So, my girlfriend...

NobleX13

Supreme [H]ardness
Unplugged my new 2P G34 rig in a fit of rage! We had a minor argument over the phone as I was heading home from Lowes after work yesterday (trying to score on that .86c/box peel-and-stick vinyl tile deal), and when I came home she had ripped the power strip powering my folding rig and some other stuff out of the wall. She said she did this "because it was making noise", and "she couldn't figure out how to shut it off"...

Oh, woman, you try my patience. First you don't let me buy a 14,000 house because it's in "a bad part of town", and now this. The bad part of Omaha is like the good part of NYC, ATL, or CHI...

:mad:

I think she borked a work unit, because when I restarted it it was back at 3% in HFM and it should have completed at least one by now... :(

I'm also only getting ~50K PPD on a 6903. What gives?

She better have some positives because she seems to be messing with your life in not so positive ways.

How easy would it be to find a replacement? Upgrade even?

She better have some positives because she seems to be messing with your life in not so positive ways.

How easy would it be to find a replacement? Upgrade even?

Good girls are hard to find now-a-days. Instead of replacing, I'd hang on to the one you've got and extend a little grace (a.k.a. twist locking electrical plugs on your gear).... haha

Easy to find a replacement? Not very. We've been together for 4+ years and I don't think I could run her off even if I decided to. We did make up yesterday but that won't get my PPD back...

I do contemplate an upgrade some days, but am not sure if I could pull that off. Speaking of that housing situation; I would love to purchase an inexpensive home (the market is full of them if you don't mind being close to downtown) and fixing it up. I am quite handy and the mortgage on such a cheap house is <$200 a month, with insurance and taxes.

Anyone else have any suggestions? You can comment on the woman problem or the PPD one; I don't care.

I'm a softie and have never run anyone off in my life. I'm that guy. I've got a pic of my not-entirely ugly mug along with hers, if you want.

Easy to find a replacement? Not very. We've been together for 4+ years and I don't think I could run her off even if I decided to. We did make up yesterday but that won't get my PPD back...

I do contemplate an upgrade some days, but am not sure if I could pull that off. Speaking of that housing situation; I would love to purchase an inexpensive home (the market is full of them if you don't mind being close to downtown) and fixing it up. I am quite handy and the mortgage on such a cheap house is <$200 a month, with insurance and taxes.

Anyone else have any suggestions? You can comment on the woman problem or the PPD one; I don't care.

I'm a softie and have never run anyone off in my life. I'm that guy. I've got a pic of my not-entirely ugly mug along with hers, if you want.
this is the internet right? Pics or gtfo

Buy the house yo. As long as the neighborhood and/or the USA doesn't totally tank, buying a cheap house and fixing it yourself is a good investment.

Unplugged my new 2P G34 rig in a fit of rage! We had a minor argument over the phone as I was heading home from Lowes after work yesterday (trying to score on that .86c/box peel-and-stick vinyl tile deal), and when I came home she had ripped the power strip powering my folding rig and some other stuff out of the wall. She said she did this "because it was making noise", and "she couldn't figure out how to shut it off"...

Oh, woman, you try my patience. First you don't let me buy a 14,000 house because it's in "a bad part of town", and now this. The bad part of Omaha is like the good part of NYC, ATL, or CHI...

wow. I would not be tolerating that shit. my wife knows to stay away from the gear

Eh, not that big a deal. As long as nothing's broken (no I don't count work units), and you've made up, I'd forgive and forget along with some mild admonishment not to do that in the future cause it could break something... which would mean spending more money on computer shit. ;) That'll get her to leave it alone.

Eh, not that big a deal. As long as nothing's broken (no I don't count work units), and you've made up, I'd forgive and forget along with some mild admonishment not to do that in the future cause it could break something... which would mean spending more money on computer shit. ;) That'll get her to leave it alone.
silent-circuit is obviously a pro

I would definitely warn that doing so again could hurt hardware and make you have to spend more on a replacement, should put an end to that.

My SO called me when I was out of town last week because we had had a freak hot day and she came home to a sweltering apartment. After several minutes of negotiations it became clear I wasn't going to get out of this without letting her shut off Double D given he was sprawled out on the table and already an issue of contention. Walking her through the client and system shutdown process was disheartening, knowing that the WU would languish for days before I could turn it back on. :/

you could always guilt trip her and say that the WU she screwed up could of been the cure to brain cancer and now no one will find it for another 5 more years.. :p

but if it was me i'd of kicked her ass to the curb.. one rule everyone knows when they walk into my house.. you touch my computers your ass is on the street or walking home..

and yes before anyone says it, i'm an asshole and i don't care. people are cheap to replace.. computers are not, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Sometimes, when my wife and I have a fight, she'll threaten to take my softball bat to my equipment. That's usually about the time I buy her flowers and give her an impromptu foot rub.

4270438511_40e5b98c3d_z.jpg

this is the internet right? Pics or gtfo

Buy the house yo. As long as the neighborhood and/or the USA doesn't totally tank, buying a cheap house and fixing it yourself is a good investment.

I'm thinking about it; she can deal with it.

your not in gen may are you......pic or gtfo....
roger that
wow. I would not be tolerating that shit. my wife knows to stay away from the gear
I wish I could run that tight of a ship with her. :rolleyes:
That's what I was thinking, but at the same time, I really want this house!
sounds like she needs to have her firmware flashed
Too bad her eeprom is read-only.
Some port hotswapping might clear up the issue...
I wish...
Only 50K on 6903? 8 modules loaded?

Nope only four modules. I might have forgot to enable something in the BIOS.

haha my gf would never do that thank god. i fuck up my computers good enough by myself, dont need someone else adding their issues. get a new gf is my opinion, but we havent seen pics yet...

i think your gf is actually right. no reason to spend 14k on a very mediocre house (unless youre pretty tight on money right now). i would go for like 50k and get something 4x as nice. :)

i think your gf is actually right. no reason to spend 14k on a very mediocre house (unless youre pretty tight on money right now). i would go for like 50k and get something 4x as nice. :)

I wasn't dead-set on that particular one, I'm just saying that there are so many cheap homes around town that I would like to buy one. I am really bad at saving, but I'm working on it.

You should tell her to make you sammich while you contemplate if she gets thrown out..

Agreed, it has a lot of potential.. needs updating but has a lot of potential for only 14K.
Seriously!

$14,000 home? thats less than 2 years of rent (without utilities) where i'm living. jeez, even if you burned it down after 2 years it'd be cheaper

That house would be worth $100k+ out in the bay area of Cali.

400k+ here in hawaii. :rolleyes: ridiculous. but yeah, if thats what your budget is, its a lot of house for the money. personally i think it would be worth it to invest a little more in a slightly nicer house if you plan on staying there a while. if you cant pay more, or arent staying long, thats a steal.

Seriously!

$14,000 home? thats less than 2 years of rent (without utilities) where i'm living. jeez, even if you burned it down after 2 years it'd be cheaper

Yeah, I know, right? And we have homeowner's insurance for that! I wanted to buy it, pour ~10K into it, and resell it. I pay 575/month in rent currently, so the savings would be nice.

Wow your cost of living is low! I agree with others though, set your target on a house nice enough that you wouldn't mind living in it as is. This will take the pressure off of renovations and likely still save you cash relative to renting.

There is an extreme difference in price between this part of town and the western part. Out west, a home this size would cost $100k+. People believe that crime is magically less out there, but it's simply not true. Thanks for the advice guys; I will keep her, for now.

pour ~10K into it
If you really are "quite handy", then you probably know how much of a pipe dream that is. Guaranteed as soon as you start fixing one thing, another problem will pop up, then another, then another. Before you know it, you'll have blown through at least double your budget on addressing need-to-fix stuff before you can even think about any of the adding-value stuff.

Ever see that movie The Money Pit?

Spoken like a true pessimist.

Back