So look what I just bought

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Been without a good DSLR for about 2 years now, figured it was time to buy another one.

IMG_20190419_204705.jpg

IMG_20190419_204714.jpg

Took it to a friend's Son's t-ball game last weekend. Got a few decent shots.
1W8A6295 copy.jpg

1W8A6336 copy.jpg

1W8A6349 copy.jpg

1W8A6194 copy.jpg

1W8A6197 copy.jpg

1W8A6279 copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Used a 70-200mm lens to get the pics and I need to figure out a trick so the fence isn't obstructing the picture so badly. Thinking maybe if I stand back further for the "closer" shots it wont be as apparent in the picture?

Use a wider lens, shoot through the fence. A 70-200 on an APS-C camera is pretty narrow!

But you're not likely to 'remove' the fence from the equation, and going narrower (longer focal length) to shoot through the fence is likely to crop your subject too much.

Also: congrats on the new camera!

Well the problem is using a wider focal length the subject I am taking pictures of is well... doesn't take up enough "real estate" in the picture and I'd have to crop out a lot of the pixels to get the "picture frame" worthy image. If that makes any sense?

I'm thinking about asking the coach and umpire if I can just go on the other side of the fence. I mean, it's not like it's a serious game with 4 - 6 year olds playing t-ball ya know? lol

Well the problem is using a wider focal length the subject I am taking pictures of is well... doesn't take up enough "real estate" in the picture and I'd have to crop out a lot of the pixels to get the "picture frame" worthy image. If that makes any sense?

Yup. Best answer is to get on the other side of the fence. Second best is to get as close to the fence as possible; even touching it. Might not get the fence in the way at all, but also might need a wider lens for some shots.

Also, consider the 55-250 STM for daylight lower-intensity sports: I realize that there are few 'bad' 70-200 lenses (and none from Canon), but that lens really shows off the beauty of shooting on APS-C. Cheap, light, sharp, fast enough AF. Wider and longer and still capable of reasonable focus isolation. Can get refurbished from Canon with same warranty as new. Also might fit through the fence enough :).

Used a 70-200mm lens to get the pics and I need to figure out a trick so the fence isn't obstructing the picture so badly. Thinking maybe if I stand back further for the "closer" shots it wont be as apparent in the picture?
Impressive shots. I know nothing about photography and did not even notice the fence in the images until I read this.

Back