So let me get this straight. My R9 290 is worth 500 bucks?

I vote go 1080Ti

I'll have to mess with capping the FPS at 120Hz or something, just haven't tried to figure out what to do yet. But I am getting annoyed with it for sure. I've read I can set a FPS cap with a tool like Riva Tuner. Just seems I shouldn't' have to. You can also use vsync - but that is the point of Freesync or G-Sync - to get away from V-sync.

I would recommend using capping FPS using Riva Tuner, you also reduce input lag when hitting your monitor's max refresh (since you wouldn't be hitting it). it's very easy to setup and works great.

Sold my 290 Ref style cooler here on the forum for 160$ shipped. It went pretty quick. I went with an EVGA 1070ti @ msrp. Blows the 290 out of water, no throttling, no 747 fan under my desk just to keep the damn thing cool. Well worth it.

Sold my 290 Ref style cooler here on the forum for 160$ shipped. It went pretty quick. I went with an EVGA 1070ti @ msrp. Blows the 290 out of water, no throttling, no 747 fan under my desk just to keep the damn thing cool. Well worth it.

Serious question - did your colors or display look different. More muted, less sharp, anything? Thats my biggest concern going back to team green. Maybe its in my head but Ive always felt like AMD looked better.

Is 600usd for a 1070ti new or 633 for a used 1080 a good deal considering the miner fucked market? Just curious.

Last edited:
Spend the extra $100 on a 1080ti
Hmmm ok, issue is they are bit more expensive here. I can get v64 and 1080ti new for 870. They almost never come up used.. still worth it? They've been this much since launch, v64 dropped closer to 750 after a few months when they 'sucked'. I'm in a very green/blue leaning country lol. Hear Vegas can do some pretty profitable stuff. This would be for screwing around mining/long term hold and gaming.
Have a perfectly good and lightly used 290x dcu2 that hasn't been mined with yet which I'd be willing to ebay. Warranty finished half a year ago or so.

Last edited:
I’m really not understanding why people are paying so much for nVidia cards when you can buy the FE off the nVidia website at MSRP. Yes, you get fucked by paying extra for the FE but you’re not getting fleeced by even higher prices retail.

You don’t have the same option with RTG cards, unfortunately.

Serious question - did your colors or display look different. More muted, less sharp, anything? Thats my biggest concern going back to team green. Maybe its in my head but Ive always felt like AMD looked better.
to be honest I did not notice any difference. I agree back in the day they had an edge bit not anymore.

If you cant beat em ... join em.

Im officially a miner. I dont make enough money to not try and make extra where I can. Zcash seems like I could do OK.

I’m really not understanding why people are paying so much for nVidia cards when you can buy the FE off the nVidia website at MSRP. Yes, you get fucked by paying extra for the FE but you’re not getting fleeced by even higher prices retail.

You don’t have the same option with RTG cards, unfortunately.

Simple. The 1060, 1070, 1070TI, 1080, and 1080Ti are all out of stock.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/

The only cards in stock are the Star Wars models for $1138, or the standard Titan Xp for $1200.

I'd ship out you R9 290 for $500 and just throw in something to tide you over until stock comes back. I sold my 290X for $300 last time the mining craze hit. In the down cycle, I bought a GTX1070 for $380, used it for 6 months, then sold it last week for $525. I figure I can live with my old HD7950 for a month or two until I find a replacement.

I got lucky and snagged a FE gtx1060 from NVIDIA for msrp last week. I consider myself lucky to get one at msrp. I was looking at 1050tis and they are mostly sold out with the few that are in stock are at 250-275. That shit is fucking insane. I can buy a gtx1050ti for $250 or buy a xbox one for $200 or a ps4 pro for $350. Gonna be hard to get more pc gamers with prices like this.

Tired of driver issues. I updated to the latest drivers when they came out a week or 2 ago and it blackscreened. I get driver crashes every week or 2 and get the green screen here and there. Tired of it. Card itself is fine but these drivers ate awful. Havent had issues like this in years and Ive been loyal to AMD but Im tired of having a nice rig just to fight with these issues.

So roll back your drivers?

I got lucky and snagged a FE gtx1060 from NVIDIA for msrp last week. I consider myself lucky to get one at msrp. I was looking at 1050tis and they are mostly sold out with the few that are in stock are at 250-275. That shit is fucking insane. I can buy a gtx1050ti for $250 or buy a xbox one for $200 or a ps4 pro for $350. Gonna be hard to get more pc gamers with prices like this.

Exactly, I figured I'd work on my PS4 backlog while I wait for a decent deal on a video card.

So roll back your drivers?

Did. But its BS i cant use new drivers. And I still get a green screen on resuming use sometimes. Done with this crap. So Im blowing it out mining with it and Ill buy a new Nvidia when Ive made enough.

Unless your card blew out, you'd have to be crazy to buy a new card right now. Appreciating computer hardware is completely unsustainable, so run what you have and buy something new when the insanity subsides. Hell, for the prices these cards are going for you can buy a complete gaming laptop.

My question is why have Video Card prices sky rocket? I bought two of these
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING about 4 months ago for 425.00 a piece and now Amazon vendors and Newegg have them listed over 700.00. Makes no sense to me.

My question is why have Video Card prices sky rocket? I bought two of these
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING about 4 months ago for 425.00 a piece and now Amazon vendors and Newegg have them listed over 700.00. Makes no sense to me.

Sell them on eBay for $550 a pop and profit

It is a good time to dump your GPU and to buy Volta when it comes out in a couple months. The only problem will be getting a Volta on launch. All the damn miner are proably going to snap them up even before the performance is known for mining. If they mine good then stock will be non existent and prices through the roof. It is why I am having a hard time deciding to sell or not atm.

It is a good time to dump your GPU and to buy Volta when it comes out in a couple months. The only problem will be getting a Volta on launch. All the damn miner are proably going to snap them up even before the performance is known for mining. If they mine good then stock will be non existent and prices through the roof. It is why I am having a hard time deciding to sell or not atm.

That's not how it generally works, that first week it launches and you want one day 1 *At least NV* you will more than likely get the card, if you're dumb enough to wait for benchmarks enjoy paying more for less lol.

Back