So what are your thoughts on the Wii U?

If the hardware is better than a 360 or PS3 and you take in dollar vs yen it's a fair price.

I HIGHLY recommend if anyone has even a remote casual interest to place preorders ASAP.

I think Kotick would rather use $100's to wipe his ass than spend $5 on development on anything other than CoD. :D

I hate to be such a downer and I'm sure casual posters see nothing but negatives from me on Nintendo and I don't mean to post that way...and as a gamer I'm excited for new hardware because it usually means better graphics and new games. However ~ this thing though....I just can't get excited about it. And it's insulting how now they're trying to add more bells and whistles because everyone else is doing them (TVii) and now it's like Nintendo's trying to fit in with everyone else and earn gamer approval again. It's funny because the Nintendo crowd screamed bloody murder when Kinect and Move were announced like those completely robbed Nintendo, but I have a feeling those gamers are going to be awfully quiet about enthusiasm towards TVii. ;)

If the TVii (god damn that name is painfully stupid) interface is good it might get my attention. Quite frankly the UI for Netflix on all three current consoles is shit. Not sure about Hulu on the PS3 but the 360 one is alright, still could be better.

I think Kotick would rather use $100's to wipe his ass than spend $5 on development on anything other than CoD. :D

I hate to be such a downer and I'm sure casual posters see nothing but negatives from me on Nintendo and I don't mean to post that way...and as a gamer I'm excited for new hardware because it usually means better graphics and new games. However ~ this thing though....I just can't get excited about it. And it's insulting how now they're trying to add more bells and whistles because everyone else is doing them (TVii) and now it's like Nintendo's trying to fit in with everyone else and earn gamer approval again. It's funny because the Nintendo crowd screamed bloody murder when Kinect and Move were announced like those completely robbed Nintendo, but I have a feeling those gamers are going to be awfully quiet about enthusiasm towards TVii. ;)

To be honest, even though I keep bringing it up, I see it as only a bullet point that doesnt really sway the decision to buy or not buy. but its nice of them to notice that people expect that from newer electronic devices. (Or at least , I do)

If the TVii (god damn that name is painfully stupid) interface is good it might get my attention. Quite frankly the UI for Netflix on all three current consoles is shit. Not sure about Hulu on the PS3 but the 360 one is alright, still could be better.

Its exactly that that impressed me. Watching a game on the TV and pulling up stats and playbooks on the gamepad in realtime is really cool. If it was just the same ol same, just watch, like everyone else, it wouldn't be anything cool and 'been there, done that'

No way i'd pay 300 for a system that is just catching up to the current stuff that has been out since 2005. the gamepad is nothing to me i play games like that now on what are they called ....oh yeah tablets i can take anywhere!

People forget that the PSP has been able to do dual display stuff with the Ps3 for years now, it's just never been implemented like this nor has it been actively developed for...more of an afterthought.

I think if MS can actually show anything half decent with SmartGlass, especially with their next console....the Wii U might be dead in the water. That's a big 'if', but I'm interested to see what they come up with and how much SmartGlass matures by the time the next big game show rolls around. Again I go back to the old console adage - first one out of the gate always fails, never wins. Nintendo had to do something, because the Wii looks even more dated as time goes on. Now that those initial sales and repeat sales are up, they're clamoring to put something new out there. In this regard, I'd almost say the Wii is definitely a double edged sword....it was great at first for them with the sales and the profits ~ but now they have to act first, they cannot rest on their laurels. Being first out of the gate and what they're bringing to the table....[shrug] just not really that impressive to me. The technology and the idea is neat, but it's not $199+ neat to me. Now, SmartGlass...not to sound like a kool-aid drinker - again, it's free, I can use it on my SGS3 and my rooted Kindle Fire....no extra cost, works with my 360? Hell, where do I sign up? I'll use SG especially if it works decent....but primarily because it's FREE and doesn't require me to buy new hardware.

I see software on Amazon but no hardware. Maybe I missed it but when will the preorder time window open in earnest?

People forget that the PSP has been able to do dual display stuff with the Ps3 for years now, it's just never been implemented like this nor has it been actively developed for...more of an afterthought.

I think if MS can actually show anything half decent with SmartGlass, especially with their next console....the Wii U might be dead in the water. That's a big 'if', but I'm interested to see what they come up with and how much SmartGlass matures by the time the next big game show rolls around. Again I go back to the old console adage - first one out of the gate always fails, never wins.

We won't even hear about MS's next console until well after the Wii U has launched.

I think if MS can actually show anything half decent with SmartGlass, especially with their next console....the Wii U might be dead in the water. That's a big 'if', but I'm interested to see what they come up with and how much SmartGlass matures by the time the next big game show rolls around. Again I go back to the old console adage - first one out of the gate always fails, never wins.

The Vita does this and very well. play on PS3 then switch to vita and you can leave and keep playing. I really wanted to be excited about the WiiU but the price is too high.

Last edited:
Lots of mixed signals: Is the hardware on the Wii-U better or worse than current gen consoles? Do we actually have that locked down one way or the other?

Lots of mixed signals: Is the hardware on the Wii-U better or worse than current gen consoles? Do we actually have that locked down one way or the other?

Nintendo is being vague as always, but I'd suspect it's a little better. It has 2GB of memory split evenly between the system and "game processing". It also uses GPGPU.

We won't even hear about MS's next console until well after the Wii U has launched.

I know that, but if they lay out the groundwork and can do SG with the 360 and have a snippet of what they plan to do in the future/with the new console....that could be a major blow to Nintendo because let's face it, the Wii U main selling point is the tablet. There's no doubt Nintendo will make it work because Nintendo always makes their own games work on their own product. The question is ~ will everyone else make it work longer than the first 6 months?

Case in point: the Wii library. Most of Nintendo's stuff = must own A+. Other developers....notsomuch. Lots of shovelware there; I'd say at least 75-80%.

The Vita does this and very well. play on PS3 then switch to vita and you can leave and keep playing.

Exactly. They're not specifically touting the ability (for instance) to call plays in Madden on the PSP/Vita, and I haven't really ever bothered much with using my PSP on my Ps3....but I would think the opportunity could be there and used if they wanted to do something like that (if they're not already).

Developers claim it's better (no surprise there :rolleyes: of course they're going to claim that). If the rumor is true about 7 series Radeon, it's definitely better from a hardware standpoint. The thing I want to know is...how is Nintendo with 3rd parties and helping them do the games, and how is the development library/kit architecture? If it's easy to do games for but hard to squeeze "beauty", then it doesn't matter what hardware's there. Ps3 is a testament to this... powerful hardware, Cell is a PITA that only few have grasped (Naughty Dog especially). The Saturn is a decent old comparison...people couldn't develop for the SH-2 so it had poor 3rd party support and everyone went to the Playstation.

The other issue is again - first out of the gate. Once the finished hardware specs are released, MS and Sony will bump theirs up at least 10%.

Nintendo will make quality Wii U games; I'm not worried about Nintendo, I'm not watching Nintendo. I want to see what the other developers can do with the hardware, and how long they do it for. Everyone will be onboard now and through day 1. Let's see where they are at year 2 and year 3; are they still onboard, or are they just porting all their 720/Ps4 stuff and the Wii U gets the scraps just like the Wii?

Last edited:
I know that, but if they lay out the groundwork and can do SG with the 360 and have a snippet of what they plan to do in the future/with the new console....that could be a major blow to Nintendo because let's face it, the Wii U main selling point is the tablet. There's no doubt Nintendo will make it work because Nintendo always makes their own games work on their own product. The question is ~ will everyone else make it work longer than the first 6 months?

Case in point: the Wii library. Most of Nintendo's stuff = must own A+. Other developers....notsomuch. Lots of shovelware there; I'd say at least 75-80%.

Yeah a lot of crap or late ports no one will care about. I'm interested in see how some games like ME3 will translate to the Wii U, but purely from an outsiders perspective not in a "I'd buy it to see" way.

North American launch window lineup (Nov18th - March 2013):
505 Games - Funky Barn

2K Sports - NBA 2K13

Activision Publishing, Inc.

007™ Legends
Call of Duty®: Black Ops II
TRANSFORMERS PRIME™
Wipeout 3
Skylanders Giants™
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing

Capcom

Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate

D3Publisher

Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Ben 10: Omniverse™
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade

Disney Interactive

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Electronic Arts
Mass Effect™ 3
Madden NFL 13
EA SPORTS™ FIFA Soccer 13

Frozenbyte

Trine 2™: Director's Cut

Gaijin Games

Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Majesco Entertainment

Zumba® Fitness Core

Maximum Games

Jett Tailfin™

NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.

TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT™ 2 Wii U Edition
TANK! TANK! TANK!™

Nintendo

Nintendo Land™
New Super Mario Bros.™ U
NINJA GAIDEN™ 3: Razor's Edge
SiNG PARTY™
LEGO® City: Undercover
Wii Fit™ U
Game & Wario™
Pikmin™ 3
The Wonderful 101™

SEGA

Aliens: Colonial Marines™
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Shin'en
Nano Assault Neo

Tecmo Koei America Corporation

WARRIORS OROCHI® 3 Hyper
THQ
Darksiders® II
Wheel of Fortune®
JEOPARDY! ®
Two Tribes
Toki Tori 2

Ubisoft

Assassin's Creed® III
Just Dance® 4
Marvel Avengers™: Battle for Earth
Rabbids® Land
Sports Connection™
Your Shape®: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU™
Rayman Legends®

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Scribblenauts™ Unlimited
Game Party Champions
Batman: Arkham City™ Armored Edition

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/09/10

Thank you PA for delivering a brilliant idea that will never happen because Atari is fucking stupid.

There's actually number of concept that come out of that brilliant idea.

At the end of the day people buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games. I've seen enough here that I'm very casually starting to consider a preorder. I don't really give a crap about third party games on this system. That'll be gravy.

If I decide to do it at all. My gaming plate is so full as is.

I haven't bought anything for consoles in a while because of how much better PC/Steam games have become from a bang for your buck standpoint. The Wii-U has me somewhat interested but I will be holding off until I see reviews on it or try it at a friend's house.

TVii has moved me into watching this very closely as a possible buy. I am really not impressed by the halving of framerate when using two tablets though..

Atari holds the license to make D&D games, they've had it for ages actually.

AHH, OK I got it now.
Yeah that would be pretty awesome. Hopefully someone will see the benefit for new gameplay, I mean, thats the whole point.

$299 with an 8GB memory card?

Overpriced console. Low system RAM. Weird controller that many who've used said it feels awkward and its not even a real touchscreen.

No great launch titles (lots of ports of older games that have been out for ages). This is shaping up to be a real lackluster launch. The new Xbox next year will crush it in system power and launch games I bet.

Overpriced console. Low system RAM. Weird controller that many who've used said it feels awkward and its not even a real touchscreen.

No great launch titles (lots of ports of older games that have been out for ages). This is shaping up to be a real lackluster launch. The new Xbox next year will crush it in system power and launch games I bet.

I'm sure it will crush it in power but I doubt launch titles will be much better. Launch and launch window titles usually suck. It will probably be a lot more expensive as well.

North American launch window lineup (Nov18th - March 2013):
Call of Duty®: Black Ops II

haha...are you serious? My gut tells me that FPS games won't be much better on the Wii U then they were on the original Wii

Low system RAM? It has 1 GB dedicated for games and 1 GB dedicated for the OS.

Also, if I read correctly, BO2 was running 1080p @ 60 FPS. If it is being rendered natively at 1080, and not upscaled, that is impressive.

Nintendo's Wii U will launch with 8GB and 32GB internal memory models, but those limitations will be easily expandable.

"You can plug in a full-on three terabyte hard drive if you want. I'll love you as a digital consumer," Nintendo America CEO and president Reggie Fils-Aime told Engadget. "The reason we did it that way is that the cost of that type of storage memory is plummeting. What we didn't want to do is tie a profit model to something that's gonna rapidly decline over time. We'll let the consumer buy as much as they want, as cheaply as they want."

The memory expansion, like that on Sony's PlayStation 3, will be available through USB on Flash sticks or external hard drives.

Fils-Aime also stated the Wii U doesn't have the TiVO hardware built in. The DVR functionality will require an existing TiVo or DVR unit. How the two pieces of hardware will connect and work together is currently unclear.

It's not a "memory card".

Whenever I say the name, I sound like a European police siren.

That's really my only thought on the subject.

I am really quite underwhelmed. The whole thing absolutely confuses me. Guy at Gamestop was like, you can use the Wii U tablet as a second screen, play the whole game on it, and/or the system uses the original Wii remotes as controllers for multiple players. The whole thing sounds stupid to me. I had at one point all three current-gen consoles but now I only use my PS3 (mostly for Netflix) and play games on the PC.

Nothing excites me about the Wii U. I have yet to see any killer feature that would make me say," Wow, that might make gameplay actually unique and cool." But the tablet thing just seems like a mode for convenience. Yeah; so if mommy and daddy want to watch Sleepless in Seattle then little Jimmy can play Mario Party on the Tablet screen (latency/lag problems, anyone?). Or, if I am playing Mass Effect 3 then I can access my items on the tablet without having to go to a seperate in-game menu.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the whole thing just kinda lacks "innovation" and substitutes it for better graphics and convenience.

NOTE: Just did some Google searching, and I noticed this about the Wii U "Gamepad:" 6.2-inch, 854x480-pixel. Ugh... Wtf?

I predict this will be nowhere near the hype and excitement that the Wii was. Even I was standing in line to buy one to resell it on Ebay. lol

Last edited:
haha...are you serious? My gut tells me that FPS games won't be much better on the Wii U then they were on the original Wii

Why not? Should be just like the PS3/360 version if nothing else. Also they have the hardcore classic controller which looks exactly like the 360 controller

I am really quite underwhelmed. The whole thing absolutely confuses me. Guy at Gamestop was like, you can use the Wii U tablet as a second screen, play the whole game on it, and/or the system uses the original Wii remotes as controllers for multiple players. The whole thing sounds stupid to me. I had at one point all three current-gen consoles but now I only use my PS3 (mostly for Netflix) and play games on the PC.

Nothing excites me about the Wii U. I have yet to see any killer feature that would make me say," Wow, that might make gameplay actually unique and cool." But the tablet thing just seems like a mode for convenience. Yeah; so if mommy and daddy want to watch Sleepless in Seattle then little Jimmy can play Mario Party on the Tablet screen (latency/lag problems, anyone?). Or, if I am playing Mass Effect 3 then I can access my items on the tablet without having to go to a seperate in-game menu.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the whole thing just kinda lacks "innovation" and substitutes it for better graphics and convenience.

NOTE: Just did some Google searching, and I noticed this about the Wii U "Gamepad:" 6.2-inch, 854x480-pixel. Ugh... Wtf?

I predict this will be nowhere near the hype and excitement that the Wii was. Even I was standing in line to buy one to resell it on Ebay. lol

Look at some of the ZombiU trailers. The ones that really show off what you can do with the Gamepad. If that doesn't interest you a bit more, IDK then.

Look at some of the ZombiU trailers. The ones that really show off what you can do with the Gamepad. If that doesn't interest you a bit more, IDK then.

Okay, just checked this out...

http://youtu.be/ddXT0gjt3Os

but i'll be honest, I would wait for reviews. If they implement it well then that's great and the trailer looks really cool. But I was also really excited for that Kinect game Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor and the implementation was a lot worse than what they showed on gameplay trailers.

The console looks like it will do fine. It will get Nintendo exclusives, modern game engines (both console and PC) can be ported to it and it has a few handy specs the PS3/360 were too old to include.

The price is too high IMO, with Nintendo's desire to control storage yet again a big part of it. Whether for regular gaming (not using the new LCD controller) the WiiU matches or even slightly exceeds current console, it may not make a big difference. It may be cheaper to port current games and the tail end of this generation to the WiiU, but developers are already working on the next generation engines and games, and may exclude features or entire ports from the WiiU. And let's not even start on Nintendo's inability to make a competitive online/multiplayer infrastructure besides buying titles.

Not really excited.

Okay, just checked this out...

http://youtu.be/ddXT0gjt3Os

but i'll be honest, I would wait for reviews. If they implement it well then that's great and the trailer looks really cool. But I was also really excited for that Kinect game Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor and the implementation was a lot worse than what they showed on gameplay trailers.

I understand. I'm not a day one buyer of just about anything. Some games that cought my eye though...

ZombiU - looks like a good L4D type of game
Bayonetta 2 - first one was excellent
The Wonderful 101 - Platinum Games so it should be good
Tank! Tank! Tank! - looks like a fun party game
LEGO City Undercover - Picture GTA combined with Legos
Rayman Legends - Sequel to the awesome Origins and exclusive to Wii U this time
Scribblenauts Unlimited - If you played the others you should understand

I bet the Wii U's price will be low compared to the next-gen Xbox and Playstation. 360 was around $400 the first couple years and the $600 price tag on the PS3 hurt Sony so I'm betting they'll be at least $400 considering they'll probably use significantly more powerful hardware than what the Wii U has.

Yeah, I imagine the WiiU price will be the lowest of the next gen consoles (if only based on rumoured power). With that said, I'm sure MS and Sony will release different SKUs again and will likely have a 'budget/entry' SKU with a close to WiiU price point.

Im just hoping the GPU ends up being really badass, despite the months old report that the GPU would only be as good as the 360 / ps3. If that turns true, it'd be a day 1 buy.

Im just hoping the GPU ends up being really badass, despite the months old report that the GPU would only be as good as the 360 / ps3. If that turns true, it'd be a day 1 buy.

We won't know how powerful the system really is until late in it's life cycle. No system shows off it's full muscle right away.

I think someone usually does a tear down of the console early to determine its power.

I think someone usually does a tear down of the console early to determine its power.

Pure specs only help so much. Even comparing between them is only semi-useful. We do know that Epic believes it's not capable of handling UE4 so that says something.

I was apathetic towards the Wii U until today.... Now I am considering a preorder strongly.

Back