So Steam is practically Ancient in computer years...

GoodBoy

2[H]4U
1663287907675.png

Remember when Steam had skins?
Steam itself does look dated, but could you imagine the outcry if they tried to update it's appearance, or gasp, UI? Truth be told, I would prolly be one of them complaining. I can find my owned games, my on line gaming friends, and new games to buy, pretty easily. That is about the limit of my expectations.

Steam itself does look dated, but could you imagine the outcry if they tried to update it's appearance, or gasp, UI? Truth be told, I would prolly be one of them complaining. I can find my owned games, my on line gaming friends, and new games to buy, pretty easily. That is about the limit of my expectations.
I bitched when they updated the UI, I liked the old original one better like Zepher posted.

I just want a few extra buttons and things to make navigation easier. Example: on a store page for the game, the only way to the community hub is a little button at the top right of the page.

I bought a Radeon 9600XT with a free Steam account in 2004, that said I never set mine up. Frankly, at the time it just seemed like some other fly-by-night online service that would probably disappear once the hype for Half Life 2 finally died down. I am sure glad that I didn't put money on that prediction though. Honestly, what were the odds that some little game company that was known basically only for Half Life 1 would go on to create an online platform that would eventually become the defacto way that people play games.

Last edited:
I heard a while back the work on the Deck UI will be ported over to Steam on desktops. Some of it could be good, but it is optimized for a tiny-ass screen; I hope they take 4K into consideration. I'm sure they are, but still.

It was a magical time, I wish it was like that again.

steam.jpg

Last edited:
I did my machine and three for my siblings with 9600 XT pro's for Christmas 2003. Got the Half Life 2 boxes, but the builds were for Doom 3 if I recall correctly. My first dual core Athlon? In a shuttle SFF. I built one into a pirate treasure chest for the sister in her pirate/ballerina phase. I do not miss the CRT's though.

Tribes 1 and 2 were the games to be playing though. Tribes 2 had its own email and clan pages with blogs inside the game. I have never seen community like that since.

So now we all have OG steam accounts and very nerdy pictures from our childhoods like these.

DSCF4525.JPG

Beach1.jpg

DSCF4812.JPG

Last edited:
I created my Steam account in order to pre-order the Half-Life 2 / Counter-Strike:Source combo.

1663308493981.png

It was around a little bit before that, but I saw no reason to install it or use it.

WON worked perfectly well for my existing Counter-Strike needs at the time.

I didn't see a need to transition until it was forced on me :p (I guess some things never change)

I did my machine and three for my siblings with 9600 XT pro's for Christmas 2003. Got the Half Life 2 boxes, but the builds were for Doom 3 if I recall correctly. My first dual core Athlon? In a shuttle SFF. I built one into a pirate treasure chest for the sister in her pirate/ballerina phase. I do not miss the CRT's though.

Tribes 1 and 2 were the games to be playing though. Tribes 2 had its own email and clan pages with blogs inside the game. I have never seen community like that since.

So now we all have OG steam accounts and very nerdy pictures from our childhoods like these.

View attachment 510586

View attachment 510584

View attachment 510585

Camping LAN party?

Steam is still technically skinable, there's the option in the settings window under interface.

Though, I don't know of any modern skins for it. It'd be a pretty tall order to make a custom skin because of how extensive the UI is now, compared to Steam 1.0 or 2.0.

I still remember back on the original Steam release where there were probably a few hundred skins available.

I remember when steam started as I'm sure many of you also do. We were still playing HL1/CS/TFC with the built in won.net service. Steam was originally billed as a replacement for that - and oh man was it garbage in the beginning. I tried it for shits and giggles and I got far more shits than I did giggles. Crashed constantly, went back to using won.net until they got the bugs worked out.

Kind of interesting to think about how far steam has come over the years.

Steam is still my default launcher for basically everything. While the core UI looks and feels pretty old, you can jazz things up with custom box art and you can add games (or programs of any sort) to make things look modern.
Steam.png

I just checked my profile, I have 18 years of service. I remember the transition from the old WON servers for CS 1.6 and TFC to Steam, I thought it was a steaming pile of shit at first but Valve eventually ironed out all the bugs.

1663337939400.png

Last edited:
1663336589562.png

I had another Steam account back in 2004, but because of some CS:S login shenanigans, I've been using my fallback ever since.
I couldn't stand Steam in the beginning, but it was forced on me and here we are 17-18 years later.

View attachment 510649

I had another Steam account back in 2004, but because of some CS:S login shenanigans, I've been using my fallback ever since.
I couldn't stand Steam in the beginning, but it was forced on me and here we are 17-18 years later.
I did too, but it was trashy back then. Plus lots of us were still on dial-up so physical discs were still much more practical than any kind of digital distrib.

Steam is still my default launcher for basically everything. While the core UI looks and feels pretty old, you can jazz things up with custom box art and you can add games (or programs of any sort) to make things look modern.View attachment 510648

I use Steam for almost everything as well. I also use GoG.

I don't see where the interface is dated, or even how that matters. It's not like you spend much time in Steam itself anyway. You open steam, and 10 seconds later you are launching your game.

That said, if anyhting, I prefered the old Steam layout before they forced all these game icons on us. I like minimalist interfaces.

It will be a cold day in hell before I ever let EGS onto my machine.

I'm at the point where if something tries to force me to install a launcher/store I don't want or create an account, I just pass on it instead, or if I really want to play it, just use the "community version". This is what I did with everything in the Far Cry series since FC3 when the "Uplay is required" nonsense started. Signing into an account to play a single player game? I don't think so. I own the titles in my steam library for good measure, so I can say I legitimately own them, but I don't have them installed. I play the community editions to bypass UPlay or whatever the new launcher is called now.

I'm happy with my two stores/launchers, and I don't want any others on my machine, and I don't want to create any accounts I don't already have. I made this decision in 2017-2018 some time. No new accounts. If I don't already have an account with a service, I won't create one. Thus far I have stuck to it. I don't even have a Microsoft account, and I will never get one. If they start enforcing it, and not letting me use only local accounts, I'll just stop using Windows.

I don't even have a Microsoft account, and I will never get one. If they start enforcing it, and not letting me use only local accounts, I'll just stop using Windows.

I'm at this point as well. Basically my main box is all about steam games. I need to revisit SteamOS if that's still a thing. FTL also runs fine on my mac mini 2013 i7, so I have a fallback :D

I'm at this point as well. Basically my main box is all about steam games. I need to revisit SteamOS if that's still a thing. FTL also runs fine on my mac mini 2013 i7, so I have a fallback :D

Sadly I remember reading that SteamOS died a long time ago, like 2017, but maybe it will come back now that they did all the work for the Steam Deck.

With all of the work that has gone into the OS for the Deck, considering that it is an x86 machine, it should be relatively trivial to release a general PC version of the OS, if that's what they want to do.

Like some others I didn't install steam right away, didn't want to and my friends and I kept playing CS 1.6 on LAN only for awhile, can't remember why I finally gave up and installed steam but it has been my main (and usually only) game launcher since... I did install epic games store on my old build but haven't reinstalled it because I was only using it because I got Boarderlands 3 for super cheap... but now I am pretty done with that game... I also do not care for the fact Tencent owns 40% of epic...

1663342924647.png

View attachment 510586

View attachment 510584

View attachment 510585

That's a pretty sweet casemod!

It may be ancient, but they update it - and it works.

Actually I find it the least annoying of all the installer-launcher-thingies.

Back