So, My RX580 basically died....would i be stupid to get....

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Hey all,

My RX580 I have had for sometime is now crashing under any type of load. I have done clean Win installs, used drivers as far back as May 2020, tweaked power, underclocked, you name it, crashes and burns. It started doing this once in a blue moon a couple months ago and I shrugged it off, but now i cant do anything. This card was bought used like 3 years ago so may of been used and abused before me.

I was really hoping to get a 3070, then news of the 6800 series came out and that looked good.

However as we know inventory is non existent and so I am wondering if buying one of these used cards would be silly right now if the price was right, thinking that I can no longer wait until Feb/March and hope for inventory like I was planning before.

This is in Canada, looking at 2080 Super's they retail for $1,100 new still but found some of these. $700 seems too high for what I would want to pay for a used card and knowing that 2080 prices are higher due to no 3000 / 6800 inventory...

• EVGA RTX 2080 Super - $700 CAD Used (bought 6 months ago) Still has 2 year warranty with store - Maybe they would take $600?
  • RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX GAMING OC - $580 CAD Used / retail box included with Accessories.
  • RTX 2080 Ti EVGA FTW 3 - $700 CAD
  • RTX 2080 Super MSI GAMING X TRIO - $550 CAD - Used / retail box included with Accessories

Thoughts?

New 1660 Ti's go for $400, if you can find them in stock, 2060's are all out of stock at are at the $500 mark new. 5600XT start at $440 new but are also out of stock..

Last edited:
It is so personal in how much value you give to play/do the work you do with the gpu for the unsure amount of time before a 3060TI + tax and the AMD 6700 / 6700xt and what not alternative make any of the new current possible option look silly.

On the used one, the $550 with no tax for a 2080 super do not look out of place from a possible 3060TI at $560+ tax, but not much or no warranty at all has is down side has you certainly know.

Hey all,

My RX580 I have had for sometime is now crashing under any type of load. I have done clean Win installs, used drivers as far back as May 2020, tweaked power, underclocked, you name it, crashes and burns. It started doing this once in a blue moon a couple months ago and I shrugged it off, but now i cant do anything. This card was bought used like 3 years ago so may of been used and abused before me.

I was really hoping to get a 3070, then news of the 6800 series came out and that looked good.

However as we know inventory is non existent and so I am wondering if buying one of these used cards would be silly right now if the price was right, thinking that I can no longer wait until Feb/March and hope for inventory like I was planning before.

This is in Canada, looking at 2080 Super's they retail for $1,100 new still but found some of these. $700 seems too high for what I would want to pay for a used card and knowing that 2080 prices are higher due to no 3000 / 6800 inventory...

• EVGA RTX 2080 Super - $700 Used (bought 6 months ago) Still has 2 year warranty with store - Maybe they would take $600?
  • RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX GAMING OC - $580 Used / retail box included with Accessories.
  • RTX 2080 Ti EVGA FTW 3 - $700
  • RTX 2080 Super MSI GAMING X TRIO - $550 - Used / retail box included with Accessories

Thoughts?

New 1660 Ti's go for $400, if you can find them in stock, 2060's are all out of stock at are at the $500 mark new. 5600XT start at $440 new but are also out of stock..
Yes, you would be stupid to pay those prices for last gen.

I feel your pain, bad time to buy video cards unless you wanna get railed. I would suggest looking on a craigslist or offer up site and find something to hold you over if you can get it cheap.

You wouldn't be stupid to pay those prices if you need something to game with now. If you have no functional video card it doesn't leave you with a lot of choices. Nvidia 3000 series and AMD 6000 series are extremely hard to find in Canada. If you live close enough to a brick and mortar like Canada Computers you can place a backorder. If you are like me and looking for a card online only they disappear in seconds when they pop up and I've had no luck getting any of the new cards. You get better bang for your buck if you can ride it out, but if you need something right now have you considered something cheaper just to get by and keep as a spare or return/sell once inventory of the new stuff comes online?

Something like a 1650 might be a stopgap until something else is available. https://www.newegg.ca/evga-geforce-...cm_re=geforce_1650-_-9SIAATCBP72498-_-Product

Ya was kind of my thought, that voice saying "do not buy a card now cause then the ones you will want will magically appear in stock!" (wishful thinking). Seeing as we get gouged here in Canada though with exchange rates.

6800 - $940 CAD
6800 XT - $1,069 CAD
3070 - $800 ish CAD - but now with NVIDIA likely releasing Ti version of some cards (or just the 3060 and 3080 later?)
3080 - $1000 ish CAD (corrected)

I am a 1440p gamer @ 165Mhz monitor and was thinking this next card purchase will be one that last 3-5 years for me (i dont play the latest and greatest often)

Or I try to just suck it up and not game for like 2-3 months.....

Last edited:
ELox yup, Memory Express has had nothing really since launch of either card and most of their other cards are selling out as well, dam you covid! I will keep hunting around for a stop gap card perhaps then.

$700CAD is like $550USD, which seems like a decent deal for a 2080Ti especially considering the lack of availability for new cards.

Before tax, 3070 under $750 are "common", well theoric existence

https://www.canadacomputers.com/search/results_details.php?language=en&keywords=rtx 3070&isort=price
8 models here are under the $750 bar, 2 under the $710, FE is $680, higher than the $640 pure conversion rate but not that far
Yes that's true. 3060ti around $600ish as well. Of course the prices are pretty meaningless at this point when you can't actually order any of them other than the occasional 3090 for 2K+ that you can actually still find online.

A 3060 Ti would be ideal, retail price is good, dam inventory, we can thank people like this:

1607377960759.png

Just take the card apart and reapply fresh thermal compound and pads. That shit dries and shrinks after a few years. I had to redo my 2080ti and it stopped crashing and ran 20c cooler.

Just take the card apart and reapply fresh thermal compound and pads. That shit dries and shrinks after a few years. I had to redo my 2080ti and it stopped crashing and ran 20c cooler.
This.

I would do this before considering buying a new card at these prices. I would re-paste it and then ziptie a couple of Noctua CPU fans to it for additional cooling. Without the shroud.

tangoseal I have actually done that already. the fans had died on it months back so I modded the shroud and have 2 x 120MM fans on it, cleaned it out good, new thermal paste and all!, keeps the card nice and cool!

I was considering installing ubuntu and Steam and see if games crash there or not, but since this is doing it with an old install, and a new clean install of win 10 and various drivers released through 2020 I have used before fine, I am leaning towards it being the card. Games, benchmarks, they all crash it.

If this were me, I'd buy a used GTX 970 / R9 390 or something similar and wait for prices/supply to normalize. The GTX 970 & R9 390 should be floating around $75-100 USD right now and I don't imagine their value will depreciate that much further (maybe $10-20 in a few months) in the weeks or months it takes for RX 6000 / RTX 3000 supply to catch up. This would allow me to keep on gaming right now for the net cost (after flipping it) of a 12-pack of beer.

If this were me, I'd buy a used GTX 970 / R9 390 or something similar and wait for prices/supply to normalize. The GTX 970 & R9 390 should be floating around $75-100 USD right now and I don't imagine their value will depreciate that much further (maybe $10-20 in a few months) in the weeks or months it takes for RX 6000 / RTX 3000 supply to catch up. This would allow me to keep on gaming right now for the net cost (after flipping it) of a 12-pack of beer.
I agree, get the cheapest card you can live with until you can get something new for msrp.

Markets dry here too
Nothing available, no one reasonable left selling 2nd hand parts. Only FX based systems for like 700 CAD
I'm looking for a CPU and can only find 3300x for 240CAD...
Kijiji is full of bandits
Only refuge left is eBay if you're willing to wait a couple weeks for your gear
I wish you luck. Hope it works out

I did find a RX 580 8G but they want $200 for it, maybe they would go down to $150 then I would at least have the same card basically I have now......

Will be keeping an eye out , a $100 card sounds nicer on the wallet :D

I wouldn't do it. Prices for RX 580's will drop like a rock when supply levels out. Would rather have something cheap that wont depreciate much when it's time to dump it.

I did find a RX 580 8G but they want $200 for it, maybe they would go down to $150 then I would at least have the same card basically I have now......

Will be keeping an eye out , a $100 card sounds nicer on the wallet :D
That's your cheapest option right now.

Ya was kind of my thought, that voice saying "do not buy a card now cause then the ones you will want will magically appear in stock!" (wishful thinking). Seeing as we get gouged here in Canada though with exchange rates.

6800 - $940 CAD
6800 XT - $1,069 CAD
3070 - $800 ish CAD - but now with NVIDIA likely releasing Ti version of some cards (or just the 3060 and 3080 later?)
3080 - $100 ish CAD

I am a 1440p gamer @ 165Mhz monitor and was thinking this next card purchase will be one that last 3-5 years for me (i dont play the latest and greatest often)

Definitely get the 3080 for $100 CAD! ^_^

If this were me, I'd buy a used GTX 970 / R9 390 or something similar and wait for prices/supply to normalize. The GTX 970 & R9 390 should be floating around $75-100 USD right now.
I was just going to post this. 970, 290, 290x, 390, etc. will all get you close enough to 580 performance to make do. I saw a few reasonably priced in the FS section earlier today.

RX570 and R9290s are equivalent and bit of a step below the 580s. R9290s on ebay for under $100, I have a few available in mint condition. Could be a great stop gap until the market supply corrects.

Some used 570 on eBay under $100 usd used. Probably pulled from mining rigs but Guaranteed to work.

I use a 390X and it games at 1440P /144Hz with a mix of ultra and high settings, can find used on eBay for under 200 USD. Since the new 3060 at 399 beats a 2080, I wouldn't pay more than 200 USD for any 2080 after EOL /used depreciation hit.

You must take into effect depreciation on any used/EOL product.

K, so was doing some fidgetting round in the AMD panel.

I got into a game of world of tanks, for once, normally it crashes in the main hanger. So what I noticed was even though it was at 100% usage, clock speed would never go past 700Mhz and my game was very jittery while doing about 50FPS..Seems like the card is stuck at some low clock. I went in on the Tuning and set it to 1310 across all phases except the first and it crashed again. I also tried with upping the max power it can use as suggested by some other people, same result, just crashed.....

So my card cant seem to clock above 700Mhz for some reason?

1607404233768.png

I would look for a 1070/1080 used IMO

Hell if things were not so stupid I would sell you my 1070ti and grab a 3060TI

Have you checked the 12v rail of your psu? If it sags below 11.85v it can cause vid card crashes but probably not core speed throttling. Couldn't hurt to check if ya have a DVOM .
I'd be checking your PSU before getting any "new" GPU's .. just to make sure

Bestbuy has seom 5500XT in stock for around $200 not sure if it's better than a 580?

I've seen that before and although it could be a hardware fault have you done the DDU dance ? I would try that before moving on to testing the PSU

Smells like the driver is keeping the card in a low power state instead of kicking through the other states

Hey all,

• EVGA RTX 2080 Super - $700 CAD Used (bought 6 months ago) Still has 2 year warranty with store - Maybe they would take $600?
  • RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX GAMING OC - $580 CAD Used / retail box included with Accessories.
  • RTX 2080 Ti EVGA FTW 3 - $700 CAD
  • RTX 2080 Super MSI GAMING X TRIO - $550 CAD - Used / retail box included with Accessories

Thoughts?

I have a brand new XFX R 580 8GB, the box is sealed and everything. I was gonna post it on eBay. Would you be interested in buying? (I have 100% positive feedback on eBay).

learners permit ThreeDee , I have this PSU
https://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=648&area=en

It does have a single 12v rail rated to 66amps.

1607446691492.png

I will note though the card was doing this in my Dell T5610 Workstation I was running for the past month, however only once in a while, maybe 2-3 times during a gaming session of 3-4 hours.

Current systems specs are:
  • MSI B360M PRO-VH
  • Intel i5-8600
  • 16G DDR4 Ram
  • Asus RX580 8G
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
  • Samsung 850 Evo 500G
  • WD 1TB Blue SSD
Checking CPUID Hardware Monitor it is showing the 12v rail at 11.808V
1607446642883.png

A friend's RX470 was doing something similar to what you are experiencing. I found a slightly newer BIOS version for the same card he has on TPU and reflashed the card's BIOS and card has been working correctly again the last few months. He was ready to replace his card as well, and now he doesn't need to. May be worth investigating.

70 Polara nice idea, i tried to find the same bios as my card but no luck. I did try to flash with an MSI variant and another Asus variant that had slightly higher clocks, but neither would boot to windows for some reason. Was able to get into safe mode though and reflash back which is weird.

Sadly same issue.

I would look for a 1070/1080 used IMO

Hell if things were not so stupid I would sell you my 1070ti and grab a 3060TI
Vengance_01 All day today searching on facebook market place and kijiji (local ebay) and sadly seems people are still asking $500 for 1080Ti's and most 1070's are $300 plus. I did find one 1070 for $250 and offered them $200 but they probably wont take it :( There was also one guy selling a 1080 Ti for $330 CAD..and I missed it, that would of held me over fine for some time.

Vengance_01 All day today searching on facebook market place and kijiji (local ebay) and sadly seems people are still asking $500 for 1080Ti's and most 1070's are $300 plus. I did find one 1070 for $250 and offered them $200 but they probably wont take it :( There was also one guy selling a 1080 Ti for $330 CAD..and I missed it, that would of held me over fine for some time.
I feel for you. Sadly the whole gpu market is screwed from top to bottom

6800 - $940 CAD
6800 XT - $1,069 CAD
3080 - $1000 ish CAD (corrected)

The AMD site had the 6800XT in my cart for $827 + tax. I never managed to get to full checkout, but that's what they sell for.
Where are you seeing any 3080's for $1000 CAD?

Back