So it doesn't work as well as I first thought...

Mr_Evil

2[H]4U
Alright, I know I stated in the FAQ that you can upgrade your Laptop's optical drive. There's one other thing I should add. I recently purchased a DVD RW drive from newegg with the intent of installing it in the fixed optical bay of my Inspiron 8200/C840.....Well, I got the Dell bracket attached to the drive and all, the bastard wouldn't boot. So I checked all my connections, wouldn't boot. So I take the new drive out and put the old one back in, it boot right to windows none the wiser. So I then pulled the CD-ROM and put the new burner back in. It booted to windows, windows detected the drive, and then when I tried using the drive it froze up. So now I'm just a bit pissed off. So I go grab my modular bay CD-ROM drive (which I bought on eBay for $5) and get to work tearing it apart. I take out the modular bay connector to Laptop drive adapter and popped the new Burner in the modular bay....'lo and behold the SOB works. So I set to butcher the casing for the modular drive so the new drive's faceplate will clear at the corners and the edge. Took an hour with the dremel to get the corners right and still make it look presentable. So now I'm going to make another addendum to the FAQ, YMMV on Laptop Optical drive upgrades. I don't know if it's just a thing with my AOpen drive or with the i8200 itself, but it didn't like that burner being in the fixed optical bay.

Cliffs:

1: Mr_Evil buys Laptop DVD Burner.
2: Mr_Evil finds out his new DVD Burner doesn't play nice with the Laptop's HDD
3: Mr_Evil butchers a perfectly good modular CD-ROM drive housing to fit the new drive.
4: Profit

Back