So many 1440p screens to choose from :(

FRZ

2[H]4U
I am set to replace my trusty 1080p syncmaster with a nice 1440p monitor. I am looking to spend around $500-$600 so a nice dell is probably out of my range. I saw Overlord was accepting preorders for the OC model of their new screen, but it would cost me $630 and I dont really plan on running 120hz as I dont even really understand it. Plus I would have to wait 8 weeks :( Could anyone recommend me a a good 27" screen? My only concern is that it be reliable and have great black levels. :p any help much appreciated

Forgot to write ill be gaming mostly on this screen, and the usual web browsing word processing ect

If you are patient, you might be able to get the Dell U2713HM for just over $600. It was recently going for $630 through Dell Canada.

If you are patient, you might be able to get the Dell U2713HM for just over $600. It was recently going for $630 through Dell Canada.

would that be a superior option to the catleaps and such?

The cheap, Korean 2560x1440 monitors have sub-500 post-calibration contrast ratios. If all you care about is the resolution, then go for one; otherwise, buy something like the Dell mentioned above.

The cheap, Korean 2560x1440 monitors have sub-500 post-calibration contrast ratios. If all you care about is the resolution, then go for one; otherwise, buy something like the Dell mentioned above.

Ive never tinkered with my monitors so I guess it doesnt matter much. Are the $400 microcenter monoprice 27" 1440p screens just as good as lets say the catleaps and crossovers on ebay? Really like the return policy especially for a screen with sooo many pixels lol :p

I had the Auria from Micro Center...it was awesome, the only issue I had was that a OCed 2B PCB wouldn't fit otherwise I would have kept it.

Oh and they are only $399

Somehow I see it otherwise, but maybe because I am looking for IPS 1440p and 120hz...

I'm quite pleased with my Auria. But, I also have to admit I likely was able to get one of the last glossy units in January. My father ended up with one of the newer ones with AG coating and while it is still a great monitor, it's not as great as the glossy units. His primary complaint is that it takes a long time to warm up apparently, something that the glossy screens don't have to deal with being LED backlit. And, after having had this for three months, I can safely say I'll never go back to a screen with AG coating. Reflections simply aren't an issue and the image is just so much clearer than with AG coating. I honestly thought I would regret it but it has been a completely opposite experience. But, that's all personal preference. I know my father likes the AG coating as his computer room has less control over the lighting situation and, as I say, after it has warmed up it's a great monitor and being able to take it back if it has dead or stuck pixels (neither of ours had them for what it's worth) is a great asset.

You do know different monitors have different circuitry?
Other reviews I have seen have quoted high ratios from korean ips(crossovers) monitors after calibration than dells.

I personally haven't noticed any poor contrast on mine after calibration. Then again that's just going off my eyes so it is a side note rather than a fact.

Edit: Though, no, I didn't just use my eyes to calibrate it in the first place. :p

Last edited:
Are the catleap crossover first ect monitors the same thing basically ? Dunno which one to get :/

*looks at calibrated Catleap*

*looks at calibrator*

Hm. I see a contrast ratio of ~800:1. I think you're mistaken about that.

FRZ, the U2713hm would be a superior option - the question is what you are looking for though. It has better build quality, better warranty & support, better useability and better image quality, but of course, costs ~$200 more.

Most of the Korean monitors are pretty similar (although CrossOvers have had a rash of PCB problems in the past few months, so I'd avoid those).

Thanks for all the input guys :)

So the image quality on the dell u2713hm would exceed all the $500-$600 Korean models ? Like I said earlier, my main concern is black levels

Also am I correct in my guess that the catleap SE model is the single input one?

Thanks for all the input guys :)

So the image quality on the dell u2713hm would exceed all the $500-$600 Korean models ? Like I said earlier, my main concern is black levels

When you say image quality, are you referring to photo editing and other tasks, or just general gaming and movie watching? If it's just general gaming, you'll probably be fine with any 27" panel.

The big disadvantage of the Korean monitors is the lack of real warranty and support. Dell isn't perfect in this regard, but it's still miles ahead of some random eBay seller. When the Korean monitors were super cheap, you warranty plan was "buy a new monitor" because 2 Korean monitors were still cheaper than 1 quality US-made monitor. Now that the gap has closed, it's not such an attractive option.

Plenty of people will swear by their 27" Korean monitors, but there are also plenty of people who have been burned by monitors failing after several months. If you can afford to take the risk, then go for it. Otherwise, stick with a Dell or similar.

Further research seems to suggest I won't get great blacks with IPS displays :( any particular IPS 1440p 27" which stands out amongst the rest when in comes to blacks?

And ya I'll be doing general gaming, I won't even be doing movies maybe a YouTube video or sports game stream at the most

Overlord seems like the best option for me , but I really dont want to wait two months :(

Decisions decisions... :/

Don't worry about black levels, as that's being racist
REAL top quality black levels won't be until affordable OLED screens as they will have no backlight at all.
That's years off though.

Asus PB278Q is all you need. It rules

/thread

Last edited:
My dilemna right now is deciding between my Auria or my Catleap SE.

I need a multi input monitor for my PS3 (they can downscale to 1080p), and after having my Catleap for almost a year now I never want to go back to another monitor. I'm still a big PC gamer, so I still have a reason to go for these 1440p monitors.

So the Catleap has better contrast ratio and since it's a single input, and a lot less input lag. But the Auria has what I need, and with a local warranty. My 1 year Catleap warranty is almost done anyways.

But I'm not that keen for comparing colors/contrast/gamma/input lag, so after playing a bit of games on each I really couldn't tell right away. I'm afraid if I sell my Catleap and keep my Auria I will start to notice it after a while.

How do they really compare in image quality? And is the input lag really that noticeable on the Auria? I really never have experienced ghosting before so when I played BF3 I just noticed lag from the regular 40-60 fps I get. It may have a felt a little weird on the Auia (I may have noticed it) but I honestly don't know what to look for so I can't say it actually did happen.

Oh, I had them both connected to my graphics card at the same time and duplicated their screens, so I don't know if that creates lag or screen tearing in itself. I'll try it individually.

Last edited:
Also if you wait and keep looking you might find a nice deal .... I got my Dell Ultrasharp from Newegg as an OpenBox item it came with everything and I paid $439.00 for it, normally it is $800.

Also I am soooo glad I did games look much more crisp with the higher resolution :)

anyone tried negotiating with the eBay Korean sellers to get a better price? I mean I can't see these prices being locked, especially with so much competition.

$387 including tax and shipping I had to jump on the monoprice screen :)

Seems like a solid choice too as it runs only on one input and doesn't have AG coating

Thanks for all your suggestions

Back