So... now what?

The Spyder

2[H]4U
I have gathered equipment of Craigslist, client upgrades, and work left overs, for the last few years. I have just played around with full server 2003 configs between the servers, various linux distros, and studying for my CCNA.

However my servers sit empty and unused, except for the fileserver, FTP server, and website.

Here is the config.

I have several unlisted hardware peices, HP hubs, cisco hubs, rack KVM, and even older servers like a dual pII 400, dual pIII 1gig acer.

What can I do with the sun boxes? I got them for free off my uncles company when they upgraded. (I junked the compaq 1850r's and Dell Poweredge 2400's.

I will get some real pictures later.

take my advice man, turn all that shit off, sell it and get money to beef up(ram wise) your black box server then virtualize it. I made your same mistake and built up an insane(im almost positive it was the biggest home network on these particular forums, except for of course scott morris) network, one month of it powered on constantly was around 250 USD.

That pretty much turned me off the the thought of real hardware for a test environment. Learn the virtualization(weather its vmware, microsoft, parallels, etc...). You will 100% be much happier in the long run, especially when you really begin the realize the benefits of a virtualized environment over a physical environment(disaster recovery, ease of machine builds, thin client benefits, etc...)

PS: I also virtualized all my cisco gear, with the proper tuning dynamips is insanely powerful and will take you throughout all of your cisco certs without purchasing anything besides 2 or so 3550s(CCIE)

take my advice man, turn all that shit off, sell it and get money to beef up(ram wise) your black box server then virtualize it. I made your same mistake and built up an insane(im almost positive it was the biggest home network on these particular forums, except for of course scott morris) network, one month of it powered on constantly was around 250 USD.

That pretty much turned me off the the thought of real hardware for a test environment. Learn the virtualization(weather its vmware, microsoft, parallels, etc...). You will 100% be much happier in the long run, especially when you really begin the realize the benefits of a virtualized environment over a physical environment(disaster recovery, ease of machine builds, thin client benefits, etc...)

PS: I also virtualized all my cisco gear, with the proper tuning dynamips is insanely powerful and will take you throughout all of your cisco certs without purchasing anything besides 2 or so 3550s(CCIE)

QFT

That and the fact that in most real-world production environments you will be working mostly with virtualized servers on the software end (such as ESX) and blade centers on the hardware end (such as HP c-series and Cisco 6000 or 9000 series)

Not saying the experience you've gained is not valuable but in moving forward this is what you would want to learn.

Another vote for virtualization. Besides my 1 server (exchange, DC, DHCP, Web) I just run everything on my main machine. (see sig) I found that by running the virtual machines on their own hard drives I can still game on it with 2-3 virtual machines running without any problems.

Yup, I'd recommend getting rid of all that in favor of one box and running a virtual server. That's what I'm doing. I have three servers, and I just spent about 900 bucks for an Asus server mobo, 2.13GHz core 2 duo, 2GB of RAM and a few 500 gig HD's. I'm going to consolidate three servers onto that. Saves electricity, noise and space too!

Lol.
This thread is old!

I have 2 Dual Quad Core Xeon boxes with ESX now. I will update with pictures later.

nice, i have a e6600 with 16gb of ram for my esx box.

I have 2 Quad socket Quad Core Xeon boxes with 32GB of ram at work for ESX. But they've been sitting in their shipping boxes on the floor for about 3 months now. :(

I have 2 Quad socket Quad Core Xeon boxes with 32GB of ram at work for ESX. But they've been sitting in their shipping boxes on the floor for about 3 months now. :(
I will come, pick them up, and put them to good use.

I will come, pick them up, and put them to good use.

LOL, I'm sure a lot of people would. One day, we'll actually get some free time to start that project up. Need to finish with the iSCSI SAN first though.

Back