So this is the "XBoy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosp

Limp Gawd
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/17/rumor-msfts-zune-to-feature-live-anywhere/

I'm sorry, but a monthly-paid "live" subscription service isn't going to make me stop laughing that the XBox team created this monstrosity. $399 (same price as a 360) and a name worse than Wii? (It's Argo code name was even less stupid). Does Microsoft's gaming division enjoy being in the red all the time? The worst part is that the only games you'll be playing on this thing are going to be even more basic than the ones on your cell phones...

I know this doesn't quite belong in the gaming section, but everyone thought the Argo would be a "PSP killer" or a "DS killer" as well as an "Ipod" killer (and it's I don't think it's going to be killing any of those, to be honest, Zune=DOA).

$399 is simply a "price range" that they are shooting for (they said it would be released around the same price as the 60gb ipod... i.e. $399). Stupid, I know.

The circular button in the middle looks like it's made of very cheap plastic with very cheap spraypaint on top. Also, the rest looks like crap.

I'm pretty heavily in the MS camp, but the price is wrong, the name is wrong, and the thing is just fugly. I was hoping for an iPod killer but now "I am afraid, seňor."

the buttons on the left and right were so stolen from at 3rd-gen iPod.

Hey, as long as the battery life is good--say maybe 6 hours of video 30 hours of music ACTUAL not ADVERTISED--then I think that price is pretty decent. Oh yea, and it cant be much larger than the iPod either. I think with that size screen and a decent battery life they *could* have something that can compete with the iPod.

I dont think even with the Live Anywhere stuff that this is designed to be a handheld gaming device. Rather it might have the capability to tune your Forza car, or edit the rosters for your Madden team before the next league game.

Erasmus354 said:
Hey, as long as the battery life is good--say maybe 6 hours of video 30 hours of music ACTUAL not ADVERTISED--then I think that price is pretty decent. Oh yea, and it cant be much larger than the iPod either. I think with that size screen and a decent battery life they *could* have something that can compete with the iPod.

I dont think even with the Live Anywhere stuff that this is designed to be a handheld gaming device. Rather it might have the capability to tune your Forza car, or edit the rosters for your Madden team before the next league game.

Wow, I would've figured even the most hardcore !!!!!!s could have a field day with this one. So, with Live Anywhere, hell even just the WiFi capability... where is the input device? The circle gonna do it all? This thing will fall off the face of the planet unless they sell it for $99. ZUUUNNEEEE!!! :)

rayman2k2 said:
the buttons on the left and right were so stolen from at 3rd-gen iPod.

Yeah, I'm just looking at my 30GB 3G and thinking that myself. They're not exactly the same, but I smell photoshop. Even the center wheel looks a lot like my ipod's.

Maybe these photos have already been discussed here, but I'm going to call this design a mockup.

Oh, it is indeed a pre-release shot. But it's the real deal.... That's basically what it will look like.

http://www.zunescene.com/ - and it begins already. lol
- equipped the zune with 16 hour wave cell battery
- The device will be manufactured by Flextronics, the same company that is responsible for production of the XBOX 360 (great)

As much as I love to hate the iPod, I have to be even more wary of this thing. MS needs to get out of gaming, get out of entertainment devices, and just work on making a good OS.

First Paragraph said:
Microsoft's Xbox-team-created, would be iPod killer, the awkwardly named Zune, will supposedly share the Live Anywhere architecture with cell phones and Vista boxen, extending the Xbox experience to your music playing handheld (not Xboy). Digital Music News reports:

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Lurk more, please.

So the nightmare is becoming a reality. Does MS has some orignality in them or they have to steal every single idea from others. And Zune??? what in the world does that mean?

bazylik said:
So the nightmare is becoming a reality. Does MS has some orignality in them or they have to steal every single idea from others. And Zune??? what in the world does that mean?
What does iPod mean?

o jeeze, you people need to chill, the design isn't that bad...

if it is 350 or less i'm buying it... I would love something that syncs with media center video and music seamlessly, and I hate all the itunes bloat. Also, MS doesn't make 1/2 bad products anyway, so I'm hopeful for this one. That mockup is a decent design too, though it could be a little cleaner looking.

*hoping

As long as it isn't another UMPC, MS is at least on the right tack. I was expecting something totally wrong such as a UMPC so I am not as disappointed as some.

tosp said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/17/rumor-msfts-zune-to-feature-live-anywhere/

I'm sorry, but a monthly-paid "live" subscription service isn't going to make me stop laughing that the XBox team created this monstrosity. $399 (same price as a 360) and a name worse than Wii? (It's Argo code name was even less stupid). Does Microsoft's gaming division enjoy being in the red all the time? The worst part is that the only games you'll be playing on this thing are going to be even more basic than the ones on your cell phones...

I know this doesn't quite belong in the gaming section, but everyone thought the Argo would be a "PSP killer" or a "DS killer" as well as an "Ipod" killer (and it's I don't think it's going to be killing any of those, to be honest, Zune=DOA).

All this sounds so familiar...where have I heard this before.

You are drawing a lot of conclusions from a rumor of a rumor of a rumor.

NulloModo said:
As much as I love to hate the iPod, I have to be even more wary of this thing. MS needs to get out of gaming, get out of entertainment devices, and just work on making a good OS.

Not really, but good try.

Well if that "16 hour wavecell battery" thing is true then it better be for video playback. 16 hour music playback is crap...the exact same as the iPod. I said it before and I'll say it again, if they can double the battery life of the iPod, keep that nice large screen, and keep the unit marginally larger than the iPod then they have a winner, even at a 50-100$ price premium. Will it dethrone the iPod? Not likely, but it will be able to compete and put up a fight. People need to lose the misconception that this is meant to target the PSP and DS when it is designed as a music/media player not a game player.

i dont habe $400, but if i did, i'd buy a 360 as well. ive dropped my ipod 4 times on the cement outside school and it still runs great, so it wont be replaced until theres a knife stuck in it or something :cool:.

Steve said:
All this sounds so familiar...where have I heard this before.

You are drawing a lot of conclusions from a rumor of a rumor of a rumor.

Rumours are consistently posted on your board. This product is indeed a concept, but a real concept (this is the infamous "Argo"). And if the rumours are anywhere near true about its pricepoint, Allard and crew will see the <>= $399 spent on a product that actually provides me with some value, and that is the 360. Not the Xune. iPods, love 'em or hate 'em, function just fine for a great majority of the population.

tosp said:
Rumours are consistently posted on your board. This product is indeed a concept, but a real concept (this is the infamous "Argo"). And if the rumours are anywhere near true about its pricepoint, Allard and crew will see the <>= $399 spent on a product that actually provides me with some value, and that is the 360. Not the Xune. iPods, love 'em or hate 'em, function just fine for a great majority of the population.

When I said sounds familiar...I meant you.

Steve said:
When I said sounds familiar...I meant you.

Well, congratulations, I sound like most of the internet on this one :p
(a collective "wtf" that rivals that of the Wii name, and the PS3 pricepoint)

tosp said:
Well, congratulations, I sound like most of the internet on this one :p
(a collective "wtf" that rivals that of the Wii name, and the PS3 pricepoint)

With the relatively little still known about it how can you immediately assume that your position is the correct one? I mean you cant even tell the size of the unit from any of the pictures. Are you immediately saying that spending an extra $100 over an iPod isn't worth it if this greatly improves video playback, has WiFi capability and plays music just as well?

The iPod simply isn't a video player yet, the screen is decent but the battery life is, well, crap. The 30GB is lucky to get 1.5 hours of battery life on video playback. If the "Zune" can maintain even 5-6 hours of video playback with its much larger screen I say that alone is worth the extra 100$ premium over the iPod.

Erasmus354 said:
With the relatively little still known about it how can you immediately assume that your position is the correct one? I mean you cant even tell the size of the unit from any of the pictures. Are you immediately saying that spending an extra $100 over an iPod isn't worth it if this greatly improves video playback, has WiFi capability and plays music just as well?

The iPod simply isn't a video player yet, the screen is decent but the battery life is, well, crap. The 30GB is lucky to get 1.5 hours of battery life on video playback. If the "Zune" can maintain even 5-6 hours of video playback with its much larger screen I say that alone is worth the extra 100$ premium over the iPod.

Well, have a look at its screen. Unless you're planning on watching the videos sideways, and unless this thing is much thicker than an iPod video (for a better battery) - would you say that its suited for video? Heck, the PSP is better suited for video. I'm hoping this prototype has some drastic changes, otherwise I will *predict* (not assume) that this thing is going to be duking it out for Creative's 5% share of the market, if that. Maybe competition for iRiver or something, but much like Sony's attempts - I don't think it will be any threat to Apple.

JethroXP said:
Could it be the return of Steveip?

If that was Steviep this thread would be about how the DS and the Wii rule, and not about how Apple will wipe the floor with the Zune. The justification for starting this thread, imo, was correct in that this is a pretty stupid idea if the price point is anywhere near being correct. With all the rumours flying around this board about Microsoft's portable gaming machine (the Argo) I'd say that thread quashes them quite nicely, despite its basis in pre-release info.

Guys the gaming handheld is coming after this Zune thingy. Do you think MS is dumb enough to dive head first into the market ? Of course not... First came the UMPCs... now the Zune, and once the hardware is reduced in size/price .. expect a fully functional gaming handheld to come out...

...like 2 years from now.

I think most here at [H] thought before clicking 'reply.'

JethroXP said:
Could it be the return of Steveip?

LOL... yeah, I'm a Nintendo die-hard!! Explains the XBox in my living room. Just because I don't like Live, and, like most people, think Zune is so-far a stupid venture, doesn't make me some !!!!!!. Call me a person who's glass is half-empty, or a skeptic of nearly everything in this stagnant gaming industry that I've been a part of for over 15 years, but not a banned !!!!!!.

tosp said:
LOL... yeah, I'm a Nintendo die-hard!! Explains the XBox in my living room. Just because I don't like Live, and, like most people, think Zune is so-far a stupid venture, doesn't make me some !!!!!!. Call me a person who's glass is half-empty, or a skeptic of nearly everything in this stagnant gaming industry that I've been a part of for over 15 years, but not a banned !!!!!!.

If you've been part of it for 15 years and dislike it that much, perhaps it's time to move on?

JethroXP said:
If you've been part of it for 15 years and dislike it that much, perhaps it's time to move on?

You're right, perhaps I just don't get what publishers are asking of the developers nowadays (i.e. forget risky ideas, we want guaranteed sellers!!). With "next gen" development costing well into the millions, it's hard to blame them despite my skepticism. But that doesn't mean I have to leave while there are SOME fresh ideas out there. Low budget DS development seems to have ignited some developers, for instance.

until I see something officially from M$ I still call it all BS. I am sure they will make something but really no one knows 100% for sure what it will be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back