So the OnePlus One is now here...

I think your over exaggerating the issue. They did release the bamboo back, and then later pulled it from the market because there was a problem. Perhaps there was a design flaw that was overlooked when testing the device that simply cannot be fixed on the current hardware design? Or perhaps they simply haven't yet figured out a solution?

If they had said they were going to do it, and then just 100% ignored it and never even attempted to deliver, that would be an outright lie. The actual scenario is that they did deliver on that promise, and something went wrong. A lack of solution to an unforeseen issue does not make it a lie.

EDIT: Some quick googleing proves this exact scenario: http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-swapstyle-covers-526908/

The replaceable back caused integrity issues with the device. Again, they obviously cannot redesign and recall the device. Oneplus almost certainly doesn't have the cash for that, nor would it be a justifiable expense if they did given how few people would care. It was an unforseen design flaw. Nothing more, nothing less. That doesn't make it a lie. You're grasping at straws for calling the company dishonest over something this minuscule.

They just got in over their heads and can't meet production or expectations in most anything as it sounds like they are terribly understaffed.

I did have a bamboo back and also have an extra white and black. The cover is just slightly harder to take off than a Samsung back. I just use my fingernail and it comes off in less than 30 seconds.

The nonsense about potential risks to the battery is just that. It's no different than any other battery and unless you remove the cover in the shower or while swimming in the pool I don't see what extra risk there is.

Oneplus has produced a great phone but they do have the tendency to stretch the truth or lead you along. They might not be outright lying but definitely use word play to the fullest and love to use social media to stir the masses on the OnePlus forums.

From the article:

Taking to its forums, OnePlus has announced that it is canceling its SwapStyle line due to production issues and the fact that they “could have designed the removal process of the back covers better; it’s tricky and makes frequent switches difficult. The swap can also leave the back cover slightly creaky or loose, and it risks damage to the battery which is exposed for a short time.”

So it looks like I bought 2 of them. MY damn pre-order did it twice... Ugh. Their RMA has been annoying.

I have not had to deal with their customer service yet, but the oneplus one I received about two weeks ago has been fantastic.

I have not had to deal with their customer service yet, but the oneplus one I received about two weeks ago has been fantastic.

I just got mine in the mail about an hour ago. Already been to AT&T and back to port over my numbers. Getting it rooted now. Haven't done anything else yet. So far though, no complaints. I was worried about the size, but I actually like it. I don't think I'd want to go bigger (played with the Nexus 6... it was way to big).

I actually preferred the 5.2" of my LG G2. I've had to adjust how I hold the phone to reach the upper left corner with this phone. Still, not a huge deal. It is a bit nicer when watching videos, and I do watch Youtube on it pretty often.

I actually preferred the 5.2" of my LG G2. I've had to adjust how I hold the phone to reach the upper left corner with this phone. Still, not a huge deal. It is a bit nicer when watching videos, and I do watch Youtube on it pretty often.

That's what I came from also, a G2. This phone actually fits my hand pretty well though. I have very long, skinny fingers. I can get my way around most of the screen one handed... which is really all that matters. The display looks fantastic.

Yes I've been using mine for acouple hours. Any bigger and I wouldn't like it. Fantastic phone so far

I just got mine a few hours ago. So far I'm pretty happy. Just trying to get used to android coming from iOS.

Well, that's a bunch of BS. Exclusive deals shouldn't even exist.

I never liked CyanogenMod much, anyway. This is literally the first phone it's worked anywhere near decently for me and that's only because it's the official ROM. It was always a buggy POS on everything else I tried it on.

This kind of greed is worse when there are so many developers complaining about Cyanogen Inc earning money over their free/open work.

Ouch, if that is true and they do go through with it, i feel sorry for the people who bought a one plus phone lol...Ouch

Maybe OnePlus used Cyanogen just to get a brand name OS to help market and sell the OnePlus One originally ? Now that the phone is out, and selling more than they can produce, maybe OPO got cocky and said, hey we don't need CM to sell for us, we can do it ourselves in house now ?

If it went down like that, I feel bad for Cyanogen team.

I was under the wrong impression on the OPO when it was first announced long time ago. I thought Steve K. of Cyanogen was making a break to produce a phone of his own by a brand new company he partnered up with, and would run his CM ROM. And it would be a foundation of a new hardware company to produce the phone + Steve's CM ? Guess it's not like that.

Maybe OnePlus used Cyanogen just to get a brand name OS to help market and sell the OnePlus One originally ? Now that the phone is out, and selling more than they can produce, maybe OPO got cocky and said, hey we don't need CM to sell for us, we can do it ourselves in house now ?

If it went down like that, I feel bad for Cyanogen team.

I was under the wrong impression on the OPO when it was first announced long time ago. I thought Steve K. of Cyanogen was making a break to produce a phone of his own by a brand new company he partnered up with, and would run his CM ROM. And it would be a foundation of a new hardware company to produce the phone + Steve's CM ? Guess it's not like that.
OP claims it was CM not wanting their OS on India phones rather than the other way. OP is playing the "we have no idea what they were thinking or why"card.

So does this mean no official CM12S for the 1+1 coming in Jan / Feb, like originally promised, 90 days after Google released Lollipop ?

Cyanogen will continue to support the OnePlus One
http://www.androidauthority.com/cyanogen-will-continue-support-oneplus-one-572338/

We are proud of the work we did on the OnePlus One. Through our collaboration with OnePlus, we demonstrated the power of strong hardware and software tuned for exceptional performance. To clarify misinformation out there, the OnePlus One will get OTA firmware updates for all global devices, including global devices for our users in India. Rather than have misinformation continue to circulate out there, we felt it important to bring this matter to rest.

Anyone have problems with the responsiveness of the screen ???

Or using pinch to zoom??

My screen is not responsive like my M8 and pinch to zoom is not working.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/09/cyanogen-backpedals-on-promise-to-update-oneplus-phones-in-india/

Engadget said:
If you're in India, get ready to be more confused and maybe a bit angry about the OnePlus One situation. Cyanogen recently said that "the OnePlus One will get OTA firmware updates for all global devices, including global devices for our users in India." That was seemingly a denial to OnePlus' claim that it wouldn't get OTA updates there due to Cyanogen's deal with India's MicroMax. However, it turns out that Cyanogen's statement had weasel-wording that only a lawyer could love. It clarified today that OnePlus One smartphones sold in India indeed won't get the update -- only "global devices" purchased abroad. That appears to be the final word: once the Android Lollipop-based ROM is released for the One, no more OTA updates for India buyers until OnePlus builds its own ROM.

Great wording on that, Engadget... You got anything to do with that, Aurelius?

The CM12 Alpha builds are actually really good, and can be used as daily drivers already.

Just wait till the official Nightlies come out :D

Only a year too late for people to care...

I have had mine since July but have moved on to the Nexis 6. For those looking for an invite this is an opportunity to buy it now with delivery by Christmas.

The decision to buy it or not is up to the individual person. There are better phones available now but not for $368 shipped. If you are looking for a very good phone at half the cost there really is no better deal.

If you just want a better phone without considering cost then buy a Nexus 6, Note 4 or iPhone 6+.

I went with the Nexus 6 and have not been disappointed. It is the best Android phone I have owned.

...why?

The Snapdragon 801 w/ 3GB of ram is no slouch, on par with or better than most of the flagships still on the market today. It's going to remain an incredibly powerful device for some time. IMHO, the out of the box ROM is unmatched. All the speed of stock android with far more customization. And modification is on part with Nexus devices in terms of simplicity.

Oh, and it still only costs $300/$350 for a high end, fully unlocked device. That's still incredibly lucrative, especially now that US GSM carriers have ditched contracts in favor of selling devices outright on a monthly payment. Having an OPO and a N4 that I purchased flat out is saving me ~$50 a month on my cell service by not buying phones through my carrier, and I can jump ship at any time without penalty.

By all means, if a bloated interface, tons of pointless apps nobody ever uses, and carrier bloatware are your cup of tea, get the latest and greatest. For everyone else, this is an incredible device.

...why?

The Snapdragon 801 w/ 3GB of ram is no slouch, on par with or better than most of the flagships still on the market today. It's going to remain an incredibly powerful device for some time.

The 801 isn't terrible, but it was outdated before it was ever released. Apple is absolutely slaughtering Qualcomm in the hardware arena. I can't blame anyone for being unwilling to buy a new phone with the 801. The newer 64-bit ARM designs might not yet be necessary as far as maximum RAM supported, but they are more efficient and modern and just a better instruction set. Qualcomm should have shipped 64-bit chips in early 2014, not mid-2015 as it is looking to be. (Latest rumors are that the 810 is having overheating problems, delaying it until 2H 2015.)

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Qualcomm kinda sucks and the only reason Android phones use their chips is because they are cheap.

They also seem to be refusing to go past kernel 3.4. Feel free to laugh at me for being such a nerd that I care about Linux kernel versions, but newer versions add a lot of optimization for ARM, increase power efficiency, significantly increase cross-compatibility (making updates/support easier for both manufacturers and custom ROM devs), etc. It isn't the end of the world for them to still be on 3.4, but personally I would go as far as to say it is unacceptable. They have been on 3.4 for years and it is unacceptable for them to simply not bother keeping up with modern technology. Would you buy a brand new PC that came with Windows XP or Vista yet which could not easily be upgraded?

There is no reason for anyone to upgrade from any phone with a Snapdragon 800/801 to a phone with an 801 or even 805. When you get 2-3 generations of phones based on the same (or pretty much the same) CPU, that is when your phones become the hardware-equivalent of shovelware. (I only went from the LG G2 to the OPO because the G2 died. Unless this phone also dies, there is no way I will consider upgrading w/o 64-bit and kernel 3.10 or newer.)

Last edited:
The 801 isn't terrible, but it was outdated before it was ever released. Apple is absolutely slaughtering Qualcomm in the hardware arena. I can't blame anyone for being unwilling to buy a new phone with the 801. The newer 64-bit ARM designs might not yet be necessary as far as maximum RAM supported, but they are more efficient and modern and just a better instruction set. Qualcomm should have shipped 64-bit chips in early 2014, not mid-2015 as it is looking to be. (Latest rumors are that the 810 is having overheating problems, delaying it until 2H 2015.)

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Qualcomm kinda sucks and the only reason Android phones use their chips is because they are cheap.

For the majority, does this really matter? I'm not saying the OPO is the device for everyone, there are obviously better, faster things out there. But for a lot of people, that's not necessary. I don't see a lot of people clamoring for an all out speed machine in their pocket. Cell phones evolved incredibly quickly, and for the average user, I think the speed requirements have peaked for now.

So... my question is this... instead of telling me that the 801 is technically inferior, can you give a real world scenario in which anyone would notice? The only thing that comes to mind for me is 3D gaming... and I don't actually know anyone who plays 3D games on their phone. They play shit like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Candy Crush, and Words With Friends. Cute, colorful, 2D game rules the roost on mobile, and I'm not sure I really see that changing any time soon. Aside from that, what are people doing on their phones that requires more power than the 801 is capable of?

For the majority, does this really matter? I'm not saying the OPO is the device for everyone, there are obviously better, faster things out there. But for a lot of people, that's not necessary. I don't see a lot of people clamoring for an all out speed machine in their pocket. Cell phones evolved incredibly quickly, and for the average user, I think the speed requirements have peaked for now.

So... my question is this... instead of telling me that the 801 is technically inferior, can you give a real world scenario in which anyone would notice? The only thing that comes to mind for me is 3D gaming... and I don't actually know anyone who plays 3D games on their phone. They play shit like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Candy Crush, and Words With Friends. Cute, colorful, 2D game rules the roost on mobile, and I'm not sure I really see that changing any time soon. Aside from that, what are people doing on their phones that requires more power than the 801 is capable of?

I have yet to use a phone that I consider fast enough. Even on my OPO I can detect significant latency in accomplishing just about any task. The G2 and OPO have been FAR better than my previous phones and both are reasonably usable (previous phones OGDroid and SGS2 and the WinMo HTC Mogul were so laggy that I sometimes couldn't even answer a call because the phone wouldn't respond - both on stock ROMs and many custom ones), but I won't be satisfied until there is no detectable latency in ANYTHING I do on the phone. To me, and to some, ANY detectable latency is a major problem.

But even to those not so picky, battery life is important and CPU architecture and kernel version affect that significantly. And the significant improvements in cross-compatibility for ARM in kernels 3.8+ will mean much more custom ROM availability, and given that it will make things easier for manufacturers, more phones could potentially be supported for longer periods of time. Manufacturers will definitely not take full advantage of that (since they would still need to do significant testing on each phone for the updates), but it's very possible that updates will improve at least a little bit.

I don't think it's sufficient to say current Qualcomm CPUs are 'good enough.' Might as well say the Intel Core 2 Duo is good enough. And I would definitely say it's not acceptable for manufacturers like Sony to release multiple phones (Xperia Z2 and Z3) with the same exact CPU followed by a phone (Xperia Z4) with a CPU that is only very slightly better. Actually, the Z1 used a Snapdragon 800 which, again, is pretty much the same thing. So this is 4 generations of their flagship phone on basically the same CPU. Qualcomm and Sony are equally at fault for this BS.

The 801 is a good upgrade for people with much older phones, but in that same sense, a Core 2 Duo is today still a great upgrade for people on Pentium 4 or older.

To summarize: Current Android phones have decent software with a decent-ish CPU. Current Apple phones have (what I would consider) sub-par software with a relatively great CPU. As such either are fine to buy and use - I just wouldn't recommend that people upgrade phones every year as some here do... at least until AArch64 Android phones are out.

Last edited:

One year ?

It was announced in April, a little over 6 months ago, and not readily available to most people until like July / August.

For $349, where else can you buy a 64GB smartphone, with flagship spec's, and best in class battery, fully unlocked, running a near Nexus type OS ? The OnePlus One was released around the same time as the two top flagship phones from Samsung and HTC, and those costs $650, but the OnePlus One shares the same if not better spec's than those two flagships, with more RAM, and bigger battery, all for half the price.

I have owned 13 different Android phones the past 5+ years, and the OnePlus One is the battery life champ, and also very fast smooth performer. It has a nice looking screen, good feel in hand, etc...

Sure the Nexus 6 and Note 4 are better, but they also cost twice as much, and the OnePlus One still wins in the battery life department.

Last edited:
One year ?

It was announced in April, a little over 6 months ago, and not readily available to most people until like July / August.

For $349, where else can you buy a 64GB smartphone, with flagship spec's, and best in class battery, fully unlocked, running a near Nexus type OS ? The OnePlus One was released around the same time as the two top flagship phones from Samsung and HTC, and those costs $650, but the OnePlus One shares the same if not better spec's than those two flagships, with more RAM, and bigger battery, all for half the price.

I have owned 13 different Android phones the past 5+ years, and the OnePlus One is the battery life champ, and also very fast smooth performer. It has a nice looking screen, good feel in hand, etc...

Sure the Nexus 6 and Note 4 are better, but they also cost twice as much, and the OnePlus One still wins in the battery life department.

Agreed on the battery life as nothing comes close to screen on time of the OnePlus but I realized that the only time I need 6 hours or better SOT is when my kids use my phone to play a marathon game session or watch movies one after the other on a trip.

I realized that a normal day has at best 3 hours SOT and if I'm on more than that I should rethink how I live my life as staring at a screen rather than doing things in the real world is not a good way to go through life.

I give up a about 1.5 hours of SOT with the Nexus 6 as compared to the OnePlus One but I charge my phone every night and the Nexus 6 gets me through a day with battery to spare when I head to bed so good enough in the battery department for me. The rest of the phone experience, for me at least, is just better with the Nexus 6 from better signal strength, faster WiFi, better camera, more screen real estate, etc.

I'm sure I'll buy a OnePlus Two when it is released but for now the Nexus is my daily driver and the OnePlus has been relegated to a gaming device for my kids.

Put the OnePlus in Airplane mode, turn on WiFi and the battery really is killer as an iPod Touch replacement.

I'm sure I'll buy a OnePlus Two when it is released but for now the Nexus is my daily driver and the OnePlus has been relegated to a gaming device for my kids.
Are you sure if the OnePlus One sequel starts at $550 16GB(?, could be 8 or 32) version? Cause that's what has been implied by OnePlus.

Are you sure if the OnePlus One sequel starts at $550 16GB(?, could be 8 or 32) version? Cause that's what has been implied by OnePlus.

I heard the price would go up maybe by $100 to $150. So the OnePlus Two would sell for around $400 to $450, and I am sure with spec's that match the Galaxy S6 and One M9, which will be selling for $650 to $700.

Back