The new 780i / 790i chipsets should support it.

But they've been delayed because Intel want's to license Nvidia's SLi code and Nvidia doesn't want to share.

So the only way is to get a board with an Nvidia chipset - and the nF4 was the last one that didn't suck.

Here's hoping that the new chipset isn't as bad as the 680i is.

well the new 7xx series release coming is December IS the 680i only difference is an added chip for full speed on all PCIE 16x slots.

I almost went with it (i plained on SLI 2 8800gts)

But after reading about the 680i and seeing that the new 780i is the same damn thing. I said forget that am staying with intel for another year.

I was gonna get a 680LT board, so just because of that CPU it wont allow SLI to work? I don't see how a CPU could effect that.

I was gonna get a 680LT board, so just because of that CPU it wont allow SLI to work? I don't see how a CPU could effect that.

No, the motherboards that support SLi don't support that CPU. Currently, you have to have one of nVidia's chipsets to run SLi, but nVidia's chipsets don't support Penryn CPUs.

Now if I go with a QX6850 instead, that is SLI certified ;) , what SLI mobo will support 1333fsb?

You are basically still stuck with Nvidia boards... and then you'd have a board that you pay out your rear for and it doesn't leave room for upgrades (cpu) ... and not to mention now you sit with a slower proc.

I don't upgrade as often as I used to do so it means I have to replace the whole lot when I finally do, just like the current socket 939 system in my sig.

For the new system I have the following priorities:
1, 100% system stability.
2, powerful enough to handle a 30" Dell.
3, 4 cores as I normally run multiple clients of EVE-Online.

So with the currently available hardware I'm stuffed regardless what path I'm going. :(

The boards that do support Yorkfield (P35 and X38 chipsets) support Crossfire, so you could get two 3870s if you really want a multi-GPU setup but need upgrade room for the CPU.

I don't upgrade as often as I used to do so it means I have to replace the whole lot when I finally do, just like the current socket 939 system in my sig.

For the new system I have the following priorities:
1, 100% system stability.
2, powerful enough to handle a 30" Dell.
3, 4 cores as I normally run multiple clients of EVE-Online.

So with the currently available hardware I'm stuffed regardless what path I'm going. :(

If you wanted to really walk on the wild side, you could stick with AMD and get the Quadfire platform, aka 790FX. CPU performance will suffer on a Phenom compared to Core 2 Quad (especially of the Penryn variety), but you'll be able to use four graphics cards. Even with 3870's, that should be plenty to handle a 30" monitor, and it's inevitable that inevitably AMD will come out with a true high-end card that will really be good with Quadfire. Right now the MSI K9A2 Platinum is the best bet for Quadfire motherboards, as it's the only one you can actually fit 4 dual-slot video cards into.

Anyone done Quad GPU yet? And I mean consumer, one of y'all, not some demonstration (we all saw that photo).

Also, other than Penryn support, I fail to see how the Nvidia boards suck- compared to P35+, they aren't super overclockers, but they do their job and support SLi, if you need that.

And remember that Penryn, while the hot thing now, will be replaced with Nehelam, the chip I'd much rather upgrade to; Penryn is a small step really. And we're still so GPU bound, even today- I find my system sucking on my GTS more than the 3.0ghz Core 2, and not maxing my memory either, in Crysis or UT3- it's all just dying for more shader power, and that's only at 1600x1200 :). Unless you need the extra CPU, odds are any gamer doesn't, I can't see the point. I'm personally looking for a good deal on the GTS 640's that are going out of style...

On asus site it lists the quad 45nm chips as NOT working with their 780i offering.

So given that, given the 780i being a 680i + pci-e 2.0, and given the current state of the 680i I'd wait before making any plans around 780i for a quad.

seems to be an interesting chipset, hope it stays compatible with the penryns that are scheduled to launch in january.

The new 780i / 790i chipsets should support it.

But they've been delayed because Intel want's to license Nvidia's SLi code and Nvidia doesn't want to share.

So the only way is to get a board with an Nvidia chipset - and the nF4 was the last one that didn't suck.

Here's hoping that the new chipset isn't as bad as the 680i is.

why is the view so much that 680i sucks? I love my 680i board.

and my experiances with a bunch of Nforce 4 boards were terrible.

why is the view so much that 680i sucks? I love my 680i board.

and my experiances with a bunch of Nforce 4 boards were terrible.

You shouldn't have to ask this question if you read any forum about 680i. There are well documented problems with RAM overvolting causing RAM to die and persistant board failure after just a few moths of use. All this without overclocking! I'm glad you enjoy your 680i. I loved mine too for about two months until the nightmares began. Intel is the only option for me from now on.

Back