So Newegg gave me some free Ram with my MB purchase

All-Or-Nothing

Weaksauce
It's not even compatible.

They gave me the F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR...4Gx2 sticks

The motherboard I bought is an FM2 motherboard. Biostar A85W.

Why in the world would they give me FREE memory and it not even be compatible with the board I bought.

Maybe it will work and I just don't know it. Will it work or do I just save it for my next build with something compatible.

The motherboard takes DDR3 and they gave you DDR3. Have you tried booting the motherboard with that memory? I didn't see anything to suggest that those GSKILL modules wouldn't work in your motherboard.

The motherboard takes DDR3 and they gave you DDR3. Have you tried booting the motherboard with that memory? I didn't see anything to suggest that those GSKILL modules wouldn't work in your motherboard.

Honestly I haven't tried using the RAM they gave me. Here is what the package says...

Compatible with Intel LGA1155/LGA1156 systems and AM3/AM3+/FM1 platforms.

I'm "assuming" since FM2 isn't listed it will not be compatible. I didn't want to try it unless someone could advise me further.

Fear not, DDR3 is a standard and both components feature it. Marketing didn't do their job but the engineers did. Newegg gave you compatible ram.

Fear not, DDR3 is a standard and both components feature it. Marketing didn't do their job but the engineers did. Newegg gave you compatible ram.

Thanks alot. I think I'm gonna order another set of these and run all four since my MB has 4 slots.

Yup, i doubt you use 16G of ram or will even close, save the money for beer or something

if u have to fill up all those slots, go 16x4 and max it out, otherwise 8 is fine. :)

Honestly I haven't tried using the RAM they gave me. Here is what the package says...

I'm "assuming" since FM2 isn't listed it will not be compatible. I didn't want to try it unless someone could advise me further.

DDR3 is DDR3... as long as its not SODIMM and its the proper voltage, it will work. ;)

Reason why fm2 isnt listed becasue when that was printed fm2 didn't exist

Lucky. I've had geeks accidently send me a 100$ cherry black mechanical keyboard for free..but it was DOA :(

Ha, something similar happened to me over the past summer. Along with my case and memory I ordered, they sent me twice the order of ram, along with a Sandisk Extreme 120GB ssd and a 32GB SDHC card. I called Customer Service to eliminate any guilt of mine, they said they would let their prospective manager know. I waited for a month to hear back from them before using the parts. Funny thing is, the SSD was DOA, but Sandisk offered a free replacement through RMA. Talk about luck! :D

To be somewhat on topic though, looks like you've gotten your answer already, enjoy the free memory :)

Wow! In that case would you mind selling me a copy of Windows 7 for about 8-10 dollars?

LOL yeah i was thinking the same thing... I could use an extra copy or five of windows ultimate. Seriously windows is too damn expensive >.<

LOL yeah i was thinking the same thing... I could use an extra copy or five of windows ultimate. Seriously windows is too damn expensive >.<

Yes! It is way way too expensive. I spent $330 for Windows 7 licenses for both my desktop machines, and Microsoft still hassles me to no end when I phone in to activate. Last week when I did a phone activation the Microshaft rep made me tell him the detailed, long winded story of why I was having to reinstall windows again. What Effing difference does it make?? If it my cops of windows or not? I paid 330 dollars to pay this guy's wadge to hassle me on the phone and try to prevent me from activating? Sheesh!

Back