So what are your thoughts on the Wii U?

I think it will have 4-5 games that are cool and benefit from the system, but it will mostly be annoying and bad.

Clearly underpowered from my perspective, and roumers are stating that Activision and "other devs" more or less forced a "normal" controller on Nintendo. This indicates they do no plan on making extensive use of the WiiU's other tablet-controller-thing. The WiiU basically moves nintendo into the most powerful console of the "current" generation.

Actually I read, its actually slower then current consoles. The CPU is to slow to keep up. Forgot what article that was from.

I can't imagine most developers spending all that much time with the controller's features.
We’re in the era of multiplatform and nobody wants to spend extra time adding extra stuff for anything, be it the WiiU, PC, or whatever.
I honestly bet that most WiiU multiplatform games end up getting an inventory screen and static box art type of “features.”
The only way the WiiU controller will be properly used with be with exclusives and/or if the system truly takes off and becomes the lead platform.
I don’t really think upscaling Wii games will matter too much. Most PC emulators that can do that with old games use a crazy assortment of external filters and enhancements that make them look better. Normally upscaling/emulating the games will just make them a little less fuzzy a la the first gen PS3 does with PS2 games. Not really much of a selling point beyond allowing you to chuck your Wii and keep the games.
The more I look at the WiiU, the more I think it’ll be another system I want for Smash, Kart, Zelda, and little else.

Never thought I'd agree with anything this guy said. :)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-isnt-going-to-work-says-pachter-6387233
Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter has offered some harsh words about Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U console, saying during a Develop Conference presentation last week (via Edge) that the system plainly "isn't going to work."

Pachter probably isn't investing in Nintendo stock.

"I don’t get it," he said. "I think that essentially this is a solution in search of a problem. I mean, somebody had an idea--'let's make the controller a tablet'--and there aren't many games that are going to take advantage of that."

Pachter also claimed that Activision and publishers of other major franchises pressured Nintendo into developing the Wii U Pro Controller, a more traditional gamepad.

"Activision never said anything to me," he explained, "but I know that [for] big games like Call Of Duty they said, 'No, we're not putting it on there if you don't give us a conventional controller'. So they gave in."

Pachter had little faith in the original Wii at launch in 2006, calling the system "gimmicky." That system exploded with regards to popularity upon launch, and is currently the top-selling current-generation console. Pachter admitted this was true, but claimed that Nintendo's success will not be repeated.

"[The Wii] worked, they got lucky, [but] I don't think they're getting lucky with Wii U," he said. "I don't think they suck. I just think that they really believe that, 'If we're still novel, everything we do will work'. This isn't going to work. Hardcore gamers will buy them; hardcore Nintendo fanboys will buy it. They could put out a piece of cardboard and say that it'll play Mario and they'll buy it."

The Wii U is due out worldwide this holiday season.

Couldn't agree more.

if it wasn't for the Wii i would put some doubt that we would of ever seen MS kinetic and Sony useless Move... so i would be far from calling things like that a gimmic.. if anything the massive sales and initial success of the Wii turned around the console world showing that not everyone does care about HD gaming, Wii U will likley also see massive sales, but like the Wii will die off eventually and become stale.

if it wasn't for the Wii i would put some doubt that we would of ever seen MS kinetic and Sony useless Move...

Agreed.

so i would be far from calling things like that a gimmic..

Disagreed. It sold, but it's still a gimmick. Just like 3D is a gimmick. They have yet to put out more than a few dozen games in the library that are nothing more than gimmicks. If 50% or even 25% of the total Wii library were games that were not based on gimmick nonsense, then I'd say maybe you have an argument....but they're not, and you don't. It's still a gimmick. Wii Sports is still the best use of the Wii waggle that there is, and it's a glorified 5 game tech demo.

if anything the massive sales and initial success of the Wii turned around the console world showing that not everyone does care about HD gaming,

Wii showed that people who normally don't buy games will actually turn around and buy games if the price and reason is right. It proved nothing about whether or not HD gaming is cared about or not; the two have nothing to do with each other.

You can't just say "the Wii sold like gangbusters and it's only 480P at best so people don't care about HD gaming" just like you can't say "the 360 and Ps3 outsold the 3DS so people don't care about handhelds or 3D gaming".

Wii Sports is still the best use of the Wii waggle that there is, and it's a glorified 5 game tech demo.

I say Zelda: Skyward Sword is very impressive with the Wii Motion Plus. Also Tiger Woods works so well you almost have to be Tiger himself to play it.

who wouldathunk that the OP would be trashing Nintendo.....Wii U will do just fine as Nintendo plays to a different crowd.

3DS failed on price.......not on featureset. Initially that thing cost more than a Wii did at launch.....

Last edited:
i can only see a use in the "tablet" if it allowed streaming of the video. as in, the game video is wirelessly streamed to the tablet to allow mobile local gaming. if i'm playing something and my wife wants to watch TV, i can just play directly on the tablet. rendering would be done by the console. like a local Onlive.

The tablet screen is just streaming stuff from the console (it's not rendering images locally), so what you want is technically possible.

Nintendo also demoed that functionality last year at e3, I think with the Zelda tech demo.

I hope all virtual console titles work with the screen switching.

3DS failed on price.......not on featureset. Initially that thing cost more than a Wii did at launch.....

Not true. They were both the same price at launch: $249.99. If inflation is accounted for, then technically the 3DS had a lower price point than the Wii, but in any case they were the same dollar amount.

Wii
Wikipedia said:
The Wii was launched in the United States on November 19, 2006 at $249.99.
3DS
Wikipedia said:
On January 19, 2011, Nintendo held two simultaneous press conferences in Amsterdam and New York City, where they revealed all of the features of the Nintendo 3DS.[46] In North America, the release date was confirmed as March 27, 2011 with a retail price of $249.99.

They should of had gorilla glass and a capacitive touchscreen on that controller. The only way I'd buy it is if the Wii U Zelda was new and compelling.

Not true. They were both the same price at launch: $249.99. If inflation is accounted for, then technically the 3DS had a lower price point than the Wii, but in any case they were the same dollar amount.

Wii
3DS

uhm when the 3ds launched a Wii was $199.......just saying....

uhm when the 3ds launched a Wii was $199.......just saying....

I bought my sister a new red 3DS for her birthday with a few games, and she barely uses it now :eek: , also, I kind of want it for Mario Kart.

I don't understand the need for the Wii-U though, honestly. I can confidently say that no one I know will buy one.

Crytek working with Nintendo; Crysis 3 Wii U a possibility

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...g-with-nintendo-crysis-3-wii-u-a-possibility/

Crytek has revealed that it's "working with Nintendo" and hasn't ruled out the possibility of making a Wii U version of Crysis 3.

Wii U Screenshot
In a wide-ranging interview published today, producer Mike Read told CVG the studio's gorgeous FPS sequel could yet appear on Nintendo's upcoming console, despite recent comments strongly suggesting otherwise.

"I wouldn't say there's no chance," he said. "I wouldn't say no chance. I mean the Wii U still doesn't have any kind of release [date] attached to it at this point. Who knows what the future will bring with it. I can definitely say that we are working with Nintendo, and that's about all I can say on that front.

"I wouldn't rule it out, but there has really been no official releases associated with the Wii U yet, and given that we're releasing Crysis in an eight month time period in February of 2013, we can't play off of what their schedules are. I wouldn't rule it out, but you know, it is a possibility."

Asked in May whether a Wii U version of Crysis 3 was a possibility, Crytek's director of creative development Rasmus Hojengaard told CVG: "We're not really talking about that now."

"So you're saying there's a chance!"
Translation: <0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% :D

If it's an easy port, they'll do it. Given the architecture (being based off tweaked 360 hardware), it's probably not a long shot. Shouldn't be too hard, it'll sell some copies and they'd probably make some money.
Are they going to put in the R&D to use the tablet with the game, or cut corners and take the easy way out and make it a "pro controller required" type game? That's the question I want to hear asked if/when they decide to do it.

I think they're more likely to port it (and require the pro controller) rather than they are to invest the time money and effort into making it work with the tablet.

This can't be right....
$49.99-99.99 at Game stop

Same thing on Amazon

I haven't paid much attention to consoles lately but everything I've seen the Wii-U is going to be on equal ground as the current PS3 an Xbox versions. WTF makes these games $100 worthy.

If MS and Sony follow suit I seriously don't see next gen game consoles doing much of anything.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This can't be right....

Same thing on Amazon

I haven't paid much attention to consoles lately but everything I've seen the Wii-U is going to be on equal ground as the current PS3 an Xbox versions. WTF makes these games $100 worthy.

If MS and Sony follow suit I seriously don't see next gen game consoles doing much of anything.

There's no way in hell I'd pay a $100 for a videogame, especially not a WiiU game that's apparently gonna look just alittle bit better than the 360/PS3 counterpart.

This can't be right....

Same thing on Amazon

They have been that way for months, and Nintendo already went on the record saying Gamestop pulled those prices out of their ass.

They have been that way for months, and Nintendo already went on the record saying Gamestop pulled those prices out of their ass.

Kind of what I figured....Amazon must be following their lead.

anybody gonna buy a wii U? i am intrigued but tbh i could definitely live without it.. who needs a console when you have a computer like mine

I've recently decided that yes I will buy one eventually. I'll buy the eventual wiiU "lite" when it drops to $199 2.5 years from now. I want one so I can play wii games and virtual console classics on hdmi.

i am curious what the launch date price is gonna be. probably 300$?

remember when the ps3 came out it was like 600$ hahahhaha

i dont think they can get away with that shit any more

I have been very sour on the Wii U since first hearing about it. I have not had a Nintendo console since the N64. However, if you look at the specifications of the Wii U there are some redeeming qualities to it. Finally they will have a console that will have enough power to do true HD ports or new versions of some of their best titles.

I will take a wait and see approach, but this could actually be a decent console. The non-tablet controllers look great.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out. Sony will go the 4K route, Nintendo with this, and who knows what MS will do, will they release the same year? Will the Wii U be cool enough to force MS and Sony to race to market? Will Princess Peach finally reveal her peaches?

I think my concern about the Wii U being able to have good ports comes down to when Sony and MS debut their new systems. I'm sure it'll have some rockin' ports for the next 8-9 months, but what if Sony and MS have new systems that hit next Fall? Then all of a sudden Nintendo's ports will be "last gen" again.
I think the Wii U needed to be a big leap above the current consoles so it can stay relevant in the next 18 months when the other new consoles hit.

At the same time, maybe thing timing will be a strength? Back when the PS3 and 360 were announced, people were acting like the PS3 was going to slaughter the 360. However that year head start convinced enough people to buy now instead of waiting. If Sony and MS are late, that could happen again.

I think timing effects Nintendo less than S&M.

I also expect that there wont be much new to Sony or MS's offerings. Maybe more power, 4k, but I don't hear any potential innovations being talked about.

Also, if people get their Nintedo titles in HD for the first time a LOT of people wont care about what S&M are doing. Unless they are suckers like me that buy all of these sutpid machines.

Nintendo's going to win because of their software, if they have a decent platform people will buy it. The Original Wii not being HD could have been a master stroke of genius because now they have something to offer in a new console.

Fun speculating....

I think my concern about the Wii U being able to have good ports comes down to when Sony and MS debut their new systems. I'm sure it'll have some rockin' ports for the next 8-9 months, but what if Sony and MS have new systems that hit next Fall? Then all of a sudden Nintendo's ports will be "last gen" again.
I think the Wii U needed to be a big leap above the current consoles so it can stay relevant in the next 18 months when the other new consoles hit.

At the same time, maybe thing timing will be a strength? Back when the PS3 and 360 were announced, people were acting like the PS3 was going to slaughter the 360. However that year head start convinced enough people to buy now instead of waiting. If Sony and MS are late, that could happen again.

its an funny situation really.. cause for people like you and I and hard members in generally (we go hard ) so hardcore is where we want to be naturally. the wii sold more consoles then any of its competitors.. it just wasnt to anybody like you or i. i think the wii u will be a success because now it appeals to the same people with a wii and it appeals to you and i as being the first next gen console out in a LONG time and it looks like it has some amazing power behind it.

idk i think that we will have to see what MS and sony come up with but i have a feeling its not gonna be crazy far above the wii u anyways. we are getting closer to a point where graphical upgrades are marginal and tiny.. i mean look at the last playstation 2 game and then play uncharted 3.. that is a VAST improvement. I dont see improvements like that happening again upgrades are just smaller now. even crysis 3 looks amazing.. and the graphical improvements are cool.. but theyre arent insane.

the wii sold more consoles then any of its competitors.. it just wasnt to anybody like you or i. i think the wii u will be a success because now it appeals to the same people with a wii and it appeals to you and i as being the first next gen console out in a LONG time and it looks like it has some amazing power behind it.

1) The Wii audience (casuals) I don't see why they buy a Wii U. In order for that to happen, in let's say a moderate level (33%?), that means that people who never bought a console before a Wii are going to buy a Wii U because it has a tablet and HD graphics. Sorry, that makes no sense. Clearly they didn't care about HD because they bought a Wii over a 360 or Ps3 to begin with. The Wii U isn't offering them much other than 1 user being able to use a tablet; the other 3 players get to use Wiimotes, which is something they can already do with the Wii they already own and paid for.

2) The idea of first one out of the gate = good idea, well that never happens. Never. First console always loses. I can't recall one time where the first console ended up staying ahead once the other consoles came out. You're dealing with old hardware vs ramped up advertising and buzz off "new" consoles.

3) The idea of a Wii U having "amazing power" behind it, ehh how is that exactly? It's a slightly beefed up 360 and it's still technology that was barely relevant and already outdated when it was released nearly 7 years ago. Now all the sudden you clear the dust off the chassis and bump a few figures up and it's "amazing" again? Huh? :rolleyes: Maybe you're talking about the tablet. Sure, it's a neat idea. It also continues the trend of bucking a normal controller for something else just for the sake of something else. How well did that work out for the Wii exactly? Tons of shovelware, tons of waggle/mini-games, the rest of the stuff it does not work that well for. I don't see how anyone can expect anything but the same to happen with a tablet that will be even easier for them to halfass just because they can merely make it a 2nd display for maps, statuses etc. and get away with it. That in of itself is rather humorous to me because people complained about Wii developers being lazy; I think we ain't seen nothing yet. :D

I'll say this again ~ I don't see the Wii U as a success. It's a hard sell to anyone IMHO, because the casuals aren't going to drop $250+ for HD and a tablet for 1 player. I'd like to see a poll to current Wii owners who've owned theirs for 1+ years and see what their playtime with the Wii is, because most people I know who own Wii's haven't powered theirs on in months, if it's even plugged in or even physically available (ie hasn't been sold to Gamestop already). I have a hard time believing that people who bought Wii's for bowling and WiiFit are still actively using their consoles.

Then on the other side you have the hardcore crowd that typically did not like the Wii, probably bought one anyway, but doesn't really use it seriously or spend much time with it over a 360 or Ps3. Those same people are probably more likely to buy a bunch of used 360 or Ps3 games playing catch up on the games that they don't have already rather than buying a Wii U on launch "just because". Those people I would say are also more likely to wait 6+ months for new Xbox/Playstation console news, possibly confirmed specs, release date and prices.....they either wait then, dump anything they've saved up towards that console....or they outright buy a Wii U.

I sincerely doubt the Wii U is going to do much of anything. I'm not anti-Nintendo, however, I do think they need a kick in the ass because they got lucky with the Wii and I think it's jaded their viewpoint to the idea that they can do no wrong no matter what they come up with. IMHO Nintendo has put out too little too late for far too long and it's about time it catches up to them and everyone else quits buying what they're shoveling. I want to see SNES era Nintendo; they kicked everyone's ass for breakfast, lunch, dinner, leftovers AND midnight snacks. SNES was and still is IMHO the greatest console ever created.

Last edited:
1) The Wii audience (casuals) I don't see why they buy a Wii U. In order for that to happen, in let's say a moderate level (33%?), that means that people who never bought a console before a Wii are going to buy a Wii U because it has a tablet and HD graphics. Sorry, that makes no sense. Clearly they didn't care about HD because they bought a Wii over a 360 or Ps3 to begin with. The Wii U isn't offering them much other than 1 user being able to use a tablet; the other 3 players get to use Wiimotes, which is something they can already do with the Wii they already own and paid for.

2) The idea of first one out of the gate = good idea, well that never happens. Never. First console always loses. I can't recall one time where the first console ended up staying ahead once the other consoles came out. You're dealing with old hardware vs ramped up advertising and buzz off "new" consoles.

3) The idea of a Wii U having "amazing power" behind it, ehh how is that exactly? It's a slightly beefed up 360. You can put a supercharger on a 360 but it's still technology that was barely relevant and already outdated when it was released nearly 7 years ago. Now all the sudden you clear the dust off the chassis and bump a few figures up and it's "amazing" again? Huh? :rolleyes:

I'll say this again ~ I don't see the Wii U as a success. It's a hard sell to anyone IMHO, because the casuals aren't going to drop $250+ for HD and a tablet for 1 player. I'd like to see a poll to current Wii owners who've owned theirs for 1+ years and see what their playtime with the Wii is, because most people I know who own Wii's haven't powered theirs on in months, if it's even plugged in or even physically available (ie hasn't been sold to Gamestop already). I have a hard time believing that people who bought Wii's for bowling and WiiFit are still actively using their consoles.

Then on the other side you have the hardcore crowd that typically did not like the Wii, probably bought one anyway, but doesn't really use it seriously or spend much time with it over a 360 or Ps3. Those same people are probably more likely to buy a bunch of used 360 or Ps3 games playing catch up on the games that they don't have already rather than buying a Wii U on launch "just because". Those people I would say are also more likely to wait 6+ months for new Xbox/Playstation console news, possibly confirmed specs, release date and prices.....they either wait then, dump anything they've saved up towards that console....or they outright buy a Wii U.

I sincerely doubt the Wii U is going to do much of anything. I'm not anti-Nintendo, however, I do think they need a kick in the ass because they got lucky with the Wii and I think it's jaded their viewpoint to the idea that they can do no wrong no matter what they come up with. IMHO Nintendo has put out too little too late for far too long and it's about time it catches up to them and everyone else quits buying what they're shoveling.

all good points. im excited to see what happens. i do think the controller is a brilliant idea though. just think about playing zelda and having your inventory in your lap :D

all good points. im excited to see what happens. i do think the controller is a brilliant idea though. just think about playing zelda and having your inventory in your lap :D

I definitely [strike=]think[/s] know that Nintendo knows what they're doing and they'll come out with some reasons to want to buy one. The issue I have is I've gotten past the point of Nintendo games being reason enough for me to buy a Nintendo console. At this point having grown up on an NES (but played a little Colecovision/Atari before it), I'm throwing in the towel on Mario. I could play Zelda and Metroid for probably another 5-10 years depending on what comes out and what they do with it.

That being said....it's still the same 3 franchises, all over again, for the umpteenth time. Nintendo still has not had 3rd party support past the first year or two since the SNES days. If that changes, maybe, just maybe, I'll have some more faith in Nintendo. As it is, I just don't have that faith right now.....Nintendo let me continue growing up without keeping me in mind and Microsoft + Sony have filled that wedge in my gamer heart and basically given me everything I want now as a gamer. ;)

I definitely [strike=]think[/s] know that Nintendo knows what they're doing and they'll come out with some reasons to want to buy one. The issue I have is I've gotten past the point of Nintendo games being reason enough for me to buy a Nintendo console. At this point having grown up on an NES (but played a little Colecovision/Atari before it), I'm throwing in the towel on Mario. I could play Zelda and Metroid for probably another 5-10 years depending on what comes out and what they do with it.

That being said....it's still the same 3 franchises, all over again, for the umpteenth time. Nintendo still has not had 3rd party support past the first year or two since the SNES days. If that changes, maybe, just maybe, I'll have some more faith in Nintendo. As it is, I just don't have that faith right now.....Nintendo let me continue growing up without keeping me in mind and Microsoft + Sony have filled that wedge in my gamer heart and basically given me everything I want now as a gamer. ;)

true true although some of the release titles show promise, not because of the release titles themselves but because of what they represent for instance batman AC / mass effect 3. more serious games that are good looking and fun to play for us hardcore players.

damn i would buy one for 250

I think a lot of people would. That price point really isn't any surprise to me personally.

I think that rumor has some pretty good juice behind it. It "feels" about right.

We'll see soon enough.

Back