So, the Asus ROG Swift PG279QM is finally available, and I picked one up

RJ_ds

n00b
This is not a review. That may come later.

The ENTIRE reason why I waited so long to get this monitor is because of the WORKABLE sRGB color gamut clamp, as noted by Hardware Unboxed in this video, at 10:20.

EDIT: After going thru some of the 'game visual' modes, 'RTS/RPG' mode does unlock all settings in sRGB mode and sRGB calibration is achievable with this setting enabled. I still do not know if this monitor supports hardware calibration. Presently I can only get no better than a 697:1 contrast ratio, which is a bit disappointing in sRGB mode, as the monitor claims 100:1 contrast ratio. I'm using a i1display pro and idisplay software. The MSI monitor I had to take back because of no sRGB clamp had excellent contrast ratio, it was over 1000:1 but only wide gamut mode.

Last edited:
Is there any eco mode setting or energy control or else where in the OSD that once turned off, allows you to change those things? Sometimes screens will have an energy warning but then once you get past it you can change it “at your own risk” as it were. Seems strange for it to be fully locked especially when you aren’t even in that region!

Is there any eco mode setting or energy control or else where in the OSD that once turned off, allows you to change those things? Sometimes screens will have an energy warning but then once you get past it you can change it “at your own risk” as it were. Seems strange for it to be fully locked especially when you aren’t even in that region!
Actually, there is! I found this out yesterday, there are 'game visual' modes that once you enable some, they start unlocking some of the 'locked down' features, and one unlocks them all, 'RTS/RPG mode. I have to edit the original post, as I was able to successfully calibrate the sRGB mode.

Having color gamut as separate option which can be enabled independent of other setting and having it enabled by default sound like a great ideas and kudos for Asus engineers for that design.

The ENTIRE reason why I waited so long to get this monitor is because of the WORKABLE sRGB color gamut clamp, as noted by Hardware Unboxed in this video, at 10:20.
Actually lot of gaming monitors with wide-gamut panels have sRGB mode if not the most.

Of course there is an issue that manufacturers lock some controls in sRGB mode with most stupid design decision that can be made: locking brightness. I would never get brightness locked monitor. RGB setting are usually locked but this should not be an issue for most people and it should be possible to change this for some monitors in eg. service mode menu.

In my LG 27GP950 it is possible to change backlight brightness in all modes, including HDR mode. RGB controls are locked but it is possible to change them using softMCCS and the change applies to both DP and HDMI for any given mode. There are also settings in service menu but I have not tried to change them. When it comes to color calibration this monitor has even better feature: hardware calibration with gamut emulation.

Last edited:
Having color gamut as separate option which can be enabled independent of other setting and having it enabled by default sound like a great ideas and kudos for Asus engineers for that design.

Actually lot of gaming monitors with wide-gamut panels have sRGB mode if not the most.

Of course there is an issue that manufacturers lock some controls in sRGB mode with most stupid design decision that can be made: locking brightness. I would never get brightness locked monitor. RGB setting are usually locked but this should not be an issue for most people and it should be possible to change this for some monitors in eg. service mode menu.

In my LG 27GP950 it is possible to change backlight brightness in all modes, including HDR mode. RGB controls are locked but it is possible to change them using softMCCS and the change applies to both DP and HDMI for any given mode. There are also settings in service menu but I have not tried to change them. When it comes to color calibration this monitor has even better feature: hardware calibration with gamut emulation.
That's what is missing from almost all monitors, even high end: hardware calibration. And usually hard to find out if the monitor supports it or not. Doesnt the GP850 have hardware calibration as well?

Yes, LG 27GN950 and its HDMI 2.1 enabled successor 27GP950 do support hardware calibration.

I own LG 27GP950 but I do not own proper calibration tool for it yet to properly calibrate it. Fortunately factory calibration is good enough. I will however get something appropriate for it, like i1 Pro 2 which I wanted to get anyway.

I did test hardware calibration with i1 Display 2 and... it is definitely not the kind of device which should be used with these monitors
I guess list of supported devices for LG calibration software not including this probe should be a big clue which I missed here 😅

I recently had one arrive this week. Overall, it's a step up from my PQ278q. I will admit 240Hz isn't as big of a jump from 144Hz, but it still is noticeable. I can read text now when moving a window on my screen. Not as good as what CRTs were, and unfortunately, not as clear as ULMB, but still good for a base setting.

My one current disappointment is the stand. I'll need to replace this, as it doesn't raise high enough for me.

Played around with it a little more.

I got lucky in that it didn't have any bad pixels, and there appeared to be little IPS glow, so was real happy about that. The one area that is weak, is the blooming. If the lights are all off, you can definitely tell the edge lit zones, as there's a column of light around light pixels on dark backgrounds. It's not a deal breaker for me though, because I can't notice this with my normal room lighting, and I tend not to turn the lights off.

Last edited:
So I bought this monitor from Adorama through Amazon and the monitor was defective upon delivery. So I started a return with Adorama through Amazon I got a response stating "Hi, I have followed up today with the manufacturer and unfortunately they don't have an update yet regarding our RMA request. I will update you in 2 business days or as soon as I received an update from them. We appreciate your patience and understanding. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank You." My question is, why do I have to wait for a response from the manufacturer? I bought it from Adorama, not Asus. I'm still within my 30 day return window. This isn't a warranty issue and I shouldn't have to deal with that. The monitor is defective and that's how it was delivered to me. Any help would be appreciated. P.S Adorama is saying that it was shipped directly from Asus.

Back