So Quake4 is a similiar to Q2 singleplayer ? Ok show me the CoOp

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
All this talk about Quake4's singleplayer to be like Quake2 has my mouth watering :drool: But I must have missed the item about the CoOp mode for the single player, which Quake2 included ?

Have PC developers just forgotten about CoOp mode this century, was it just a 90's thing ? Or is Micro$haft buying them to include CoOP on X-Box titles only, to make their version of a games better

I enjoyed Quake 2 ..I just might have to look into this Quake 4 thing after all .... :)

versello said:
As far as I can recall, Q2 didn't officially have co-op. Quake 1 did.

quake2 had CoOp for sure, and it was NOT a mod, but officially supported by id

Labrador said:
quake2 had CoOp for sure, and it was NOT a mod, but officially supported by id

Yes... many many hours spent playing Q2 CoOp. I hope 4 isn't crappy like 3 was (i know, there are many fans of Q3, but it just didn't have the game play that Q2 had, but everyone is different).
It "looks" pretty, but does it play well? Graphics are good and all, but how will it stand up to LAN play? Deathmatch gets old quick... We shall have to wait and see.

Peace,
Tim

If you are looking for Coop Quake 4, I would look into Quake wars.

Jasonx82 said:
Co-op? = single player campaign with a buddy? :confused:
Yes. And Co-op makes almost any game more fun. After you beat it alone, bring in a buddy and beat it with a different strategy.

The fun of co-op is that you aren't competing against your friends. So instead of telling your buddy he sucks because you blasted him with a rocket 5 times in a row, you can tell him he sucks because he keeps falling off the edge of a cliff. Always a fun time at LAN parties. Not so much fun over the internet.

the@ntipop said:
The fun of co-op is that you aren't competing against your friends. So instead of telling your buddy he sucks because you blasted him with a rocket 5 times in a row, you can tell him he sucks because he keeps falling off the edge of a cliff. Always a fun time at LAN parties. Not so much fun over the internet.

yeap i still remember playing dungeon seige Legends of Aranna with a bunch of friends at a lan. man oh man that was fun.

Hmm hearing how much fun Q2 CoOp was makes me upset that I never had the chance to play any of the Quake games. :(

you were really missing out

quake1 opend up how fast paced games could be, quake2 really brought everyone together

quake2 was not only stunning, but the MP on that game was insane'o, it was so addicting i forced myself to play it on 320/240 (haha this rez hasn't been supported for a LONG time)

SP Campaign with Co-Op has always been the most fun I've ever had, really. Quake2 was a great example of it.

Probably why I still play Diablo so much, actually.

I just wanna get my hands on the Linux version....he he he - play the game without Microsoft Windows Hoggin all the memory...

A mod team created a co-op add-on for Doom 3, chances are one will be done for Quake 4. It would've been nice to have already had it there though...

Have any recent games supported Coop out of the box ? It seems most do not any more. Coop can be fun, and the last coop I remember playing is Svens coop for half life.

Trimlock said:

quake1 opend up how fast paced games could be, quake2 really brought everyone together

quake2 was not only stunning, but the MP on that game was insane'o, it was so addicting i forced myself to play it on 320/240 (haha this rez hasn't been supported for a LONG time)
No fucking way; Quake 1 is sloooow compared to Doom/DoomII

iddqd said:
No fucking way; Quake 1 is sloooow compared to Doom/DoomII

Really ? I have not played the original Quake or Doom in a long long time, but I remember playing Quake 1 on a 14.4 modem, and I remember it being pretty fast paced.

Draax said:
Really ? I have not played the original Quake or Doom in a long long time, but I remember playing Quake 1 on a 14.4 modem, and I remember it being pretty fast paced.

Quake 1 was fast but Doom I/II was like being on crack

sitheris said:
Quake 1 was fast but Doom I/II was like being on crack

Ya I guess im not one to judge speed of the game, hell the last time I played Quake 1, I still lived at home with my parents, and was still in highschool. :eek:

/feels old

I can still hear the sounds of that pineapple bounceing around though :p

Trimlock said:

you know... its good to see that someone really thought q2 was that good... I always here people bitching about q2.

I am opposite almost everyone in the world... I could not stand doom when it first came out. I did see hte potential of the genre and the technical knowhow that needed to get that game out... but I really prefered duke to doom.

When quake came out, I was hooked 100%. Quake really set the standard for what needed to be done to make a FPS really stand out. Q2 just improved on the "story" concept and really opened up the world mof modding. I spent many an hour playing LMCTF when it was out. God damn was that alot of fun :) I miss those days

Draax said:
Have any recent games supported Coop out of the box ? It seems most do not any more. Coop can be fun, and the last coop I remember playing is Svens coop for half life.

Serious Sam games have had Co Op, (including Serious Sam 2), the SWAT titles also have it, and I'm sure a number of others, but you're right it isn't nearly as popular as it once was.
They are great fun at lan parties still though. We used to waste entire nights on GLQuake rocket arena and Q2 co op.

I really do hope we see a big co op mode in Q4, tossing about 8 guys into a squad for the SP would make it a must buy for me.

FreiDOg said:
I really do hope we see a big co op mode in Q4, tossing about 8 guys into a squad for the SP would make it a must buy for me.

QFT that would be awesome, quake in a squad. Im guessing this is going to be quake wars though.

I missed Q2, so I never got to play CO-Op.

I got Quake 1 with my super duper Pentium 166Mhz, with 2Mb EDO videoram, and 32Mb of system EDO (I think) and it was the shit at the time.

Then a long while later when I had my P3 OC'd system I got Quake 3, and GeForce256/ GF2 LOVED it and a few various mods, mostly Rocket Arena 3.

Bought Xbox beat Halo in like a week and never played it again. (played it online with the Tunnel software before Xbox Live was launched) But for the most part my Xbox is an expensive DVD player!

Then I played Soldier of Fortune 2 the next few years (really still play it quite often)

And then skipped to Doom3 which sucks b/c everything is too dark. (beat it in about a week) with a little help with some (cabinet) codes off the net

And now BF2 is my game of choice.

I'm hoping Q4 will be as fun as Q3 was for me.

In addition to the aformetnioned Serious Sam co-op

I lost track of the number of LAN evenings spent doing
coop on the Rainbow Six series.

IDK; doom deathmatch was really fun. And not entirely unlike being on crack ;) The game auto-aims for you; but you better have fucking amazing reflexes, or you won't catch anyone. Also, you can actually run away from rockets. Yep, you sprint at the same speed :D

BTW; I still play doom multiplayer from time to time... there's this windows port called zdoom that allows you to play on the TCP/IP protocol :D. Back in the day, they only had IPX...

So, if anyone wants to play DoomII, I'm game..

Are the Quake games really that good, as everyone claims they are? Are they like Doom, where I thought every Doom game got boring and repeitive really fast? Maybe I should try get Quake games in some value bin, and try these games out.

somecallmeTim said:
I hope 4 isn't crappy like 3 was (i know, there are many fans of Q3, but it just didn't have the game play that Q2 had, but everyone is different).
Peace,
Tim

Well...I spent many hours playing Quake4 MP at quakecon late at night (thanks nVidia)

I can tell you it plays EXACTLY like Q3 multiplayer. If you dont like that...well, there you go.

I loved it (of course I won every game, straight up, for about 15-20 games of 25 player fun)

BBA said:
Well...I spent many hours playing Quake4 MP at quakecon late at night (thanks nVidia)

I can tell you it plays EXACTLY like Q3 multiplayer. If you dont like that...well, there you go.

I loved it (of course I won every game, straight up, for about 15-20 games of 25 player fun)
Well, Q3 multiplayer isn't too bad... I mean, I just hated the weapons + maps in the game. And it isn't nearly too fast enough. But it's alright... yeah...

Serious Sam co-op was so much fun. The game is so open and crazy and cartoony it makes it a lot more fun than sneaking around. I really hope ss2 has it.

I think halo for the pc should have had co-op, but hey,obviously microsoft doesn't need to listen to what people want...

>Are the Quake games really that good, as everyone claims they are? Are they like Doom, where I thought every Doom game got boring and repeitive really fast? Maybe I should try get Quake games in some value bin, and try these games out.

of course this is purely your opinion, no one is going to tell you "yea they are exactly like doom, but id decided to remake them into a more future'istic title so you shouldn't bother," kind of up to you to decide if the $5 quake 1 box is going to be worth the trouble trying it out

getting the older titles now is not going to hold the luster they had back then, such as in quake1 the rocket launcher was godly, no one used hardly anything else, and no one cared about stupid weapon-balance, it was just pure adrenalin

Doom3 has 2 co-op mods but a game needs to have it included out of the box for it to really take off. What a load of rubbish it was when ID said they were too far down the development path to include it in Doom3 when what they meant was M$ had paid them a shedload of money not to include it on the PC/Mac version. Obviously not THAT hard if a mod can pop up so quickly.

I dont see why they cant include it in Quake4. I think they need all the angles they can to make it stand out in this overcrowded market.

QFT.
If Halo for PC had coop i think it would have done a whooooole lot better saleswise. No coop? Why the hell do i want to play the same game thats been out for years when it's a bastardized version missing one of the most fun features? :( Gearbox sucks.

Hope q4 has coop. Beating the entirety of quake 1 coop with a friend on the highest difficulty in 1 sitting is one of my fondest early gaming memories. :D

ehZn said:
I think halo for the pc should have had co-op, but hey,obviously microsoft doesn't need to listen to what people want...

BBA said:

HAHA, I remeber that, you were pretty damn good too.
Im guessing you remeber me
Xipher

you guys thnik vanilla quake 3 is fast? haha, i pitty those who haven't played LMCTF/LRCTF

add an off hand grapple with some flags and it's on like donkey kong.

viva la LMCTF/LRCTF

-eog

Back