So the OnePlus One is now here...

EW4R-NZI3-RZS6-OA0S

Here's my invite code. I Picked up a Sony Z1 a few months ago, My gf has a nexus 5 and doesn't want it, and my mom wants me to get her a Note 3. So it would have been great getting this invite 2 months ago before I picked up my Z1, the OPO really isn't much of an upgrade over my phone so my code is yours

OnePlus AMA: we misjudged demand by 30X, pre-orders to continue into 2015
http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-one-demand-531584/

Things definitely haven’t gone as planned. Looking back, we probably misjudged demand by 30x, and are scrambling to catch up. Our team wasn’t built to handle this growth. We’re hiring like crazy, and things should be under control in a few months.

Will the OnePlus One ever be available to order, without any form of reservation/pre-order system?

Not in 2014. We understand that our current method may be slowing our growth down, but we’d rather grow slower and in a healthy way than taking too much risk and going out of business. Risk management is extra important in our scenario where we don’t have hardware margins

In fact, OnePlus will likely use the same system for the OnePlus Two, coming in Q2-Q3 2015:

It will probably be invite-only for a short period of time, after which pre-orders are rolled out.

LOL funny how these invites are coming in all over the place now. Are they just a little worried the upcoming Nexus 6 will put a major dent in the OnePlus One sales ? They should be.

- Nexus 6 will be the same physical size as the OnePlus even though the N6 has a 5.9" screen, but is supposed to have very minimal bezels and squeeze in that huge screen into a 5.5" body.

- Spec's on the Nexus 6 are next gen, across the board compared to the OnePlus One.

- The Nexus 6 will ship with Android L out of the box, not have to wait for 90 days until the update gets released.

- Price of the Nexus 6 is supposed to be very close , in the $399 range.

I have been using my OnePlus since July 11 but plan on buying the Nexus 6 on release. It sounds too good to be true so I'm very curious what the price will be.

I have bought the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 and enjoyed both except for the camera and battery life.

If the 6 brings those 2 items to be in line with flagships like the M8, S5, Note 4, etc. I don't think there will be a better large phone.

Size may deter some but as a former Note 3 owner and current OnePlus One owner I have no issue with the size of its actual physical size is similar to them.

Just ordered a 64GB OPO after snagging an invite, and fairly easily at that, on their Google+ site. I needed an upgrade and couldn't wait for the Nexus 6.

I have bought the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 and enjoyed both except for the camera and battery life.

I've read from multiple sites and owners that the Android L preview improved battery life significantly on the Nexus 5. This, coupled with an even larger battery on the next Nexus could put it over other flagships in terms of battery life. Or it could just allow you to go back to the Nexus 5 once L is released. I look forward to HTC updating the One M8 to L just for this reason. Not that I need it on the M8, but better battery life is always welcome.

I've read from multiple sites and owners that the Android L preview improved battery life significantly on the Nexus 5. This, coupled with an even larger battery on the next Nexus could put it over other flagships in terms of battery life. Or it could just allow you to go back to the Nexus 5 once L is released. I look forward to HTC updating the One M8 to L just for this reason. Not that I need it on the M8, but better battery life is always welcome.

The One M8 has been my second best battery life I've owned, just next to the Note 2. My One M8 gets 6h On Screen time daily, with extreme heavy use. The M8 is a beast for battery life. I am running the GPE ROM.

But agreed, will always take more battery life.

That's what I was thinking and I actually picked up a Nexus 5 to try Android L on when it is available.

Should be here Friday.

My microphone just gave out :( now I have to go through their sucktacular customer service for a replacement.

Can't wait for the nexus 6 to hit shelves

It's possible they also fixed some of the battery killing bugs from 4.4. They sometimes creep up. I started getting terrible battery life out of the blue, thought it might be apps I installed. Tested with BetterBatteryStats and it was the oh so popular NLP service causing the CPU to wake 200+ times per hour. Not the first time I've seen in (multiple devices).

For reference, install BBS and let it collect data for a day. Then check Alarms (top drop down), if you have an Android NLP with a lot of requests that is it. Unbounce (another app) can fix it.

Can't believe it, but I just placed my order for a OnePlus One.

Will give my HTC One M8 to my wife, who has a shitty Galaxy S4 locked down no root or anything, and it's always running out of storage, can't even update apps, and Touchwiz on the S4 is horrific.

I was waiting for the Nexus 6, but @ $700 off contract, that's too rich for my blood. And 6" is just huge, plus it's heavy and pretty thick. I'd really need to hold it in person if I decided on an N6.

For now the OnePlus is like a Nexus 5 1/2. Better and bigger than the Nexus 5, but not as fast or large as the upcoming Nexus 6. Just hope OnePlus gets 5.0 Lollipop soon.

I love my 64gb Oneplus One. I got lucky and got a brand new one ( week old never used ) off craigslist for $300

Also picked up this case off Amazon which is a very sweet case - http://www.amazon.com/OnePlus-One-C...=1413534569&sr=1-17&keywords=Oneplus+one+case

The Oneplus One looks and feels amazing. Very powerful. I just can't find anything I don't like about it. Battery life is pretty damn good. I love the gestures. One of my fav things is being about to tap off and on without having to use the buttons. Also, there is a very simple swipe for volume control and brightness. This will no doubt be my phone for the next 2 years.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love my 64gb Oneplus One. I got lucky and got a brand new one ( week old never used ) off craigslist for $300

Also picked up this case off Amazon which is a very sweet case - http://www.amazon.com/OnePlus-One-C...=1413534569&sr=1-17&keywords=Oneplus+one+case

The Oneplus One looks and feels amazing. Very powerful. I just can't find anything I don't like about it. Battery life is pretty damn good. I love the gestures. One of my fav things is being about to tap off and on without having to use the buttons. Also, there is a very simple swipe for volume control and brightness. This will no doubt be my phone for the next 2 years.

after the nexus 6 price tag i bought a oneplus one as well and the same case. Can't wait to see how much better it is than my nexus 5. My only concern is NOT getting android L right away and hopefully the camera isn't worst than the N5

The cases all looked about equal to me. I saw a 4-way case review either on the official forum or XDA (can't remember which). I had a Cruzerlite case on my LG G2 and liked it so I ended up ordering that. Still waiting for my OPO to ship, though (just ordered it a couple days ago).

Did you get a screen protector? I'm going with Rhino Shield, but don't know if I like it since I don't have it yet and haven't used it in the past. I usually don't use a screen protector (and my devices do end up with some minor to moderate scratching even though they never ever go in the same pocket as sharp things like keys) but since the glass on the OPO is raised above the housing of the phone, it worried me too much to go without one. Almost went for a tempered glass protector but I've read of too many instances where a drop shattered not only the glass screen protector, but also the phone's glass since the glass screen protectors offer no shock protection and transmit the fall right into the screen. If I'd gone for a tempered glass protector, it would've easily been the MIME Ghost. None of that Nillkin junk.

after the nexus 6 price tag i bought a oneplus one as well and the same case. Can't wait to see how much better it is than my nexus 5. My only concern is NOT getting android L right away and hopefully the camera isn't worst than the N5

OnePlus said that Android L would come within 90 days after Google releases it. But keep in mind this is a CM Cyanogen OS, and I am sure they will have CM12 nightlies up to play with well ahead of that 90 days, I would guess a couple weeks after the Nexus phones get 5.0. It won't be stable at first, but even their Alpha's are more solid than most other "stable ROM's"

After spending a few days with my OnePlus One, I can say the following with respect to the Nokia Lumia 925 that it replaced:

1). I will miss the true blacks of the 925's AMOLED display

2). I will not miss the weird, slightly-pinkish-hued off-white of the 925's AMOLED display.

Oh, just to let everyone know... the OPO I bought for my father is working out very nicely. The two accessories it is kitted outwith are a screen protector and a case.

The case is a Rearth Ringke Hybrid Fusion case, after I found mine worked so well for my old Nexus 4. It has "bumper" style side protection with flexible TPU soft layer + harder layer, with a harder plastic back. Comes in "smoke black" and clear (the latter, chosen). Inexpensive, and provides a better bumper case experience than many other competitors I've found. Doesn't add much bulk if at all and seems to work very well. Especially with its size, he wanted something that wouldn't be bulky as well, so while it isn't an OtterBox, it certainly seems like viable protection in its class.

Trying to find a top of the line screen protector was difficult - sadly, most of the high-end tempered glass models don't yet make one for OPO. After looking through Nillikin and others that claimed to do so, I found the MIME Ghost. It seemed to be the closest to the best of breed tempered glass types, and received solid reviews. It was a little more expensive $25-30 or so, but that's average for the better tempered glass I've found. It came in "apple style" premium boxing and with thoughtful accessories for install to eliminate fingerprints and dust. The install process was per usual, and it was well designed/aligned with regards to cutouts. Once installed, it seems flawless. The glass is slick yet avoids fingerprints occluding the display thanks to oleophobic coating. Clarity/color is perfect as well. All in all, I'm certainly not disappointed and though this is the first MIME screen protector I've seen in person, I'd certainly consider them for my own phone in the future.

Both of these items were purchased with haste, so that my father could have his phone ready for everyday carry with maximum protection, ASAP. Unfortunately, many of the other "luxury" device accessory manufacturers haven't made OPO ready items as of yet, but perhaps they have since I made my purchases. Hope this helps anyone looking for OPO gear.

Orzly tempered glass seems to be a favorite. Rounded edges and clear. Seems most prefer it over the Nillikan.

I have one coming and also bought some of the Xtemegaurd Spartan tempered glass Screen Protector $49.99 as they are running a 90% off coupon so 2 for $10 is worth having them as extras if ever needed.

I've heard a lot of bad for both Orzly and Nillkin. Wouldn't even consider either.

Really? Got any links so I can check up? The ones I read at XDA and OnePlus forums seemed to be positive for Orzly and somewhat for Nillkan. Nillkan costs less so that is a factor as well for some.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/orzly-tempered-glass-screen-review.52340/

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...-phantomglass-vs-spigen-vs-cruzerlite.118209/

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/nilkin-rhinoshield-or-orzly-screenprotector.71749/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/accessories/tempered-glass-screen-protectors-t2830240

No specific links that I bookmarked, but it should be very common sense that a glass screen protector isn't going to absorb impacts. It will transmit them right through to the screen. Glass is not an impact absorber - period. I could have told you that when I was 10, if not younger. These people all have happened to not have problems, but that does NOT qualify them to say these products are actually good. No matter how bad a product is, there will always be at least one idiot who doesn't realize it.

Nillkin and Orzly are both just random Chinese products. There is nothing reputable about them. Just people buying them based solely on price and happening to not have a problem with them. Except those who admit the protector cracked when they dropped their phone. Most got lucky and didn't have their screen broken, but they wouldn't have had their screen broken without the protector either.

Also, any company claiming their tempered glass protector has a hardness of 9 ("9H") is a liar. Normal transparent glass, tempered or not, isn't going to reach 9, period. And there's only one reason to lie about it: Because the REAL performance of their product sucks. If it were a good product, they wouldn't need to lie about it.

Here are some Rhinoshield links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19rgpJhcfA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=335t_6VXuvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kxA2j2_z5iY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i1bVTJioGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNM-1HPZ5uI

I still have yet to try the Rhinoshield, but it looks to me like a MUCH better choice than any tempered glass, even the good stuff like MIME.

Last edited:
The OnePlus One camera is from Sony.

Sony makes lots of different sensors and there is a lot more to the equation than the sensor (and lens) manufacturer. A great camera simply isn't in the budget for the Oneplus.

From the results, I am most disappointed with the low-light flash results. It is absolutely useless. Wow! Gives me a little regret that I ordered the Oneplus, but then I remember about the $300 I'm saving. I can always use my Canon S90 (which isn't that great these days, either) for planned photography.

No specific links that I bookmarked, but it should be very common sense that a glass screen protector isn't going to absorb impacts. It will transmit them right through to the screen. Glass is not an impact absorber - period. I could have told you that when I was 10, if not younger. These people all have happened to not have problems, but that does NOT qualify them to say these products are actually good. No matter how bad a product is, there will always be at least one idiot who doesn't realize it.

Nillkin and Orzly are both just random Chinese products. There is nothing reputable about them. Just people buying them based solely on price and happening to not have a problem with them. Except those who admit the protector cracked when they dropped their phone. Most got lucky and didn't have their screen broken, but they wouldn't have had their screen broken without the protector either.

Also, any company claiming their tempered glass protector has a hardness of 9 ("9H") is a liar. Normal transparent glass, tempered or not, isn't going to reach 9, period. And there's only one reason to lie about it: Because the REAL performance of their product sucks. If it were a good product, they wouldn't need to lie about it.

Here are some Rhinoshield links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19rgpJhcfA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=335t_6VXuvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kxA2j2_z5iY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i1bVTJioGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNM-1HPZ5uI

I still have yet to try the Rhinoshield, but it looks to me like a MUCH better choice than any tempered glass, even the good stuff like MIME.

I dont use anything for impact protection as I don't use cases on my phones and expect my screen to break if I drop with or without a tempered glass protector.

The glass to me is for scratch protection and retaining the feel of glass.

I have used Spigen Ultra Crystal screen protectors in the past as they are my favorite but Spigen does not make a screen protectors for the OnePlus One so that is why I looked at the tempered glass.

OnePlus is a Chinese phone and has been much better than I expected so maybe the Orzly will be as well.

It's already shipped so I'll give it a whirl and see how it performs.

OnePlus is a Chinese phone and has been much better than I expected so maybe the Orzly will be as well.

A Chinese phone with real Gorilla glass, which was NOT invented by some random Chinese company.

But hey, go ahead and assume you'll never drop your phone. I don't believe you when you say you won't, but it is your phone. Like I said before, it's much riskier with this phone which stupidly has the glass raised above the bezel. Not a good idea, and not sure WTF Oneplus was thinking on that one. It is very, very stupid and probably one of the worst problems with the phone as far as durability goes. I can accept it given the price, but I'm not going to throw my $350 down the drain by not using adequate screen protection.

I too like the feel of glass, but I don't feel that argument stands up here. Again, your phone, but I advise against what you're doing.

Last edited:
Not too familiar with this brand ? So it's not tempered glass, but some other sort of protective type of material ?

It's some sort of plastic (possibly with other things in it) protector. Plastic can absorb impacts. Glass cannot.

I'll probably do a mini-review in this thread once I get it installed. Just got the phone + protector tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll bother with the protector tonight. Still waiting for my SIM card to arrive anyway.

I am NOT going to risk the hammer test on mine, though, glass or plastic!

Last edited:
Back