So my boss has this really odd scanner request (network scanner).

El Nacho

Noobie Cheese
So my boss just grabed me and start asking me about sanners. He has a really odd request for a type of scanner I've never heard of. He wants to be able to scan a document to a server over ethernet. He also wants to be able to name the document what ever he wants from ever he wants from the scanner. Does this even exist?

Isn't this impractical? How is he going to feed the document remotely? There are scanners that will scan multiple documents ... even a whole book ... but somebody has to be there to load it manually. Unless he'll hire somebody to sit in front of the scanner and wait for his/her call to load the document he wants, ... but then why not have the person scan it for him ... then send the document ... :confused:

yeah, it's possible.

We have a Lanier 2138 in house where I work.

It's a color copier, printer, scanner, coffee maker, and George Foreman Grill all in one.

It can scan anything and dump it to the network.
It needs a "server" pc to handle the files and network interaction.

But I am pretty sure we paid over 12 g's for this thing.

Your best bet may be to get a low end PC and hook a scanner to it and have it dump your scans to a shared network location.

Yep, this is possible. We have a Ricoh Aficio 1022 in our office. Scan's, Prints, Copies, Faxes, Sorts, Staples, and makes coffee over the network. The cost might be a little high, $22,000, but you can lease them for a couple hundered per month.

www.ricoh.com

thanks for the replies. Cost really isnt a factor. Its a big company and they want to get rid of as much paper as posible. The scanner will be on the other side of the lot (good 5, 10 min walk) in shipping/accounting the all bills will get scaned in so my boss can look at them and keep a data base of them. Scan to file would be the best, but from what i've seen scan to email will have to do. We also dont want a pc with it because of the cost. We are pretty much not useing pc's anymore (just thin terminals) because of the upkeep cost...about 12 to 15 thousand a year. What about this hp? Any body have any experience?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15179-64175-64404-12126-64404-25324.html

EDIT: I only really need a scanner. The other stuff would go to waste.

I was actually going to suggest you look at the HP9100c scanner, good job finding it! We use those HP's here at my work and they do work very well for network scanning purposes. They support email but we scan straight to PDF file and the files are then sent to the users machine via HP's client utility. If you have any questions about it LMK.

when you say the clients machine....is the scanner hooked up to the machine or is it some where on the network? How does the scanner name the files and do you have any control over it before it gets sent? any problems with it? Thanks for the help

Back