So, it turns out that 5700 cards won't work on Windows 8.1...

It amuses me that every time there is a thread on certain topics (Windows versions other than 10, Star Citizen...) there are certain members that come to jump all over it with some evangelized counterpoint. Please calm down, the world is not ending because someone bought a video game you dont like or *gasp* run an older but still patched version of Windows. There is no need to offtopic the thread for an operating system that will be patched for the next 3.5 years.

If you are all so concerned about secugeny, why are any of you still using an Intel cpu before 9th gen? Please dont answer, it was just making a point.

To the OP, best of luck. You have your first taste of AMD driver support. It does not age like a fine wine, so act accordingly. Pascal cards are reasonable prices in the used market currently, as well as Polaris cards ( but would be a sidegrade from a 970)

I guess that does make sense...the enterprise segment (largest volume) mostly avoided Win8/8.1 like the plague.

Not just enterprise; or rather gamers on 8.x upgraded to 10 in mass. 8.x is only 3% on steam.

W7 still has around 20% by comparison.

The point is, amd is by far, not the only hardware company that doesn't support every version of windows just because microsoft has stated that they'll be backporting security patches to it for the next N number of years.

Intel wont even support versions of windows 10 for graphics drivers older than the last minor release.

To complain about the hardships of new hardware or software on old operating systems is a widespread all encompassing complaint, not specific to the 5700 or amd. But it's a hardship that is almost always voluntarily made.

It amuses me that every time there is a thread on certain topics (Windows versions other than 10, Star Citizen...) there are certain members that come to jump all over it with some evangelized counterpoint. Please calm down, the world is not ending because someone bought a video game you dont like or *gasp* run an older but still patched version of Windows. There is no need to offtopic the thread for an operating system that will be patched for the next 3.5 years.

If you are all so concerned about secugeny, why are any of you still using an Intel cpu before 9th gen? Please dont answer, it was just making a point.

To the OP, best of luck. You have your first taste of AMD driver support. It does not age like a fine wine, so act accordingly. Pascal cards are reasonable prices in the used market currently, as well as Polaris cards ( but would be a sidegrade from a 970)

Lol, you've only been on this forum for 3 months! :LOL:

Last edited:
8.1 is way better than win7, but Win10 is the best.
I will still take Windows 8.1 over 10. In my opinion (and hindsight), 8.1 was the perfect sweetspot. The only reason I'm using 10 now is because I went Ryzen instead of my x79 build that I planned.

I will still take Windows 8.1 over 10. In my opinion (and hindsight), 8.1 was the perfect sweetspot. The only reason I'm using 10 now is because I went Ryzen instead of my x79 build that I planned.
I still use 8.1 on my work pc, 10 still has random annoying bugs like in the latest update they broke the VPN connection from the network icon on the start menu now you have to use the one from the settings menu for it to actually connect lol. It's really fun having to teach users the workaround.

Back