the 64bit version of windows, but oh well thats what you get when Apple and Microsoft aren't too cozy with each other.

Could you please share? :D

So far only the steam community overlay has caused me some problems in older valve games. I just disable it though. Valve is aware of this and working on a fix though so its not a huge issue.

the only thing i havnt been able to do is install quake 3. it says that q3 is not comptiable with this sytem etc etc. maybe there is a way. but q4 and quake wars play great.

I'm still waiting on Vista 64 to get the paper in the morning...
The fact that it can't means it must suck, if it can't even perform such a simple task.

Vista 32 bit gets my paper AND fixes me breakfast. Microsoft really dropped the ball with Vista 64.

How did MS do anything wrong with Vista 64 that isn't related to 3rd party? This is what pisses a great many people off about people who bash vista or its 64-bit version.

Back