So the OnePlus One is now here...

At least the Note 3 comes with a stylus.

If anything the One+ launch really highlights the benefits of CyanogenMod, so the key is to find a more manageable phone and put Cyanogen on it, done and done.

At least the Note 3 comes with a stylus.

If anything the One+ launch really highlights the benefits of CyanogenMod, so the key is to find a more manageable phone and put Cyanogen on it, done and done.

Depending on your carrier...your Samsung device may well never be able to have CM or Omni on it. And it will cost 2X as much or it'll lock you into a contract for 2 years....hell does Samsung even sell 64GB devices yet?

Point me at a comparable device that sells for $350USD for 64GB off contract and intl unlocked. I'm all ears.

I think the big draw here for me is the price point. If this phone was $650 I would consider it in the mix with the S5, HTC, Sony, etc...but for the money you just can't go wrong assuming this is a quality device.

Maybe because the product isn't final but from watching those phandroid videos I noticed the wake-up and hands-free voice control isn't up to Moto X's gold standard and although it boots/reboots quick it seems to be stuck on loading widgets.

Maybe because the product isn't final but from watching those phandroid videos I noticed the wake-up and hands-free voice control isn't up to Moto X's gold standard and although it boots/reboots quick it seems to be stuck on loading widgets.

I'm definitely going to wait this out if I do bite. The CyanogenMod community has been doing well with updates and i'm sure they'll work out the kinks. On my watch list!

Very nice.
Beautiful and looks amazing.

What is the durability factor???

I bet it will be similar to the Oppo Find 7

This is my guess in regards to the Find 7, the Find 7 well have a far far far superior screen, better durability and larger battery. As far as the increased durability goes, it will mostly be contained in the screen.

If only it had a uSD slot. Really don't want to rely on one of those USB OTG drives that are popping up now.

Atleast the price difference between the 16GB and 64GB doesn't cost you a arm and a leg.

Was going to pick up a nexus 5 here soon but might wait and see how this does when it comes out. Looks really nice for the money..

It all comes down to size and price. If you are looking for a Note 3 sized phone for 1/2 the price you will not find anything else currently off contract that will touch this.

One thing to consider is possible availability issues. I doubt this phone will be a game changer but on paper it is the best phone for the money. The only thing that can hurt it is availability.

Production Update:
When we started OnePlus, one of the first things we announced was that our product would be available internationally in Q2 2014. We're well on track of achieving that.

However, after our product announcement, we realized that far more people wanted the One than what we originally anticipated. Over the past few days, we have been frantically adjusting our production schedule to make sure that as many people possible can buy the One, as soon as possible.

In our updated plan, we prioritized for two aspects; time to market and availability of the high capacity model (in that order). We now know that people want the 64GB Sandstone Black far more than the 16GB Silk White, but we also know that more than everything, people just want to get their hands on the device as soon as possible.

What we've done is dramatically increase the amount of 64GB Sandstone Black models in our production plans, while producing 16GB Silk White as long as they don't delay the time to market for Sandstone Black.

Our production schedule is as follows:
Ready now - 100 for phone smashers
Mid to late May - Larger batch 16GB Silk White for the first batch of invites
Early June - Larger batch 64GB Sandstone Black
Later in June - Increased general availability, people who want it should be able to get an invite without much trouble in June

http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/2014-q2-production-update.6854/

So basically the One+ will be a July release for the general public to get one easily.

By then, the HTC Nexus-Six will only be like 3 months away.

It doesn't really matter, it's not like they are sitting on millions of units of inventory. They make a few and sell a few, so what if it's outside of the release cycle of competitors.

"Ready now: 100 phones!!!!"

Congratulations on producing 100 phones in a multi-billion phone market.

It doesn't really matter, it's not like they are sitting on millions of units of inventory. They make a few and sell a few, so what if it's outside of the release cycle of competitors.

Hah, doubt it will be that bad, but I'm sure they won't be able to keep up with demand at all still with a flagship-spec'd phone like that selling for $300-$350 new. So this will be setting up all the douchers that like to buy up as many as possible and flipping them at 2x the price.

This talk sounds like pre damage control.

This phone will be hard to get for a while.

Production Update:
When we started OnePlus, one of the first things we announced was that our product would be available internationally in Q2 2014. We're well on track of achieving that.

However, after our product announcement, we realized that far more people wanted the One than what we originally anticipated. Over the past few days, we have been frantically adjusting our production schedule to make sure that as many people possible can buy the One, as soon as possible.

In our updated plan, we prioritized for two aspects; time to market and availability of the high capacity model (in that order). We now know that people want the 64GB Sandstone Black far more than the 16GB Silk White, but we also know that more than everything, people just want to get their hands on the device as soon as possible.

What we've done is dramatically increase the amount of 64GB Sandstone Black models in our production plans, while producing 16GB Silk White as long as they don't delay the time to market for Sandstone Black.

Our production schedule is as follows:
Ready now - 100 for phone smashers
Mid to late May - Larger batch 16GB Silk White for the first batch of invites
Early June - Larger batch 64GB Sandstone Black
Later in June - Increased general availability, people who want it should be able to get an invite without much trouble in June

http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/2014-q2-production-update.6854/

LOL at actually getting this phone. This thing is Vaporwear or like getting that epic purple gear drop in Vanilla WoW, yeah it's out there, but so hard to actually get.

I bet it's mid Summer before this phone is ready for mass sales to the general public. And do we always need an invite to buy the phone :rolleyes: That just rubs me the wrong way, I need to be specially invited to be lucky enough to buy this thing ? That's so pretentious of them.

How bout just put it up on the Oppo website or wherever, and have an option to click and buy this, add to cart, and choose 24 hour shipping.

They need to sell a shit load of phones at $299-$349 to cover the cost and investment. Don't think this is a limited phone. It may take a few months but I suspect it will be widely available.

They need to sell a shit load of phones at $299-$349 to cover the cost and investment. Don't think this is a limited phone. It may take a few months but I suspect it will be widely available.

I think by the time the One+ is widely available, the HTC Nexus-Six won't be too far off, with better tech and design for the same price. I am guessing it's July before the One+ is available for everyone easily.

How bout just put it up on the Oppo website or wherever, and have an option to click and buy this, add to cart, and choose 24 hour shipping.

If they had inventory they would put it on Amazon and be done with it.

All the hype/rage aside, it will be interesting to see whether a newcomer to the field will be able to sell enough phones to recoup their investment since the margins are pretty damn thin. The S5 costs $250 to build just in parts, that's not counting the R&D and manufacturing facilities needed.

Makes me wonder whether the Chinese counterpart of the NSA is subsidizing the One+ and will listen in on everything you do.

If they had inventory they would put it on Amazon and be done with it.

All the hype/rage aside, it will be interesting to see whether a newcomer to the field will be able to sell enough phones to recoup their investment since the margins are pretty damn thin. The S5 costs $250 to build just in parts, that's not counting the R&D and manufacturing facilities needed.

Makes me wonder whether the Chinese counterpart of the NSA is subsidizing the One+ and will listen in on everything you do.

From an interview with Carl Pei of OnePlus over at Android Authority:

http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-interview-carl-pei-345112/

What pricing strategy do you plan to adopt?

We will create the best product we possibly can first, and figure out sales and marketing second. We never set out to design a product to satisfy a certain price point.

However, because we’ll distribute our products solely via e-commerce, we can cut significant distribution and channel costs. And because our marketing will happen online, we can cut marketing costs. These factors allow us to bring greater value to our customers. We don’t make compromises on our product.

We want more people to be able to use and share our products, which is why we aren’t expecting to make a profit for two years.

That is an admirable goal and also suicidal. There is no guarantee a much bigger established company like HTC will be in business in 2 years, let alone a new contender. Maybe they have a lot of backing, who knows.

From an interview with Carl Pei of OnePlus over at Android Authority:

http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-interview-carl-pei-345112/

What pricing strategy do you plan to adopt?

We will create the best product we possibly can first, and figure out sales and marketing second. We never set out to design a product to satisfy a certain price point.

However, because we’ll distribute our products solely via e-commerce, we can cut significant distribution and channel costs. And because our marketing will happen online, we can cut marketing costs. These factors allow us to bring greater value to our customers. We don’t make compromises on our product.

We want more people to be able to use and share our products, which is why we aren’t expecting to make a profit for two years.

No new business can survive without making a profit for two years, that's a simple fact. If you manufacture a product, that costs money to produce, and take zero money on selling it = eventually the company is bled dry and close. Unless, they have major backing from an outside source behind the scenes.

This really just confirms my view that the business is somehow subsidized.

In effect Samsung is subsidized as well though.

Not making profit and loosing money are two different things.

If they break even, it's still good.

They are also still making profit on the phones itself. It's just that they have other bills to pay, such as salaries, utilities, etc.

They are owned by oppo. Imo 1+ is going to be the Oppos N. American brand

They are owned by oppo. Imo 1+ is going to be the Oppos N. American brand
LOL... for people who don't know...

OPPO Electronics owns both OPPO Mobile and OnePlus. OPPO Mobile and OnePlus act independently... supposedly.

Last edited:
Back