So what bits do you all use when cutting with a dremel?

Ragenowski

n00b
Hello all, I'm relatively new to the whole modding scene so I had a dremel already but went out and bought a few bits for it for a case window or two I'm going to be doing shortly. So I get home and I'm thinking that since the bits said on them "use when cutting metals" that they'll cut throught relatively thin metal on my side panel like a knife through hot butter........WRONG. Luckily enough I had the foresight not to just dive into the straight line cut otherwise I'd have been out one side panel:). I ruined one bit in about 10 seconds and all the others wallowed around the hole so badly that I don't think I'm going to be using the dremel for anything other than the rounded corners of the window. So what types of bits do you all use with your dremel tools? At the moment I've got 3 different carbide cutting implements, one is cylindrical, one has a rounded tip, and the other comes to a sharp point. I tried a cutoff wheel but those things can be dangerous when they break which they seem to do frequently. What about using one of the fiberglass reinforced cut off wheels? I almost picked some up today until I noticed that they were almost 7 bucks for a package of 5 of them. Anyhow, thanks in advance:) Hope to be posting some pics of my first build soon :D

What I use and what I use it for.

The Disks - General cutting, but you have to let the disk do the cutting. I have a Lian Li and just let the disks "sink into the metal" Then you can cut, but if you at all "turn" the disk while its in the track that you cut it will break.

The Drill Saw bit - Not actually sure what this is called. Its the bit that looks like a drill bit but cuts through metal. I use this with the drill saw adaptor (the plastic peice that goes over the front of the Dremel that makes it basically stand upward) I use this for really rough cuts. Say I am cutting a window, I would use this, and then go back with a file bit to clean it up. But you have to be careful with this, as it has a tendacy to jump out if you force it.

The Grinding bits - I use these to clean up the variety of mistakes I make.

Polishing bits - I use these in really intricate parts, but they get devourerd in the process. Its really for making the cuts baby butt smooth.

I recommend, if you can, that you cut from the back side. If for whatever reason the bit jumps and scuffs the panel it will not be visable from the outside.

As always I say tape that box up completely. If your cutting just a fan hole (well get a hole saw cutter) but if your using a Dremel for just a little cut, tape the the side. Just imagine if you sneezed and smacked it on the side, "bye bye paint" so always tape off more than you really need to.

Here you can see that I taped the whole panel. I really recommend it if your doing large cuts.

Also if you were to do a cut like mine, get a frickin scroll saw or band saw. It would make it go much quicker and chance of a scuff or error would be minimal.

speaking of breaking discs....i was cutting something up...think a panel or whatever and it had some kind of rubber tabs on it....well i thought i took them all off...but once that disc hit it...it was gone...right into my arm...man that shit hurts..so i guess they dont like rubber

The reinforced wheel are my main tools...i use the cheaper ones when cutting plastic, like the bezels or some fan parts. Those dont like metal at all.

For drilling i got a drill that i use, and for most fan holes i use a hole saw, and then the disc to clean it up.

For sanding i use the little sander bit then follow up by hand.

It takes a bit of practice to get used to the dremel...just pretend its an extension of your arm, become one with the dremel, and oh ya..dont forget the safety glasses. I never wear them though. But im a dumbass. And i learned the hard way...let the tool do the cutting like 9311 said...cuz if not, youll go thru alot of discs.

Back