So Ive thought about it long and hard. I will not be buying the GTX 1080

I really love this card and the performance is outstanding based on its power usage. However, the price is just too high. I no long can support or agree with the above $500 GPUS. It makes no sense what so ever. Basically all computer components have been decreasing in cost over the years except GPUS. I am very disappointed in NVIDIA.

No its not because the flagship card should not be 700 bucks. Im not supporting the greed anymore.

No its not because the flagship card should not be 700 bucks. Im not supporting the greed anymore.

Have fun not buying any new GPUs. AMD's top gaming card is $1500 so you can't fix this by going Team Red.

Last edited:
lol.

The funny part is that GPU prices have stay very similar when accounting for inflation.

$599 for the 1080. $400 for the Ti 4600 back in the day.

Anyways, have fun and goodbye. People complaining about price must not remember how insane pricing / upgrade cycle was back in the late '90s/early 2000's.

Last edited:
lol.

The funny part is that GPU prices have stay very similar when accounting for inflation.

$599 for the 1080. $400 for the Ti 4600 back in the day.

Anyways, have fun and goodbye. People complaining about price must not remember how insane pricing / upgrade cycle was back in the late '90s/early 2000's.

Except STEM wages have been stagnating since the 90s, or even going down due to huge influx of tech VISA workers working for pennies. Its corporate profits that are at an all time high.

There's already a thread for this for everyone's discussion, but congrats on making an entire thread for your personal conclusion.

I really love this card and the performance is outstanding based on its power usage. However, the price is just too high. I no long can support or agree with the above $500 GPUS. It makes no sense what so ever. Basically all computer components have been decreasing in cost over the years except GPUS. I am very disappointed in NVIDIA.

Not to be rude, but who are you?

The universal kick I get out of threads like this... on pretty much any topic on something new/hot that's coming out is how willing people are to share their pointless opinion on a cards value to themselves or others. There is never a shortage of people happy to tell others how they should spend their money. Mix in most people's failure to understand basic economics, and it's always a recipe for a good laugh. When you have the hottest GPU on the market that's a scarce supply, nvidia or anyone that gets their hands on one can charge whatever they like. You are free to pay or wait, it's really that simple!

When all of us are cruising along with our 1080 GTX's doing mach jesus as 1440p I'll be sure to crack a smile and remember how much happier darkstar noob is using his old tech. I'm jumping in the pool as soon as a nice dual fan MSI version comes out.

Lol at the saltiness all around.

It's an upper mid range card in ~four months. Bend over and pay your highway robbery edition prices. AIBs wont save you till then, whoever does break the trend, won't have stock.

Lol at the saltiness all around.

It's an upper mid range card in ~four months. Bend over and pay your highway robbery edition prices. AIBs wont save you till then, whoever does break the trend, won't have stock.

lol quoted for the outright b.s. here.

upper mid-range...4 months...pure troll.

GTX 980 released in 09/14 and the TITAN X dropped in 03/15. 6 months. History will repeat itself. Plus, you're jumping from the $600/$700 part to the $1000+ part there. The Ti won't release until Summer '17.

Pay to have the fastest card. If you can't afford it, don't troll.

Aren't the AIB 1080's supposed to come in around $500-525? That doesn't seem that far off considering it'll be the fastest single card on the market by a pretty good margin. I bought my GTX 670 for $400 way back when, my MSI Lightning was $600+, hell the GTX 295 was $500 in 2009 when I first got into this thing of ours. I mean yeah I wish it was a little cheaper but at this point anyway, I don't see $500 for that kind of performance unreasonable.

upper mid-range...4 months...pure troll.

There is more than one roadmap to look at - Vega. A significantly larger die, packaged with HBM2 - it's going to be nearly impossible for them to screw that one up.

Have no problems to pay for the fastest card, when it is worth it from a value and investment POV. Jumping on an elevated price, small die card trying to be high end by a moderate margin, is not my idea of value or long term investment. E.g. a TX or a 980Ti from close to launch, is a good long term investment if you can use the capabilities at hand. People have had plenty of great use out of them.
So yes, the 1080 is a great soon to be mid range card, but not at that price. Not to mention whatever card you buy currently, you really need at least two to do 4k [H]ard justice.

Do you think the AIBs will actually price at MSRP, when they know people are paying another 100 bucks for a gimped reference card? Stock is sold out already from current launch, so you'd be a stupid company to charge any less than Nvidia until availability is higher. And when they eventually do sit around on shelves a little longer, the first company that does, will be out of stock before you can get one. Same old shit with every reference card launch since whenever.

Intel CPUs are more expensive too

Do you think the AIBs will actually price at MSRP, when they know people are paying another 100 bucks for a gimped reference card? Stock is sold out already from current launch, so you'd be a stupid company to charge any less than Nvidia until availability is higher. And when they eventually do sit around on shelves a little longer, the first company that does, will be out of stock before you can get one. Same old shit with every reference card launch since whenever.

Nothing has been sold yet (ETA 40 minutes) - there is no sell out as of yet.

Was the TITAN X a good value proposition versus the 980 just because it was the "full card"?

Everything is subjective. The facts today are the 1080 is the fastest card out there. Will the 1080 Ti and next TITAN be faster? Yes. But that's at least 6 months away.

Nothing has been sold yet (ETA 40 minutes) - there is no sell out as of yet.

Was the TITAN X a good value proposition versus the 980 just because it was the "full card"?

Yes, as you say - it's subjective. Hence I said it is good value if you can use the capabilities of a Ti at the 'normal price', or a TX. Even a Radeon Pro Duo could be a good value proposition for someone who needs firepro driver functionality and gaming.
But for your average high end Joe, Vega or a Ti is a better bet for a long term investment. At least they won't be mid-ranged in four months.

Again, out of stock unless you want to pay another $600 'ebay edition' tax on top of the reference edition tax.
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Pre-order & In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net

Yeah dude people have been ordering/back ordering thanks to a fuckup from Amazon and Frys. Just means they are not physically selling/sending them from stores till then.
That said good luck buying one at the other places.

I can't see whatever you have linked. (twatbook?) Use a URL.

Owning the top end NVidia card has always run somewhere in the $600-800 range. The great thing about NVidia has been their various pricing tiers. You can pick the card that fits both your need and your price tolerance. Depending on my budget I have had NVidia cards from $250-650 (I haven't had a Radeon card since the early 2000's). My most recent purchase (980Ti Hybrid) is somewhere in the high 700's. If you want the best single card GPU it is always going to run you a pretty penny. Right now I am happy with my 980Ti so I am working to pay down debt so I can grab a Pascal based Titan Hybrid when it is released. Hopefully that should allow me to make the jump to single card 4K finally.

Once they get rid of that Ugly reference cooler I will pick one up looks like a Gay silver Batmobile.

Back