so mad at creative right now

so i bought a audigy 2 ZS for my computer and i had planned to use multichannel outputs from the card to my denon receiver to get analog surround sound.

Well, here it goes...
DSC00948.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

awwww man!!!!!!

Any solutions????

Ummm some smaller cables maybe? I bought some minijack cables at radioshack to hook up to my Yamaha reciever and they fit.

yeah, you gotta get that little adapter thingy for the middle output or else it wont fit. i realized that the hard was as well! fortunately its a $5 fix and maybe a few minutes of your time to go to the store.

this is actually a question that i have had for a long time. I would even call it a very long time. My Question is if cable quality would really have a noticeable impact on the integrity of the sound signal. To be honest with you, my setup with just my front B&Ws is simply outstanding. It is the best sound i have heard from any sound setup ever. I swear to god. This soundcard with my speakers and this amp are great. I cannot hear any noise whatsoever. I would just not to ruin any signal quality. I suppose radioshack cables wouldn't hurt to try though since they are all so inexpensive and some are gold there too.

Yeah the quatily is fine... of course I don't have a golden ear like some people around. But the Radio Shack cables have always done me fine.

Hurrrrrr monster cable.

Damn Creative for not accepting my overpriced cables! :mad:

Duck-BOT said:
Hurrrrrr monster cable.

Damn Creative for not accepting my overpriced cables! :mad:

Bahahaha. More like damn Creative for not thinking anyone would EVER hook a PC up to a reciever. But hey, that's way down on the list of reasons to damn Creative. The top of course is for f*cking sitting on technology and refusing to develop it. After they annihilated the companies that WERE developing it and stole it from them.

Acoustic Research, cost 1/3 as much as monster

btw, i picked up 2 different radio shack cables and both degrade the quality noticably so now i am going to grind down one of my 20 dollar cables so that it will fit...

Yeah, those $5 adapters will pretty much negate those big ol' overpriced cables...a chain is only as strong as its weakest link...If you can hear the difference, as i usually do, then you gotta buy the version that fits...time for 1 more cable!

Seraphim974 said:
Acoustic Research, cost 1/3 as much as monster

btw, i picked up 2 different radio shack cables and both degrade the quality noticably so now i am going to grind down one of my 20 dollar cables so that it will fit...
Acoustic Research cables are really nice for being widely available in chain stores. I'd buy them over monster cable pretty much any day.

I've had the same experience with Radio Shack cables too. Never been too thrilled with their connection hardware (the cables themselves are fine).

Funny cause I my feelings about Radio Sack products are just the oppisite.
Any of their products that has a cable or wire = crap.
The hard splitters and or inline adapters are pretty decent though.

Mister X said:

That just means that they work for most people, but don't work for you X. It's because you're special :)

(I mean that in a good way, as in that's the reason you'r a mod now, :))

Consider the second part a good thing.
Oh, how I miss flaming people sometimes.
lol

Mister X said:
I've never had a splitter or adapter from RS that wasn't flakey. I don't love their cable, but it does work, at least in my experience.

so now my problem is how to do this. i doubt that monster or AR makes a cable that has a plug this small (One cord that i bought at radioshack that just barely works is one of those 90 degree headphone plugs) So i need something that small. i have the tools to grind one of my cables down but i don't know how far i am able to grind it down.

As I recall, isint Monster a parent company to AR? I been using AR cables for the last couple years with great success (And if you werk at BB, you can get them VERY cheap).

You just want a 1/8th to RCA Y splitter with a small 1/8th jack, right?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-135

You will need male to female RCA adapters on those if the run is longer than 5 ft. Rat Shack sells 2 of those for like a buck.

Or three of these, sideways.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-294

Oh, and I think it's time we all start a company that makes soundcards designed to be hooked up to receivers or pre/pros. The only semi-reasonable sound card I've ever owned is the Game Theater XP 7.1. and that's only becuase the breakout box had all 6 multichannel analog RCA outputs that hooked right into the back of my pre-amp, of course that still means I need splitters if I want to use that AMP with my SACD/DVD-A player. I am downright sick and f*cking tired of all this Y-splitter-1/8th-inch-to-female-RCA-no-DD-encoding-hook-your computer-up-to-some-lame-multimedia-pile-of-ass-speaker-bullshit. Someone (M-Audio, I am talking to you) needs to make a soundcard that encodes DD and DTS so we can just use the flippin' digital coax and optical outs.

Yes, I am pissed about this. :)

JackieO said:
The only semi-reasonable sound card I've ever owned is the Game Theater XP 7.1. and that's only becuase the breakout box had all 6 multichannel analog RCA outputs that hooked right into the back of my pre-amp, of course that still means I need splitters if I want to use that AMP with my SACD/DVD-A player. I am downright sick and f*cking tired of all this Y-splitter-1/8th-inch-to-female-RCA-no-DD-encoding-hook-your computer-up-to-some-lame-multimedia-pile-of-ass-speaker-bullshit. Someone (M-Audio, I am talking to you) needs to make a soundcard that encodes DD and DTS so we can just use the flippin' digital coax and optical outs.

Yes, I am pissed about this. :)
Damn Im surprized anyone else used a GTXP... I used the original GTXP for years. Herc needs waaaay better driver support, but damn that breakout box ruled.

DD and DTS would in general be a step down in audio quality; thus there is no point. 32bit/192khz on 8 channels (Azalia/Intel HD Audio or something) blows away anything out there that runs over spdif I believe (input corrections if necessary please), or at least that I've seen so far. I guess what we really need is for recievers to start coming universally with firewire, so that we can just load a quick driver on our PC's and beam perfect audio right over. Best solution I can think of anyway.

Why is it that everyone else seems to have a nice receiver and speakers with a soundcard hooked up to all of it and I am sitting here on my (small in my opinion) klipsch 4.1s...:(

Rune75 said:
Damn Im surprized anyone else used a GTXP... I used the original GTXP for years. Herc needs waaaay better driver support, but damn that breakout box ruled.

I still use it. I love the thing, I won't switch until we have multichannel games through spdif or coax.

IdiotInCharge said:
DD and DTS would in general be a step down in audio quality; thus there is no point. 32bit/192khz on 8 channels (Azalia/Intel HD Audio or something) blows away anything out there that runs over spdif I believe (input corrections if necessary please), or at least that I've seen so far. I guess what we really need is for recievers to start coming universally with firewire, so that we can just load a quick driver on our PC's and beam perfect audio right over. Best solution I can think of anyway.

Ya but that's less likely since soundstorm is already doing dd over spdif. I want something now, and firewire isn't going to happen now. I totally understand your point about quality, I'm a purist in every sense (more than I should be for sure), but I honestly don't care if a games sounds are 192 or 128 or even 64, there is almost no way you'll be able to tell the difference. On the other hand when I have to use my multichannel ins to get 5.1 games I forego my SACD player where I actually CAN tell the difference. :)

I got three of these and shaved the sides of the plastic body of the mini-plug with a razor blade. There was like 1/4" of just cosmetic LDPE, and it was pretty easy to cut. Now I can fit all three in the backplate of my Revo.

Thanks for the link GMC, just got 3 myself. If I had known such things were so cheap, would have ordered long ago.... now it's time to go play with that mostly-dormant HTPC :)

IdiotInCharge said:
Thanks for the link GMC, just got 3 myself. If I had known such things were so cheap, would have ordered long ago.... now it's time to go play with that mostly-dormant HTPC :)

Careful. They're only 3' long. The shipping is also a bit much. I tend to order quite a bit when I make a purchase there.

GodsMadClown said:
Careful. They're only 3' long. The shipping is also a bit much. I tend to order quite a bit when I make a purchase there.

Yes, but I can't find anything better that's also longer; not that 3' will be much of a problem due to the PC being right there. It's an eyesore anyway; until I choose to afford something that sits on top of hte reciever, it'll just have to be a tight fit.

Ah, gotchya - definitely a no-no if you've got dirty power issues. I think in that case I'd probably re-terminate my own cables as was mentioned earlier in the thread, unless you can manage to get the comp within 3ft of the pre/pro.

Back