So...technology has changed, and I'm so confused, can I get a recommendation?

sdfg

n00b
First off, I've been looking through these threads, and you guys have a particular passion and knowledge about displays that makes me believe in people again. I've spent the past three weeks researching various monitors, and most places are just filled with...well, you know how the internet is. This is a very pleasant oasis in comparison!

Now, as I said, I've been searching for three weeks. In that time, I have discovered that literally everything I knew about monitors when I last bought one (11 years ago)...well, other than 'make pretty pictures into my eyes' is fairly irrelevant. Most of that time has been spent researching all the new buzzwords and marketing terms and things, and after my current marathon of a session (5 hours), in which I was determined to pick one or the other monitor that I had eventually narrowed down, I find that in the real world, they were both problematic options. I have learned all about HDR400-1000 and the differences in the specification; the 3 levels of G-Sync and the need for a hardware chip in some of them; I have learned all manner of things about DCI, high refresh rates, different adaptor bandwidth capabilities and protocol versions... For reference, my last (and current) monitor, is a Dell 2408WFP which has proven to be an absolute workhorse of a monitor with not a SINGLE objective issue since I got it. I am truly stunned at the quality of this piece of kit, and it will serve wonderfully as a second monitor. The only subjective issue I have with it is the brightness - even at level 0 it is too bright for me at night, and blacks just really -aren't-. Which was fine, but I have some money now and I'm redoing my whole PC setup, so it's time to move on.

I -had- been looking at both the Acer CG437K and (you probably guess it already just from that) the Asus PG43UQ. All based on reviews - even some highly technical ones like Tom's - that said 'wow'. That's why I was trying to decide between the two of them. The CG seemed to have a lower minimum brightness, so that's the one I picked. And then I did what I always do (I'm autistic, I spend waaaaaay too much time researching things to make sure I get the 'perfect' thing), I started looking for real world reviews and issues with it, which lead on to a whole other research spree of things like ghosting, inverse ghosting, halo effect, motion blur and so on. Now don't get me wrong, I know these have always been problems in the past, just it seems like the last time I looked all the monitors available were on mosty equal footing in these regards, so it was rarely something that came up in reviews. Seeing and reading these real life reviews has made me entirely rethink my position.

So I'm hoping you lovely generous people would be able to share your wisdom and recommend for me some monitors. I'm looking to move in to the modern age, as it were, but I'm not sure what the viable trade offs are any more. 4k seems the minimum way to go, and the PPI of the Dell I use is pretty much perfect for me so looking at those 43" monitors seemed like a wonderful increase in real estate - I essentially see it as 4 of my current monitor without the annoying breakup with the bezels and it makes me excited at the possibilities. I use my monitor to watch TV shows as well, and that size seems to be a wonderful happy medium that means I don't have to do what I currently do and move my monitor 6 inches from my legs when I'm sitting on the sofa! It can sit on my soon-to-be-installed PC desk and I can see it fine from the sofa. I do game, a lot, but I'm too old to do FPS any more, it's mostly things like Kerbal and RTSs with the occasional FPS RPG like Fallout or Skyrim and some older games as well. I'm much more interested in that magical medium of 'pretty, but playable', which is why I've been fine with 60Hz thus far, but, especially with older games and getting a 2070 Super, I feel from reading about high refresh rates that might make things seems a little bit prettier, actually being able to use the power in them. As I watch TV shows and movies as well, HDR seems to be a thing that might be nice. The biggest thing though is something that has a lower brightness than I currently have, and much darker blacks. I can't seem to find any such benchmarking information for the Dell to compare, however.

I realise this is a block of text, sorry.

TL,DR:
You are all lovely people. I'm looking for a monitor about 43". 4k yes, HDR yes, >60Hz yes, gsync nice to have, low minimum brightness, daaaaark blacks (OLED would be perfect), but overall top-notch visual fidelity - minimal ghosting/motion blur/halo etc. Compromises can be made. Budget up to CG437K/PG43UQ prices.

Thanks, Steve

I mean, the PG43UQ is a damn good screen, not much else to compete with it.

Been using a CG437K for the last 3 months with no regrets. Using just one DP 1.4 for VRR with some older games going at 90fps max graphics but probably around 50-60fps on new games on a 2080. Can't wait till the 3080 is released

Main thing I've seen with these 43" screens, other than being typical VA panels (so, black smearing and good luck with color accuracy if you need it), is that they run a BGR pixel pattern that messes with text rendering.

If you're not going to step up to the 48" OLED, the 38" ultrawides seem to be the best compromise so long as the aspect ratio works.

IMO it's not worth buying the 43" 4K 120 Hz screens. Any of the ones on the market. For similar money you can get an LG CX 48" OLED that is just better on every metric, just needs to be pushed further away to make up for its large size. If that does not work for you, wait for the 4K 32" models coming later this year or early next year or go for a 38" 3840x1600 ultrawide.

IMO it's not worth buying the 43" 4K 120 Hz screens. Any of the ones on the market. For similar money you can get an LG CX 48" OLED that is just better on every metric, just needs to be pushed further away to make up for its large size. If that does not work for you, wait for the 4K 32" models coming later this year or early next year or go for a 38" 3840x1600 ultrawide.

I just had a look at the CX, it seems very impressive! And not -that- much larger for the desk, either. When I was looking it up I came across people talking about 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 and things. I looked it up on wiki (which has some really good comparison shots), and I understand that it's to do with the resultant bandwidth requirements, which lead me thinking about future proofing. I'm a big one for buying something good that will last, and I see that the CX supports HDMI 2.1 which could handle 4:4:4 when I eventually upgrade to a card to handle it. It's £200 more expensive for me than the 43 inchers, is it worth the difference for better image and future proofing? (Assuming I'm careful with IR of course).

EDIT: I am worried about the glossy finish though, I find them very distracting.

I just had a look at the CX, it seems very impressive! And not -that- much larger for the desk, either. When I was looking it up I came across people talking about 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 and things. I looked it up on wiki (which has some really good comparison shots), and I understand that it's to do with the resultant bandwidth requirements, which lead me thinking about future proofing. I'm a big one for buying something good that will last, and I see that the CX supports HDMI 2.1 which could handle 4:4:4 when I eventually upgrade to a card to handle it. It's £200 more expensive for me than the 43 inchers, is it worth the difference for better image and future proofing? (Assuming I'm careful with IR of course).

EDIT: I am worried about the glossy finish though, I find them very distracting.

I have the CX on my table and like it a lot. Just know that with a HDMI 2.0 GPU you will be limited to 4K 60 Hz, HDMI 2.1 allows for 4K 120 Hz. Also understand that OLED is susceptible to burn-in so this is not the display to get if you intend to use it for say 5-10 years.

I really had high hopes for the 43" models but the panel on all of those just seems to be particularly bad as far as VA panels go. It seems ASUS is going to release another one with HDMI 2.1 support but no idea if that is also using the same panels.

Every display is going to have some compromises so you can't have it all but for me the drawbacks of the OLED are the least problematic.

I have the CX on my table and like it a lot. Just know that with a HDMI 2.0 GPU you will be limited to 4K 60 Hz, HDMI 2.1 allows for 4K 120 Hz. Also understand that OLED is susceptible to burn-in so this is not the display to get if you intend to use it for say 5-10 years.

I really had high hopes for the 43" models but the panel on all of those just seems to be particularly bad as far as VA panels go. It seems ASUS is going to release another one with HDMI 2.1 support but no idea if that is also using the same panels.

Every display is going to have some compromises so you can't have it all but for me the drawbacks of the OLED are the least problematic.

Yeah I'm wary of OLED burn-in/IR but just wary enough to figure out ways to mitigate it somewhat instead of OMG NO NEVAR like some others are. It reminds me a lot of the whole SSD write cycle thing when they first started coming out - everyone was going 'won't last long enough, it's terrible' but then people had completely overestimated how much they actually did. There's a shop along the road that has the CX and the 43" models in, I might go in an have a look at the displays. I know with the 43" panels there seems to have been a high degree of manufacturing differences between units, and part of me wonders if it's just the noisy minority that are skewing my perception of them. With these things it's best to see them in person I guess.

I do love the idea of a big display though. Playing something like Civ 6 and being able to see the entire map at once. It lets my inner Blofeld out...

Quick question for you, if you don't mind. Is the 55" inch version as good as the 48" version? I can get the 55" in Costco for the same amount I was going to spend on the 48".

Quick question for you, if you don't mind. Is the 55" inch version as good as the 48" version? I can get the 55" in Costco for the same amount I was going to spend on the 48".

They're basically the same; most of us are going the 48" route since it's close(r) to a normal desktop monitor, but the 55" should be more or less identical.

I'm just waiting for someone (rtings most likely) to review with an ampere class GPU to confirm everything with HDMI 2.1 works as expected.

For a desktop display the 55" is IMO too large unless you can put it very far away from you to make up for its size and larger pixels. IMO the 48" is already too large but since there are no smaller OLEDs I just make do by putting it about 85-90cm away from my eyes (as far as my desk allows) and using the lower 2/3 of the display more.

Has anyone come across any videos of the Samsung 55 inch 8k TV being used as a monitor with a 3080 at 8k60? The PPI on that is going to be amazing. You can even just use a corner of it for work, given the insane resolution, and then sit back and game on the whole thing.

Back