So the MHz/GHz war has been over for a decade now

Rikki

2[H]4U
... or so it seems when I clicked the "Ten Years Ago Today" link on the front page of HardOCP today :

Thursday February 28, 2002
[H]ardNews 4th Edition

A little P4 stuff for you. Intel says they have no plans to stick their P4's in the "super thin / tiny" laptop computers that require low watt CPU's, but the unit will make regular laptops though. In case you missed it yesterday, Intel demonstrated a P4 running at 4GHz and announced their next big CPU, codenamed Prescott, will hit the shelved in 2003....

With todays chips all sitting around that 3/4GHz mark still I hadnt really thought about it until I saw the decade old link.

Everything else has really shot up though. I remember my system from back then had about 512mb, an 80gd HDD and my graphics card had probably 16mb or so.

Funny how things change isnt it :)

P4's didn't overclock for crap, and the ones that did produced more heat than the Space Shuttle taking off.

The Quad cores now-a-days make it to 4.5 GHz pretty regularly, and don't feel like an afterburner just kicked in.

I had a P4 2.8 at 3.4 under water. It wasn't all that hot really.

I remember the good old pair of 1.6Ghz socket 604 Xeon Prestonia in a Asus PC-DL overclocked to 3.2Ghz. Few chips now a days can reach a 100% overclock.

Back