So, My RX580 basically died....would i be stupid to get....

You could buy an EVGA card, say a 1660s or something and do the "Step up" plan they offer, will give you a few months a lesser card and eventually you'll get the card you want.

Well, i managed to get a PowerColor RX 580 *GB Red Dragon for $180 CAD from a girl, bought in June from Amazon, so almost new. After spending all night yesterday looking at trying to bargain with people over 1070's - which everyone thinks are worth $300-$500 it seems.....i came across the 580 this morning 4hr after it being posted.

Got it installed and everything is smooth as butter. The only down side, man those fans rev up LOUD! I was so used to my 2 x 120mm fans on my old 580 i had modded (1 fan had died) it was near silent and kept temps very low...this thing can be like a jet taking off when temps hit 75C.
My old card.
20201206_180904.jpg

Last edited:
k so this PowerColor RX580 runs dam hot! fans @ 100%, case open, room only like 20c , hitting 80-85C...

So modded the shroud and put on my 2 x120mm fans i had on my old card that kept it at 70C max, and this card still hitting 84c playing world of tanks....like wtf!

Using the volage mV in the Adren. control panel does it actually do anything? I down clocked it to 1320 from 1350 and put the Volateg to 1110 vs 1140 is used to be on State 7

Last edited:
Well, i managed to get a PowerColor RX 580 *GB Red Dragon for $180 CAD from a girl, bought in June from Amazon, so almost new. After spending all night yesterday looking at trying to bargain with people over 1070's - which everyone thinks are worth $300-$500 it seems.....i came across the 580 this morning 4hr after it being posted.

Got it installed and everything is smooth as butter. The only down side, man those fans rev up LOUD! I was so used to my 2 x 120mm fans on my old 580 i had modded (1 fan had died) it was near silent and kept temps very low...this thing can be like a jet taking off when temps hit 75C.
My old card.
View attachment 307463
That's the Idea...

Now get these
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-a12x25-5v-pwm/p/1YF-000T-000M4?Description=Noctua 120mm fan&cm_re=Noctua_120mm fan-_-1YF-000T-000M4-_-Product

I have 2 of them on my NHD15, they are quiet. The best 120mm fans money can buy. You better believe that :wideyed:

Last edited:
Where are you finding a 2080 Ti for 700 Cnd... that’s a pretty good deal if it checks out. Seems suspicious though considering all the ones on the Toronto area are selling for 1000+

k so this PowerColor RX580 runs dam hot! fans @ 100%, case open, room only like 20c , hitting 80-85C...

So modded the shroud and put on my 2 x120mm fans i had on my old card that kept it at 70C max, and this card still hitting 84c playing world of tanks....like wtf!

Using the volage mV in the Adren. control panel does it actually do anything? I down clocked it to 1320 from 1350 and put the Volateg to 1110 vs 1140 is used to be on State 7
Don't forget to experiment with a custom fan curve in Afterburner for gaming, then an undervolted whisper fan setup when you're just idling.

Krenum I did not, i mounted them via the shroud as i didnt have decent zip ties that may melt seeing how hot it is getting. Even with the stock fans at 100% before it would hit that hot. I opened the case, put another 120mm blowing from the back just to test, but still....I was reading some people said PowerColor's do run hot compared to other AIBs...

I could see if I can find a way to mount the fans direct, just the way they made the shroud mount, it is 2 metal bracket that are seriously glued down to the heatsink

Krenum I did not, i mounted them via the shroud as i didnt have decent zip ties that may melt seeing how hot it is getting. Even with the stock fans at 100% before it would hit that hot. I opened the case, put another 120mm blowing from the back just to test, but still....I was reading some people said PowerColor's do run hot compared to other AIBs...

I could see if I can find a way to mount the fans direct, just the way they made the shroud mount, it is 2 metal bracket that are seriously glued down to the heatsink
Do you have the Red Devil? I have the same one in my dad's computer. He plays WOW Shadowlands at 1440p and I never see it get above 74c, although, it is loud even with a custom fan curve set in afterburner.

See if you can take that shroud off and find a way to directly mount the fans to the Heatsink, possibly routing the ties through the underside of the silver heatsink. I would imagine they wouldn't melt if air is being blown on them. or, you could use metal wire, just make sure it never touches the PCB.

Another idea is to use Silicone Zip Ties, Silicone can withstand exceptional amounts of heat
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=silicone...648989&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_54majz0pqm_e

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It might need new thermal paste. I have 5x Red Dragon/Red Devil cards, they all ran well and cool

Krenum, Sorry, I have the PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8G. I tried custom fan profiles, but ya, jet engine once i was above 75c. I will have to try that then, get the shroud out of the way and likely screwing with the air flow.

thebufenator Could be, while the card is new as of June, who knows when it was actually made and how long it has sat on a shelf for right.

Kraken g12 bracket, mini pwm to pwm cable to run the bracket fan off the gpu header, 120mm aio will cool it down.

Well, i removed everything,m applied some AS5, removed the shroud, did a hack job wire job using some picture frame wiring, mounted the 2 x 120mm fans direct which basically touch the heat sink now, and highest temp I have seen is 75c, so a high end drop of 10c on temps and practically silent, far better than it was.

Now this GPU i saw, has a switch, which is apparently used for max OC or quiter OC..so wonder if it was on..lol!

I debated taking the back plate off, it makes no contact with anything and Powercolor says it is to stop card bend, but for how hot it gets, it may be better taken off so direct air flow can go over the stuff on the back.

Attachments

• 20201211_215346.jpg
    20201211_215346.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201211_220124.jpg
    20201211_220124.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201211_220146.jpg
    20201211_220146.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201211_220505.jpg
    20201211_220505.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201211_222531.jpg
    20201211_222531.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201211_222524.jpg
    20201211_222524.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201211_223512.jpg
    20201211_223512.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201211_224040.jpg
    20201211_224040.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
FLick the switch on the card and now max temp I have hiot is 65C but also put the voltage mV down to 1050 max, where before it was 1150...

Spoke too soon I guess, Apex Legends, up to 84C at times, thought i had good case air flow but apparently not, with one side panel off i stay around 75c, time to check my fans and flow

Last edited:
Hey all,

My RX580 I have had for sometime is now crashing under any type of load. I have done clean Win installs, used drivers as far back as May 2020, tweaked power, underclocked, you name it, crashes and burns. It started doing this once in a blue moon a couple months ago and I shrugged it off, but now i cant do anything. This card was bought used like 3 years ago so may of been used and abused before me.

I was really hoping to get a 3070, then news of the 6800 series came out and that looked good.

However as we know inventory is non existent and so I am wondering if buying one of these used cards would be silly right now if the price was right, thinking that I can no longer wait until Feb/March and hope for inventory like I was planning before.

This is in Canada, looking at 2080 Super's they retail for $1,100 new still but found some of these. $700 seems too high for what I would want to pay for a used card and knowing that 2080 prices are higher due to no 3000 / 6800 inventory...

• EVGA RTX 2080 Super - $700 CAD Used (bought 6 months ago) Still has 2 year warranty with store - Maybe they would take $600?
  • RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX GAMING OC - $580 CAD Used / retail box included with Accessories.
  • RTX 2080 Ti EVGA FTW 3 - $700 CAD
  • RTX 2080 Super MSI GAMING X TRIO - $550 CAD - Used / retail box included with Accessories

Thoughts?

New 1660 Ti's go for $400, if you can find them in stock, 2060's are all out of stock at are at the $500 mark new. 5600XT start at $440 new but are also out of stock..
Subscribe to Geforce Now until prices and availability improve. You'll be able to play all your games on steam, origin, Uplay, Epic etc. There's a little input delay, but otherwise it's a perfectly viable solution. I actually think this use case is the PERFECT application of cloud gaming.

Hey all,

My RX580 I have had for sometime is now crashing under any type of load. I have done clean Win installs, used drivers as far back as May 2020, tweaked power, underclocked, you name it, crashes and burns. It started doing this once in a blue moon a couple months ago and I shrugged it off, but now i cant do anything. This card was bought used like 3 years ago so may of been used and abused before me.

I was really hoping to get a 3070, then news of the 6800 series came out and that looked good.

However as we know inventory is non existent and so I am wondering if buying one of these used cards would be silly right now if the price was right, thinking that I can no longer wait until Feb/March and hope for inventory like I was planning before.

This is in Canada, looking at 2080 Super's they retail for $1,100 new still but found some of these. $700 seems too high for what I would want to pay for a used card and knowing that 2080 prices are higher due to no 3000 / 6800 inventory...

• EVGA RTX 2080 Super - $700 CAD Used (bought 6 months ago) Still has 2 year warranty with store - Maybe they would take $600?
  • RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX GAMING OC - $580 CAD Used / retail box included with Accessories.
  • RTX 2080 Ti EVGA FTW 3 - $700 CAD
  • RTX 2080 Super MSI GAMING X TRIO - $550 CAD - Used / retail box included with Accessories

Thoughts?

New 1660 Ti's go for $400, if you can find them in stock, 2060's are all out of stock at are at the $500 mark new. 5600XT start at $440 new but are also out of stock..
The used 2080 Super seems like a pretty decent value if you can't get your hands on an MSRP 3060 Ti.

The overall performance should be on par, with a bit of an edge in rasterization to the 2080S and probably an edge to ray tracing to the 3060Ti.

Well, i removed everything,m applied some AS5, removed the shroud, did a hack job wire job using some picture frame wiring, mounted the 2 x 120mm fans direct which basically touch the heat sink now, and highest temp I have seen is 75c, so a high end drop of 10c on temps and practically silent, far better than it was.

Now this GPU i saw, has a switch, which is apparently used for max OC or quiter OC..so wonder if it was on..lol!

I debated taking the back plate off, it makes no contact with anything and Powercolor says it is to stop card bend, but for how hot it gets, it may be better taken off so direct air flow can go over the stuff on the back.
Awesome!

Man, that is very clever. I didn't think of picture frame wire. Genius!

I wasn't sure, but where it wraps around the heatsink it is not making any contact with the PCB so doing well so far, and doesnt get warm to the touch even so fans are doing there job. Now i am wondering if i need a new case....or do i need some Noc fans. I have a 240mm in the front and had a 120MM on the back , corsair ones, good air flow, but just seems like the heat does not leave the case :(

I wasn't sure, but where it wraps around the heatsink it is not making any contact with the PCB so doing well so far, and doesnt get warm to the touch even so fans are doing there job. Now i am wondering if i need a new case....or do i need some Noc fans. I have a 240mm in the front and had a 120MM on the back , corsair ones, good air flow, but just seems like the heat does not leave the case :(
You have a 240 radiator in the front? That could be your issue. You may be starving the GPU of fresh air and just circulating warm air from inside the case around the graphics card. The Red Devil card I was using the RX 580 always had fresh air being drawn in from the front of the case x2 140mm fans. I don't recall ever seeing it rise above 74c at full load with a moderately aggressive fan curve. At the time I was running it in a Fractal Design Meshify C case.

Keep in mind that Polaris does run hot / warm to begin with. Its the same GPU that was based on the RX 480. And the RX400 series ran hot.

If you can swing it, I would opt for another case that uses an open mesh design and put your 240 at the top of the case, like the Meshify C or the Obsidian Airflow case or if you can find one on the cheap an Coolermaster Mastercase MC500 or Pro 5 (Which I'm currently using) all of which have great airflow. Stay away from cases that have a solid front panel, even the ones with solid fronts but vertical cutouts on the sides. They look pretty but offer no utilitarian purpose.

Last edited:
Antec P6 is the case i have, no rad, no WC, just air. and the 240mm on the front. It could be the limited front slots this case uses, even though i can feel the cool air being pulled through, perhaps not enough.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antec-p6-micro-atx-case-black-window-ca-24s-an.html
That's a pretty nice case. You know what I would do? If you're into modding, is cut away most of the front and replace it with some modder's mesh to maximize the airflow. Maybe a bit extreme but might be a fun project if youre into modding.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_...is=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&rmvSB=true&_fosrp=1

https://www.mnpctech.com/products/round-modders-mesh

I do really like that case though. If not for the solid front. Here is the one I'm using. CM MasterCase Pro 5. I don't think its sold so well, but I love it. Its pretty hard to find for retail price now days.

0000610_mastercase-pro-5_625.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8Gb that's was bought 2018 still going .. I used this case because the mobo is upside down and video card is at the top with 2 x 120mm fans blowing down on the video card fans .. it has a MSI B350m Gaming Pro board with Ryzen 5 1600 AF with 32Gb of DDR4 at 3333Mhz powered by Corsair CX 650M .

My case is Red RAIJINTEK STYX BLUE, Alu Micro-ATX Case, Compatible With Regular ATX Power Supply, Max. 280mm VGA Card, 180mm CPU Cooler, Max. 240mm Radiator Cooling On Top With A Drive Bay For Slim DVD On Side - Newegg.com

Krenum I mean it would just involve removing the very front flat part really, then finding a way to bend the mesh to fit nicely in that...mmmmm, maybe a holiday project to keep me busy!

I have a Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8Gb that's was bought 2018 still going .. I used this case because the mobo is upside down and video card is at the top with 2 x 120mm fans blowing down on the video card fans .. it has a MSI B350m Gaming Pro board with Ryzen 5 1600 AF with 32Gb of DDR4 at 3333Mhz powered by Corsair CX 650M .

My case is Red RAIJINTEK STYX BLUE, Alu Micro-ATX Case, Compatible With Regular ATX Power Supply, Max. 280mm VGA Card, 180mm CPU Cooler, Max. 240mm Radiator Cooling On Top With A Drive Bay For Slim DVD On Side - Newegg.com
Well damn, I like this case too! Ya'll trying to make me spend money! That's going in the bookmark.

I did not use a dvd drive .. as I wanted to turn the power supply fan that way to trap it's own air from the top fans , It runs 4 x 120mm fans / Cpu fan / Power Supply fan / Gpu fans .. also my ref blower RX 5700 fits in this case if anyone needed to know that as I may move my MSI B550m Mortar / 3700x / RX 5700 over to one of these cases and thinking of using Gold this time .

Back