So what are the "must have" mods for Oblivion?

I'm not talking about the ones that are cute or a novelty. I'm talking about the mods that you guys use everytime you play no matter what because it improves the looks or the performance of Oblivion. What are the core mods that you guys couldn't imagine playing Oblivion without?

I play with the water mod. It makes the water more transparent and "pretty". You can make out objects in the water better and the waves/ripples look more realistic. Obviously the reason Bethesda made the water murky was so that you needed to explore it. I think the water mod blends the water in better with the surrounding environment. There is no performance hit, either.

I've heard the "fast horse" mod is cool but I haven't used that.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Obviously the reason Bethesda made the water murky was so that you needed to explore it.

Cant really agree with that comment, no offense, but i've been swimming around looking for secret underwater dungeons for ages. I've played 84 hours so far and found NONE. Now i'm not saying that there arent any since there is plenty of water. But i would have expected to find one by now. Morrowind had a few that i found. Including sunken ships and i was looking forward to finding some in oblivion. Not a one yet.
:(

Time will tell though.

The water mod DOES look fantastic though

Well there are fish to kill, plants to harvest, clams with pears to harvest...

I would think there would be some sort of underwater entrance to somewhere, too. :( That's kind of a bummer.

But they DO want you to explore the water.

Skirrow said:
Cant really agree with that comment, no offense, but i've been swimming around looking for secret underwater dungeons for ages. I've played 84 hours so far and found NONE. Now i'm not saying that there arent any since there is plenty of water. But i would have expected to find one by now. Morrowind had a few that i found. Including sunken ships and i was looking forward to finding some in oblivion. Not a one yet.
:(
Time will tell though.

The water mod DOES look fantastic though

Try the lake near Bravil, one of the quests for the Grey Fox, takes you out to a tower that has a wizard you must rob. But if you keep swimming lower and lower, you fight this bastard of a fish and then emerge in the lake.

I use the Powerful Arrow mod, make the arrows useful, they don't own, but they seem to do more than nothing!
I use the strenght increas mod. It changes the multiplier to 25 instead of 10. Allows you to carry far more than you could normally!

So far I haven't heard of a mod I liked the idea of. I like the current balance.

The only thing I could maybe understand is the strength multiplier mod. Yeah it's a pain dumping stuff, but I still do it. I have plenty of money, so obviously it's not making the game much harder.

I probably have about 20 mods installed on my oblivion. Let me see if I can remember some to list here (Im at work right now).
Pet Shop Mod (Allows you to purchase a buddy to journey with you, I am a ranger so it make s sense for this mod)
Arrow Velocity Mod (The original arrow physics were horribly unrealistic and this mod fixes that)
Call Horse + Saddle Bags mod (Allows you to call your horse and store items in it)
Bow Damage mod (Increases the bow damage a bit to make it more realistic)
Clear Water Mod (Already explained)
Camera Mod (Makes the camera like the one from morrowind)
Golden Arrow Shop (Adds a shop that sells custom arrows)
LOD Texture Replacement (Ups the res of those far-away textures)
No More Messages (Takes out the loading and horse stabled msgs)
Visual Enhancements Mod (Adds better effects for magic weapons)
Spell Grouping Mod (Groups similar spells together, makes them easier to find)
Better Sky (Self explainitory)
Better Faces (Ups the poly-count of faces)
Movable Bodies (Makes the bodies easier to move)

Is there any other place to find these two mods: Landscape LOD Replacement and Landscape LOD Replacement (Border Regions). The main site that its on which is Tessource.net is getting hit really hard and is really really slow and cant even start the download. Anyone have them that would be willing to share or know of any other mirrors. Both of these mods were created by shaja.

Must have mods:

BTmod (improves the UI)
LOD texture mod (either the 2048x2048 version or 4096x4096 version)
LOD shadow map mod
Better water mod

Those are the core mods that greatly improve the visual experience of the game. There are a few more graphical mods that are nice but probably not essential:

Better sky mod
Colored map mod

Beyond that, you can choose to add other mods which will change the gameplay such as the leveling mods, arrow mods, horse mods, etc.

MrSatan said:
I probably have about 20 mods installed on my oblivion. Let me see if I can remember some to list here (Im at work right now).
Pet Shop Mod (Allows you to purchase a buddy to journey with you, I am a ranger so it make s sense for this mod)
Arrow Velocity Mod (The original arrow physics were horribly unrealistic and this mod fixes that)
Call Horse + Saddle Bags mod (Allows you to call your horse and store items in it)
Bow Damage mod (Increases the bow damage a bit to make it more realistic)
Clear Water Mod (Already explained)
Camera Mod (Makes the camera like the one from morrowind)
Golden Arrow Shop (Adds a shop that sells custom arrows)
LOD Texture Replacement (Ups the res of those far-away textures)
No More Messages (Takes out the loading and horse stabled msgs)
Visual Enhancements Mod (Adds better effects for magic weapons)
Spell Grouping Mod (Groups similar spells together, makes them easier to find)
Better Sky (Self explainitory)
Better Faces (Ups the poly-count of faces)
Movable Bodies (Makes the bodies easier to move)
You got links to these?

Saddle Bags
Clear Water
LOD Texture
Better Sky
Movable Bodies (cause I've tried carrying a corpse up steps and you can't do it.)

I have the BT Mod installed, but have no idea how to get it to work or what it does. I put all the ESP files into my Data folder but I noticed there are a lot more files. Also is there a mod that allows you to fight from the back of your horse? It sucks having to dismount to actually fight.

Quest Award Leveling - Makes quest awards with levels (like lvl. 1, 5, 10, 15, 20) level with you instead of being stuck at the level you were when you got them.

Harvest - Makes flora that has already been harvested look different or disappear (depending on what it is). Resets to normal when the cell resets (every few days).

Kickban's House of Wonders - Allows you to buy dropable display cases and lights for your house.

BTmod is a must imo.
It basically helps with the UI, improves features of it, removes a bit of the consolitis which it suffered with.

To the guy who said he doesnt need mods cause the game is balanced, many mods do not interfere with balance, but just make the gameplay better, like BTmod being the best example, just UI improvements.

Majin said:
Try the lake near Bravil, one of the quests for the Grey Fox, takes you out to a tower that has a wizard you must rob. But if you keep swimming lower and lower, you fight this bastard of a fish and then emerge in the lake.

I kept thinking that's where you were supposed to go. I got stuck on that quest for like two hours beating the fish and then escaping to the sea, only to emerge from the ocean to find out I was in the middle of freaking nowhere.

Yeah I can´t find half the mods listed like better spell effects and faces :(

Also this LOD mods does it come with a performance hit?

Six in my opinion:

edit: sorry for the no links, im at work. theyre all on www.tessource.com though

Better Faces .6
4096x4096 Core Area Textures
2048x2048 Remote Textures
Modded Diffuse/Normal Maps
Better Water
BTmod <-- an absolute must

Also, non essential depending on your play style:

Horse Commands 1.0a (calls your horse within a 5000unit range if it runs off)
Saddlebags

I dont like any of the scaling or loot mods, personally, im really happy with the difficultly level, im at level 15, and it presents a nice challenge (makes the game last longer, even though that not exactly an issue :) )

Just got BTmod and it's fantastic, thumbs up ***** :D
Get it if you don't have it.

I just got a mod that allows me to buy a hood that protects me from the sun. Now all the BS of being a Vampire is gone!
Only bug it has it that every time your vampire stats level up you have to take off the hood and put it back on for it to work.

arentol said:
Quest Award Leveling - Makes quest awards with levels (like lvl. 1, 5, 10, 15, 20) level with you instead of being stuck at the level you were when you got them.

Obsolutely... When I first realized that if you wait to do the quests until you are higher level, it made me not want to do any quests until later in the game. This mod allows me to enjoy playing quests without obsessing over the reward.

arentol said:
Harvest - Makes flora that has already been harvested look different or disappear (depending on what it is). Resets to normal when the cell resets (every few days).

Definately another favorite of mine. It comes with the clamharvest esp file which I don't use though. The clamharvest esp wouldn't be bad if it randomized the quality of the pearls instead of just getting what your level should get.

I'll be trying lvl scaling/loot mods on my 2nd play through. My character is lvl 34 now, and every mob I fight has top enchanted gear. Little ridiculous :(

I'd like to earn or find my gear. As it is now all I have to do is kill afew bandit camps, and vola, I'm fkn uber/rich!

Which is what I hate about the game.

Hey! I'm a level 20 Warrior, the Hero of Kvatch, who has entered multiple gates to Oblivion and single-handedly closed them. I have faced down assassins, helped the emporer, and am the Grand Champion of the Fighter's Guild and the Arena!

Too bad his lowly bandit can kick my ass with his full Daedric Armor and weapons. I might as well pay him the 20 gold he is demanding.

The item leveling mods are essential to making the game interesting, IMO.

I was thinking of starting a thread that lists the best mods out there, that have been tested and work fine. Since I am a mod fiend I thought I could post the ones I have tested out and also link to them. Would people be interested in that kind of thread?

MrSatan said:
I was thinking of starting a thread that lists the best mods out there, that have been tested and work fine. Since I am a mod fiend I thought I could post the ones I have tested out and also link to them. Would people be interested in that kind of thread?

I like it! Would you keep updating it and stuff? We could even ask Rich to make it sticky since Oblivion is the main thread topic here.

Cool I'll start an official mod thread when I get home and get to my links. We can get a good list going of working, useful mods.

Back