So... looks like the PC isn't getting the new CoD 4 map pack?

Roufuss

Gawd
Gotta say, pretty disappointed if it's true.

Here is some info on the new maps:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/callofduty4modernwarfare/news.html?sid=6187656

But interestingly, Infinity Ward hasn't decided how the maps will be distributed on the PC, where players are much more expectant of postrelease bonus content being released for free

And now I found this from Gamespy:

It's not yet known if one platform will get the DLC before the other, but we did learn that there are currently no plans to bring the content to the PC

I'm just taking a guess here, but I'd say that they'll probably distribute it for free on PCs some time after it's released for purchase on consoles(due to Sony and MS demanding payment for distribution on their networks). Probably can't announce that it'll be free on PC due to backlash from Sony and MS.

Since they already have the maps for PC but no way to charge for them on PC, it makes fiscal sense to just make it free to entice more PC sales since it increases the value of their PC product. No sense having the maps and sitting on them after putting in the investment of developing them. But they aren't in business alone and need to keep partners happy with a delayed release.

I'm just taking a guess here, but I'd say that they'll probably distribute it for free on PCs some time after it's released for purchase on consoles(due to Sony and MS demanding payment for distribution on their networks). Probably can't announce that it'll be free on PC due to backlash from Sony and MS.

Since they already have the maps for PC but no way to charge for them on PC, it makes fiscal sense to just make it free to entice more PC sales since it increases the value of their PC product. No sense having the maps and sitting on them after putting in the investment of developing them. But they aren't in business alone and need to keep partners happy with a delayed release.

Yup. Suppose to be 800 points on the X360.

I suppose you're right, but still, sucks to see the PC take the backseat yet again to console's... I guess we'll never live in an age where everything is equal?

There really is no reason they have to charge for them on the 360 / PS3 either, but... I guess it's too hard to pass up the easy money.

I just remember the days when 4 maps meant they were included in a patch as a bonus, not as something we paid for.

wow what a misleading CRAP thread title. it's not 100% sure pc gaming will get the map pack
(i think it will) but it's dumb to make such a misleading thread when no one has said the pc version won't get it.

dude ,,...he was asking, hence the "?" .....wasnt a statement. ....maybe he was wondering if anyone has read other wise..since the article he has read didnt mention it....

Calm down man

I did some digging, and it seems the Gamespot preview mentions this PC tidbit at the end:

But interestingly, Infinity Ward hasn't decided how the maps will be distributed on the PC, where players are much more expectant of postrelease bonus content being released for free

Would be pretty shocking if it was true, I don't think any developer has charged for maps on an FPS yet... only micro transactions I can ever think of was Bethesda with Oblivion (which I don't think worked out well on the PC).

I edited the topic title and the OP, because now it seems as though we WILL get the maps, but IW isn't sure how to distribute them... Gamespot makes it sound as if IW is trying to figure out a way to charge us for the maps as opposed to giving them away for free. Wonderfully enough, you can't change the topic title once someone has posted... this news is far more interesting than the fact we might not get the maps, now we might get the maps but have to pay!

The PC has mapping tools, unlike the console. It's kind of annoying, but really it's not *that* bad.

wow what a misleading CRAP thread title. it's not 100% sure pc gaming will get the map pack
(i think it will) but it's dumb to make such a misleading thread when no one has said the pc version won't get it.

Actually, I just found this from Gamespy:

It's not yet known if one platform will get the DLC before the other, but we did learn that there are currently no plans to bring the content to the PC

And yea, the PC has mapping tools, but 95% of the people who make maps don't make them as good as the developers. Broadcast looks like a sick map, as that was one of my favorite SP levels.

People rag on Epic all the time for going console only, but at least they still support the PC version of UT 3... this screams of IW just pulling the plug on the PC version for no reason at all. It's not about the maps so much as Infinity Ward just telling PC users to go fuck themselves at this point.

It's the fact that all I see on [H] is how they are sick of developers taking consoles over PC's, or trying to turn the PC into a console...well... this is exactly what this might turn out to be. Either the developers don't give the PC the new maps, effectively choosing the console is being better than the PC, or the developers charge us for the maps (probably through Steam so they can't be easily pirated) and it's the first step towards the PC turning into the console with micro transactions.

http://kotaku.com/5012097/nvidia-

Well they found their way to get compensated for releasing on the PC. I knew it'd happen sooner or later.

PC gets fucked over all the time now. Look at Guitar Hero 3 for the PC, even has a D/L songs section, but nothing.

Back