So Lenovo has come upon an amazing idea

pelo

2[H]4U
http://www.laptopreviews.com/new-details-emerge-on-upcoming-lenovo-ideapad-y500-gaming-rig-2012-09

To refresh, the IdeaPad Y500 is going to be released at the end of October and will break new ground for laptops by offering an “UltraBay” into which you can easily add a second powerful dedicated graphics card and other upgrades. The new information reveals that this Ultrabay will not only be able to house a dedicated GPU upgrade, but also a DVD Burner, Blu-Ray drive, extra hard drive, extra fan or a dummy weight saver. These are all great options and you can easily swap out the Ultrabay depending on your needs for the day. For instance, if you want to watch a DVD movie simply swap in the optical drive to the UltraBay, then later if you want to play a game such as Skyrim you can swap in the dedicated Nvidia graphics. Speaking of Nvidia graphics, the source has revealed that it will be the Nvidia 650M graphics card used both internally for the Y500 and as the option for the UltraBay. The screenshot below proves the fact that two Nvidia 650M GPUs are at work in the Y500 system this person has:

image_thumb35.png

The smaller sized 14-inch Y400 will also have this same option of dual Nvidia 650M graphics cards, that would make it likely the most powerful and capable 14-inch laptop on the market – now we can only hope the cooling is reasonable! What was further revealed is that the UltraBay Nvidia 650M GPU will retail for around 1500 RMB in China, which is about $238 in the U.S. The pricing on the Y400 and Y500 will be higher than what we see on the current Y580 and Y480 – after all, there is more technology involved, but Lenovo is currently trying to get the pricing down so it’s at least competitive.

It has been confirmed that the IdeaPad Y500 will have a 1920 x 1080 Full HD screen option, however the Y400 will be stuck with just a 1366 x 768 screen and no screen resolution upgrade option. The power adapter will be a 170W variety to provide enough power for the dedicated GPU options, it’s unlikely the Y500 or Y400 will do well on battery life, especially if you have two dedicated graphics cards running at the same time. Finally, the last bit of information that has been verified is that the Y500 will have both Core i5 and i7 3rd generation processor options while the Y400 will have Core i3, i5 and i7 to support more budget friendly

That sounds amazing. Frankly, it's about time we get to pick what GPU we want in a laptop. I'm hoping this trend takes off with other manufacturers and we see prices decrease across the board.

Wow. That is fucking cool. GT 650M SLI would actually be pretty powerful, assuming the interface supports SLI.

Very smart, hopefully it becomes some sort of standard so that you don't get completely limited when it comes to which GPU you can stick in there.

Interesting... The 170w power brick seems like it'll be quite heavy to carry around though unfortunately...

Heavy psu + some type of bay + laptop itself.

Looks like a niche product, but I'm curious where this will go...

Laptops should have been modular like this for a long time. Nobody capitalized on it until now. Watch all laptops turn this way within a year or two.

Lenovo has always made one of the more modular laptops out there, in the form of the T series.
Up until the recent generations, you could put all sorts of cool stuff in them.
This takes the cake though. In the past, custom graphics options that are not built into the laptop don't usually take off too well though. Hopefully this doesn't fall into that pile.

Laptops should have been modular like this for a long time. Nobody capitalized on it until now. Watch all laptops turn this way within a year or two.

How about an industry wide 5.25" bay PCIe standard, so you could buy a third party PCIe card and put it in any manufacturer's compatible laptop?

Back