So 'Shattered Horizon' is actually cooler than expected

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
I think I'd held out on the game for the longest time, as the idea of just a handful of maps, few game modes, and a single gun kinda put me off it. Dunno, seemed too...simplistic?

It's been getting updates, though, I guess. So I took a leap of faith (it sure did LOOK nice) and picked up the four-pack for some guys at the office, too. (Huge fans of Ender's Game. This game definitely has a VERY STRONG "the enemy gate is down" feel to it.)

And the thing is that the smaller player count seems to lend itself better to the current server levels. Even 8 v 8 feels like...way too much. Too hard to keep track of. 4 v 4 is much better. It's almost more...I dunno, like the classic starfighter sims of old. The movement in zero-g is plodding enough, need to lead targets when shooting at range, momentum from a lack of ground or atmosphere contact...it definitely doesn't FEEL like a conventional shooter.

I'd say, of all the games I'd played to date, the feeling it most evokes in my mind (for how the movement feels) is a mix of Tribes and Descent. Except it obviously looks way, WAY nicer.

So...yeah, I'd recommend this one. Dunno what the history of it was, how it played before or what feelings people might have had from the earlier release. We just picked it up and started playing it, so can only comment on the current build, but...it's pretty cool!

It was way too basic at the beginning, but how they kept updating it and changing the game was worse. I played it for a while at release, and a few times within the past 6 months. It's just lacks any substance whatsoever, and is pretty much dead as a doornail nowadays. I remember having high expectations for the game, but they really need to learn how to execute launches. Hopefully they learn something with SH and apply it to whatever future endeavors they plan, as they're graphical talents surely deserve some recognition.

Yeah, they released this huge content update that added a bunch of new weapons, but frankly the fact that it had one gun + 3 grenade types made the game what it was...really balanced. The more random guns you add the more unbalanced and annoying it gets. Not that it was terrible with the new weapons, but everyone and their mom just ended up using the sniper rifle from half the map away.

EDIT: And I agree with the OP about the player count; when you get 10+ players it gets really hectic. Most of the time you just die and never even know where it came from.

Back