So let me get this straight. My R9 290 is worth 500 bucks?

Chihlidog

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to uograde my GPU. Unfortunately I think Nvidia is getring my business this time around since a 580 isnt much faster than my 290.

But checking out availablity on ANYTHING worth buying... Im seeing everything is sold out. But then I see that miners I guess are paying north of 500 bucks for used 290s? Is this right?

Also ... guys... keep me on team red. I dont wanna go to a geforce but Im tired of driver issues and I want a significant performance increase. Is it even worth considering Vega????

Last edited:
Looking to uograde my GPU. Unfortunately I think Nvidia is getring my business this time around since a 580 isnt much faster than my 290.

But checking out availablity on ANYTHING worth buying... Im seeing everything is sold out. But then I see that miners I guess are paying north of 500 bucks for used 290s? Is this right?

Also ... guys... keep me on team red. I dont wanna go to a geforce but Im tired of driver issues and I want a significant performance increase. Is it even worth considering Vega????
if you could find one at a reasonable price then yes. At current stock and prices no.

Im looking at doing just that. If Im gonna pay over MSRP for anythung else I may as well spend a little extra and get the 1080ti for not much more.

This.

A Vega of either sort would be a substantial upgrade to a 290, but the current prices are just nuts. Better to spend the cash on a 1080ti.

there is no reason to spend anything on a gpu right now.

keep the 290 and wait.

Tired of driver issues. I updated to the latest drivers when they came out a week or 2 ago and it blackscreened. I get driver crashes every week or 2 and get the green screen here and there. Tired of it. Card itself is fine but these drivers ate awful. Havent had issues like this in years and Ive been loyal to AMD but Im tired of having a nice rig just to fight with these issues.

Tired of driver issues. I updated to the latest drivers when they came out a week or 2 ago and it blackscreened. I get driver crashes every week or 2 and get the green screen here and there. Tired of it. Card itself is fine but these drivers ate awful. Havent had issues like this in years and Ive been loyal to AMD but Im tired of having a nice rig just to fight with these issues.

that sucks..

guess you could look for a decent 1060.

I vote go 1080Ti

My experience with Fury X was great
My experience with Vega was SUCK

So I'd recommend 1080Ti.

---------------------

One little note though...

I actually like freesync better than gsync overall.

Gsync momentarily hitches when your frame rate goes above the sync range. That happens constantly - even at 120Hz and 3440x1440 on my 1080TI. Take for instance Star Wars Battlefront 2 I've been playing a lot lately. I might get 90FPS on ultra in a big open environement but 180FPS in a corridor. When I hit 120Hz I get a slight stutter - up or down.

Freesync doesn't have that when you exceed the freesync range -- sure you might see occasional tearing (might) - but a absolute momentary stutter is WAY more offputting than a potential for tearing.

I'll have to mess with capping the FPS at 120Hz or something, just haven't tried to figure out what to do yet. But I am getting annoyed with it for sure. I've read I can set a FPS cap with a tool like Riva Tuner. Just seems I shouldn't' have to. You can also use vsync - but that is the point of Freesync or G-Sync - to get away from V-sync.

As another note - this one I don't know if it's just my specific monitor or gsync in general. Freesync never blinked on/off the screen. Gsysnc seems to do it 3x's everytime your monitor wakes up. That little nuance annoys me.

But the horsepower in a 1080TI is off the charts amazing. I've never owned a graphics card this powerful. EVERYTHING I throw at it - it laughs and curb stomps it.

what resolution are you on? cause if you are on 1080p you might save a few bones and do 1070/1080 that will still stomp at 1080p, (my gtx970 still works great at 1080) if you are aiming for higher resolutions and the price difference isnt a dealbreaker for you get the 1080ti. I have an r9270x and havent had any driver issues, but i also have been using AMD since 2003 and their drivers have never been that great, i remember we used to download Omega's drivers for radeon cards, then they hired him as a driver developer and shit still didnt get better lol.

recent sold listings on ebay list r9 270x as selling for around 130 bucks. not sure where this $500 price is coming from.

Prices on anything right now are insane. But Im so tired of driver issues which is mainly whats prompting the upgrade.

Ive never had driver issues with my AMD cards, but in full disclosure I am a miner first gamer second. I often would set the miner intensity low enough that i could run WoW or whatever at 60fps without having to stop mining. I am a huge AMD fan, but as you can tell by my sig i switched to nvidia just because there was either nothing in stock for AMD or nothing priced fair. A vega 64 at $529? id buy 4 of them right now, but as a gamer its a tough sale over a nice AIB 1080 for $509 that comes with destiny 2. My vote is sell that R9 290 while you can and get a 1080 ti for $749ish

EDIT: I highly doubt you will actually get $500 for your R9 290, but $350 i think is possible and still worth selling at that price IMHO. R9 290s were impressive hardware, but they use sooo much power and run so hot -- i dont think they are going to be on miners radar much longer. 4 months ago i was making $400 a month, now i am making $1200 a month -- hence high demand for video cards. Once new shipments of cards (volta, vega, whatever is coming down the pipe, the value of the 290 should fall pretty quick back to $150-200 used)

I'm seeing sold listings on eBay for the exact same model (Sapphire Vapor-X OC 290) ranging anywhere from $140 to $300.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm seeing sold listings on eBay for the exact same model (Sapphire Vapor-X OC 290) ranging anywhere from $140 to $300.

Its a pain to find sold on my phone ... but im seeing plenty of 290s with bids up to 300....at which I still break even on what I paid for it lol.

i'd be interested to see how this goes... i have a 390 and would like to upgrade to like a 1070 but as mentioned prices are way too high.. thought about trying to sell it but..

For the price a 1080 Ti is currently going for you may as well just buy a Titan XP. At least those are always in stock.

Brother that might just be the card. I've been running a 290x since 2014 and haven't had a driver issue in years.

As for sticking with AMD, there's no point right now. The only option is Vega 64 but miners buy those out of stock as soon as they hit the shelves so they're not an option. 1070Ti isn't worth it as they're only $15 less than a 1080. So it's either a 1070, 1080 or 1080Ti right now that makes any sense as an upgrade.

Honestly tho, unless you're at 4K, there's no reason to upgrade really. I'm still getting 80-140 fps in most all games max settings at 1080 and I'm sure I'd still be well over 60 at 1440. I've decided to wait on Volta to see what that brings to the market.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

A lot of the $140-200 ones are "as is" have serious issues or for parts. Most of the "working in good condition ones are $300-350 range. I was looking at 290x and not plain 290s.

A lot of the $140-200 ones are "as is" have serious issues or for parts. Most of the "working in good condition ones are $300-350 range. I was looking at 290x and not plain 290s.

I think Chihlidog had a 290 not a 290X. Chihlidog...can you please confirm?

i'd be interested to see how this goes... i have a 390 and would like to upgrade to like a 1070 but as mentioned prices are way too high.. thought about trying to sell it but..

not hardly an upgrade. 1080 is the same price as 1070 plus the 1080 is less desirable by miners because of the higher latency DDR5X. You could mine and sell later. Nicehash shows a 290/390 makes $106 a month minus after .10 kwh for electric. If you do choose to mine, pick a coin that you believe in. Monero, electroneum or whatever. Hold the coin until the next market explosion. $105 a month turns into $315 a month if you do that.

R9 290 Vapor X. Faster than standard 290. Not quite 290x.

Brother that might just be the card. I've been running a 290x since 2014 and haven't had a driver issue in years.

As for sticking with AMD, there's no point right now. The only option is Vega 64 but miners buy those out of stock as soon as they hit the shelves so they're not an option. 1070Ti isn't worth it as they're only $15 less than a 1080. So it's either a 1070, 1080 or 1080Ti right now that makes any sense as an upgrade.

Honestly tho, unless you're at 4K, there's no reason to upgrade really. I'm still getting 80-140 fps in most all games max settings at 1080 and I'm sure I'd still be well over 60 at 1440. I've decided to wait on Volta to see what that brings to the market.

I dont think its my card but who knows. Not sure how to tell for sure. Event viewer shows me the AMD driver crashed when it happens and Ii know it was a common issue.

Either way Im tired of it. But as Im thinking about it .....Im going to blow the shit out of it mining and see wjat I can make.

not hardly an upgrade. 1080 is the same price as 1070 plus the 1080 is less desirable by miners because of the higher latency DDR5X. You could mine and sell later. Nicehash shows a 290/390 makes $106 a month minus after .10 kwh for electric. If you do choose to mine, pick a coin that you believe in. Monero, electroneum or whatever. Hold the coin until the next market explosion. $105 a month turns into $315 a month if you do that.

What coin do you recommend?

If m not mistaken .... nicehash mines the most profotabke and pays in bitcoin.

Is there a tutorial to set it up?
You basically just download it, install it, and then plug in your bitcoin address and hit "Go." No real need for a tutorial.

If m not mistaken .... nicehash mines the most profotabke and pays in bitcoin.

Is there a tutorial to set it up?

Nicehash is easier on Nvidia then AMD. For amd you use a nicehash legacy miner, its still pretty easy though. Create an account, download nicehash 1.8.6 legacy, open it - put in your wallet address and click start. If you have a good CPU it can also mine cryptonight, might make an extra $1 a day.

What coin do you recommend?

I am using mining pool hub and mining the most profitable coin (the miner and pool automatically switch coins for me) Then mining pool hub trades them on bittrex to the coin of my choice. I have chosen DGB (digibyte) as my primary. My cpus are mining electroneum. I am making about $50-60 a day worth of coins, but my real hope is that in july / december DGB / elect blows up 10x fold. I started mining DGB after the nicehash hack it was 1.7 cents each. It briefly hit 13.5 cents each two weeks ago, but if crypto starts mainstream adoption I could see DGB hitting $1 each. By june I should have $50,000 of them. Honestly, ill probably cash out if they hit 50 cents because i would be happy just to pay off my student loans.

I think stellar XLM coin would be a solid choice. it briefly hit 84 cents each and was 22 cents when i was first looking at it.

I am using mining pool hub and mining the most profitable coin (the miner and pool automatically switch coins for me) Then mining pool hub trades them on bittrex to the coin of my choice. I have chosen DGB (digibyte) as my primary. My cpus are mining electroneum. I am making about $50-60 a day worth of coins, but my real hope is that in july / december DGB / elect blows up 10x fold. I started mining DGB after the nicehash hack it was 1.7 cents each. It briefly hit 13.5 cents each two weeks ago, but if crypto starts mainstream adoption I could see DGB hitting $1 each. By june I should have $50,000 of them. Honestly, ill probably cash out if they hit 50 cents because i would be happy just to pay off my student loans.

I think stellar XLM coin would be a solid choice. it briefly hit 84 cents each and was 22 cents when i was first looking at it.

What are you mining with? Just your 1080???

I screwed around with Zcash but from what I can see Ill be lucky to make 3 dollars a day.

I vote go 1080Ti

My experience with Fury X was great
My experience with Vega was SUCK

So I'd recommend 1080Ti.

---------------------

One little note though...

I actually like freesync better than gsync overall.

Gsync momentarily hitches when your frame rate goes above the sync range. That happens constantly - even at 120Hz and 3440x1440 on my 1080TI. Take for instance Star Wars Battlefront 2 I've been playing a lot lately. I might get 90FPS on ultra in a big open environement but 180FPS in a corridor. When I hit 120Hz I get a slight stutter - up or down.

Freesync doesn't have that when you exceed the freesync range -- sure you might see occasional tearing (might) - but a absolute momentary stutter is WAY more offputting than a potential for tearing.

I'll have to mess with capping the FPS at 120Hz or something, just haven't tried to figure out what to do yet. But I am getting annoyed with it for sure. I've read I can set a FPS cap with a tool like Riva Tuner. Just seems I shouldn't' have to. You can also use vsync - but that is the point of Freesync or G-Sync - to get away from V-sync.

As another note - this one I don't know if it's just my specific monitor or gsync in general. Freesync never blinked on/off the screen. Gsysnc seems to do it 3x's everytime your monitor wakes up. That little nuance annoys me.

But the horsepower in a 1080TI is off the charts amazing. I've never owned a graphics card this powerful. EVERYTHING I throw at it - it laughs and curb stomps it.

You can fix this issue by turning on VSYNC on the graphics driver only (the graphics driver vsync is different if you have a gsync monitor) or if the game has a frame rate limiter, limited it to 142 frames so it won't turn off gsync.

I dont think its my card but who knows. Not sure how to tell for sure. Event viewer shows me the AMD driver crashed when it happens and Ii know it was a common issue.

Either way Im tired of it. But as Im thinking about it .....Im going to blow the shit out of it mining and see wjat I can make.

Newest drivers allow for Enhanced Sync on older cards like the R9 290 - make sure Enhanced Sync is OFF on your global profile. It hard crashes a LOT of (particularly older) games.

I love the Enhanced Sync feature, but I have to try it on a game-by-game basis, and leave it enabled in the individual game profiles where it works. (I game on an RX480, wife is on an R9 290).

You can fix this issue by turning on VSYNC on the graphics driver only (the graphics driver vsync is different if you have a gsync monitor) or if the game has a frame rate limiter, limited it to 142 frames so it won't turn off gsync.

v-sync on in the graphics control panel is different than in the game?

What are you mining with? Just your 1080???

I screwed around with Zcash but from what I can see Ill be lucky to make 3 dollars a day.

My sig says 8 x 1080s. I have 5 gaming computers and a laptop mining. Each gaming rig with two 1080s is currently mining DGB (sometimes the coin changes) but all day and yesterday i was making 140 DGB a day per rig. I can sell that DGB right now for 10 cents each 140 x .10 = $14 a day per rig

Also your AMD driver should have a workload setting. Change it from graphics to compute you get better hashrates.

Reactions: noko
like this
Back