So the OnePlus One is now here...

Battery life is very good. Very different feeling NOT having to look for a charger through out the day.

Looking for an invite, if anyone has an extra one that would be great =)

Looking for one as well since the Nexus 6 inventory is non-existent, been waiting to replace the Galaxy Nexus.

Looking for an invite. After using my wife's 1+1 I am going to sell my LG G3 to purchase a 1+1. I prefer pure google, and the 1080P screen. Things are smoother. Plus the battery is much better..

IRL: The OnePlus One is everything my iPhone wasn't
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/30/irl-oneplus-one/

Interesting write up, on an iPhone guy, breaking his iPhone 5S, and was gonna order a new iPhone 6, but had a demo test unit OnePlus One, and was forced to use that right away, as he needed a phone.

Long story short, he grew to love the phone, and cancelled his iPhone 6 :D

Last edited:
I think most people who got turned off by android got to use "the best android phone" as told to them by marketing and sales, and they hate that Samsung TouchWiz bullshit and then associated that with androids in general. Or they got a cheapo ZTE phone and think its okay to compare that to Apple's flagships.

Pretty good battery life so far, running this new stock rooted CM11 44S. After one day on this ROM, getting this battery life;

7h Screen On time, with 18% battery left. Not bad.

Just ordered mine.

This isn't my first Android phone, but is there anything I should be looking at before making the jump from iOS to the 1+?

This isn't my first Android phone, but is there anything I should be looking at before making the jump from iOS to the 1+?

Nothing in specific. Depends on what you use your phone for. In general you could start looking for equivalent applications to the things you use on iOS.

Also, a petition has been created for Otterbox to release a case for this phone. It's unlikely to gather that many signatures but I did sign it myself. www.change.org/p/otterbox-create-cases-for-oneplus-one

Nothing in specific. Depends on what you use your phone for. In general you could start looking for equivalent applications to the things you use on iOS.

Also, a petition has been created for Otterbox to release a case for this phone. It's unlikely to gather that many signatures but I did sign it myself. www.change.org/p/otterbox-create-cases-for-oneplus-one

Signed.

What cases/screen protectors are people using now? Anything that should be avoided?

people seem to like Cruzerlite, Boxwave, and Diztronics the most (at least as of a few weeks ago when I got mine - more may still be coming out). I use the Cruzerlite and it's pretty good. Still just a thin TPU case, but it still protects the phone MUCH more than no case at all.

I put a Rhinoshield screen protector on and I'm liking it so far. The feel of the screen is still as good as the bare glass was (in my opinion at least). Only problem is that I was dumb enough to do it in a high-dust environment and of course some stuff got between the cover and case. And now that a week or so has passed, I'm not sure that I could still fix it.

I'm using the Xtemegaurd Spartan tempered glass protectors and they appear to be identical to the Orzly except for they c come in an envelope without the fancy packaging.

They are listed at $59.99 but there is usually am 85% or 90% off coupon floating around.

Use "90off1" to get 90% off. I picked up 2 for $12.

I have had one on my Oneplus One for a couple of weeks and it still looks great with no marks on it that I can see.

http://www.xtremeguard.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=Nexus-6-Screen-Protector

Anyone have a spare invite? Nexus6 seems to suck based on the reviews so leaning towards this.

CyanogenMod: First Android 5.0 Lollipop nightlies could arrive later this month
http://phandroid.com/2014/11/13/cyanogenmod-lollipop-news/

The development arm posted an update today noting that they’ve begun work on Android 5.0 Lollipop, and that folks can start to build it from the public github right now. Unfortunately they aren’t yet providing the ROM in nightly capacity, but the good news is that they don’t expect it to take long before those start showing up — the window has officially been set for late November or early December.

The team won’t look to rush the update out as they’ll want to get all the killer features CyanogenMod has become known for loaded up into Android 5.0 Lollipop, and potentially rework features that don’t fit the new look of Lollipop.

They also touched on device support, noting that while they don’t have a clear idea of how many devices they can support for Android 5.0 Lollipop, it’s looking to be a wider range of devices than they originally anticipated. This might be thanks to Google’s work to make Android work smoothly on entry-range and mid-range hardware. We can’t wait to see what’s in store for the near future. For now, you can get your hands on CyanogenMod 11 M12 (which is more of a security and bug fixer than anything else) right here.

AnandTech has a rather lengthy review of the OnePlus One for those that don't have it and want to see what they have to say about it...

http://anandtech.com/show/8242/the-oneplus-one-review

Just picked one of these up (well... picked up an invite I guess. I hate that people are scalping these things but someone had them on ebay for $12 and I figured I'm not going to quibble over that).

This review seems to mirror pretty much everything else I see... good hardware, great battery life, some software quirks. However, since the software isn't going to remain stock on my device... I really don't care :).

Looking forward to this device!

Am I missing something here? Why doesn't everyone just order from a 3rd party like Geekbuying instead of getting an invite?

Am I missing something here? Why doesn't everyone just order from a 3rd party like Geekbuying instead of getting an invite?

Because it's still the least expensive option.

Geekbuying wants $395 for the 64GB. Looking on Ebay and Amazon, they seem to be right around $400 also, and your buying from a third party, which may cause issues down the road if you ever need warranty support.

The invite I just purchased was $12.50, phone was $350. So I still saved $30 - $40 depending on shipping charges, and I've ordered direct from the manufacturer, so no warranty concerns.

Because it's still the least expensive option.

Geekbuying wants $395 for the 64GB. Looking on Ebay and Amazon, they seem to be right around $400 also, and your buying from a third party, which may cause issues down the road if you ever need warranty support.

The invite I just purchased was $12.50, phone was $350. So I still saved $30 - $40 depending on shipping charges, and I've ordered direct from the manufacturer, so no warranty concerns.
That makes sense, I was under the impression it was strictly an availability issue.

That makes sense, I was under the impression it was strictly an availability issue.

Availability is the reason that it's still an invite only system, and the reason invites are still able to be sold (although their value has decreased significantly from the ~$100 they were fetching a few months ago). I don't believe there are any third party sellers of the device, so if you're finding it anywhere else it's likely someone who bought it to sell at a profit. As lame as I think the buying and selling of invites is, it's still rather do that and know I'm ordering from a reliable source.

With the cost of the device, shipping, and my invite everything came to right at $375. Still a wonderful deal IMO. I'm jumping ship to ATT (hate it, but T-Mo service sucks where I am), and this is a far more attrative option than buying a $600+ device through them, monthly payments, or a contract.

In addition to what other people have said, I believe there are two versions. A China version with ColorOS and the World version which has CyanogenMod 11S. China versions do not have CyanogenMod 11S written on the back. I also read somewhere about different LTE frequencies but you'd have to verify that.

30 hours of of total battery use, with over 8h Screen On time !!! :eek: Still had 15% battery left.

30 hours of of total battery use, with over 8h Screen On time !!! :eek: Still had 15% battery left.

What were you doing with your phone? Your screen use is high but no apps like Chrome, YouTube or anything else shows up? Just curious as best I have been able to get is a bit over 6 hours SOT.

Sequel to 2014′s most exciting Android phone detailed in big leak
http://www.businessinsider.com/oneplus-2-details-release-price-2014-11

OnePlus Two? OnePlus One 2?

We still don’t know what the phone will be called, but this new report claims it will be even more customizable than the first-generation model. OnePlus had trouble launching all of the cool case backs it promised early on, but rumor now has it that the second-generation version will deliver where the first version fell short.

Where pricing is concerned, we might be looking at a slightly higher price tag than the OnePlus One, which starts at $299. Business Insider says the phone will still be cheaper than most popular premium smartphones off contract, but says it will “cost less than $500,” which doesn’t bode well for maintaining the current $299 price point.

Finally, the blog’s source says there will be some “surprises in store when it comes to hardware.” This makes it sound like a OnePlus executive is planting the story, which makes the details contained within the report even more promising, but no specifics on those “surprises” were offered.

The second-generation version of the OnePlus One will likely debut sometime this Spring

Surprise is it would be a surprise if you got an invite for the first half year this is out in market.

OnePlus had trouble launching all of the cool case backs it promised early on, but rumor now has it that the second-generation version will deliver where the first version fell short.

Not sure if this is just worded poorly by the person who wrote this blurb or if this is really as unacceptable as it sounds. Not delivering on promises and instead saving them for a new product and screwing over existing customers is not a good business practice. Granted, I don't care about cases very much, but it says something bad about a company when they decide to screw customers out of promised features/accessories/etc. If you aren't going to do it then don't promise it to begin with.

Not sure if this is just worded poorly by the person who wrote this blurb or if this is really as unacceptable as it sounds. Not delivering on promises and instead saving them for a new product and screwing over existing customers is not a good business practice. Granted, I don't care about cases very much, but it says something bad about a company when they decide to screw customers out of promised features/accessories/etc. If you aren't going to do it then don't promise it to begin with.

I don't see it as something to fuss about. For all we know, there is a design flaw that they cannot correct without releasing a whole new piece of hardware. It's their first phone, they are still learning. Also, it's just replaceable backs. There are probably about 5 OPO owners who are actually butthurt that they can't go spend $50 on a bamboo back for their phone. From the sound of it, they have done a good job taking care of the software bugs that existed with the phone... I'd much rather see them continue to do that, I don't give a damn about them figuring out replaceable back covers.

I don't see it as something to fuss about. For all we know, there is a design flaw that they cannot correct without releasing a whole new piece of hardware. It's their first phone, they are still learning. Also, it's just replaceable backs. There are probably about 5 OPO owners who are actually butthurt that they can't go spend $50 on a bamboo back for their phone. From the sound of it, they have done a good job taking care of the software bugs that existed with the phone... I'd much rather see them continue to do that, I don't give a damn about them figuring out replaceable back covers.

Exactly. I am sure over the years, companies like HTC, Samsung or maybe even Apple, maybe said they would offer something that didn't make it to production for one reason or another ?

I have the OnePlus One and am very happy with this phone. Battery life being the #1 reason, this thing is beast for battery, better than my best battery phone ever, the Galaxy Note 2 that was running a custom ROM and kernel that gave outstanding battery life. This OnePlus One trumps that.

The screen on the OnePlus One with a custom kernel is gorgeous. Performance is very smooth and fast. And running a ROM based off stock CM11 44S, there are no bugs or issues to speak of.

This phone is like a Nexus but better due to the extra customizations with Cyanogen, plus it was only $350. What other brand new phone can you buy off contract for $350 with these specs and performance and battery life ? And it will get Android 5.0 Lollipop officially early next year

I don't care about the backs whatsoever. What I care about is that they made a promise (supposedly) and then they decided not to honor it even though people already bought the product. I don't care what the promise was. I don't care if they decided that almost nobody would mind since it's just a case back. How can I trust them as a company if they make promises and do not keep them? Again, I don't care what the promises actually are, only that they existed and were not honored. I fully believe that if you say you're going to do something, you do it. If you're not going to do it, don't say you will. I assume they will make promises about other products as well, and those promises might not just be about case mods. And what if they don't keep other promises that they make?

I already own the One and wouldn't buy the case back mod anyway but if I feel they are lying to me, I am not likely to buy another one of their products. I had plenty of complaints about previous phones from LG, Motorola, Samsung, etc. but none of those complaints involved broken promises. That said, I do still have other issues with most other phone manufacturers, so maybe a broken promise is still better than Sony's lack of updates for most of their phones (for example).

Also, even though case backs are a very minor feature, I have trouble believing that they can't get them into production. They are a Chinese company and you can produce most anything very cheaply over there. I see no possible way that they wouldn't be able to deliver on this. It is clear (at least to me) that they have simply made a financial decision not to deliver on this.

Last edited:
I don't care about the backs whatsoever. What I care about is that they made a promise (supposedly) and then they decided not to honor it even though people already bought the product. I don't care what the promise was. I don't care if they decided that almost nobody would mind since it's just a case back. How can I trust them as a company if they make promises and do not keep them? Again, I don't care what the promises actually are, only that they existed and were not honored. I fully believe that if you say you're going to do something, you do it. If you're not going to do it, don't say you will. I assume they will make promises about other products as well, and those promises might not just be about case mods. And what if they don't keep other promises that they make?

I already own the One and wouldn't buy the case back mod anyway but if I feel they are lying to me, I am not likely to buy another one of their products. I had plenty of complaints about previous phones from LG, Motorola, Samsung, etc. but none of those complaints involved broken promises. That said, I do still have other issues with most other phone manufacturers, so maybe a broken promise is still better than Sony's lack of updates for most of their phones (for example).

I think your over exaggerating the issue. They did release the bamboo back, and then later pulled it from the market because there was a problem. Perhaps there was a design flaw that was overlooked when testing the device that simply cannot be fixed on the current hardware design? Or perhaps they simply haven't yet figured out a solution?

If they had said they were going to do it, and then just 100% ignored it and never even attempted to deliver, that would be an outright lie. The actual scenario is that they did deliver on that promise, and something went wrong. A lack of solution to an unforeseen issue does not make it a lie.

EDIT: Some quick googleing proves this exact scenario: http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-swapstyle-covers-526908/

The replaceable back caused integrity issues with the device. Again, they obviously cannot redesign and recall the device. Oneplus almost certainly doesn't have the cash for that, nor would it be a justifiable expense if they did given how few people would care. It was an unforseen design flaw. Nothing more, nothing less. That doesn't make it a lie. You're grasping at straws for calling the company dishonest over something this minuscule.

Back