So is this the new way to buy games now?

SnowBeast

[H]ard|Gawd
Titanfall, 3 months after launch $30.. How many people bought it for $59 regular, $69 limited edition, or $99 super duper bring the KY version??? #1 game so far this year and it drops that fast???? I do feel cheated. Guess we just wait every year for the Steam sale to boot!

Just ripped into Dice/whoever the fuck for that $20 DLC known as Battlefield Hardline and told them for a game that THEY said has been in development for 3 years they sure let a lot of shit in the game, even for a BETA 3 years in the making. Magnetic walls, falling through floors, crappy netcode they said they recently updated to 2.0, car physics that feel like I am driving a train, etc. Guys this is after 3 years and the BETA is this bad??? BF4 still doesn't "feel" right. Glad I paid $110 premium when that piece of shit came out. :mad:

Also, I just let it rip on Star Wars: Battlefront. Its in General forum in Hardline forum, nice little sticky, guess they were pissed I went off topic about their DLC Hardline. Dice blames their own development partners but the overall engine is still their crap that is underdeveloped. I jumped in their ass and told them that 10 years waiting for a Star Wars: Battlefront, they should drop this Hardline for $20 in August and put everyone on SW: Battlefront and polish the hell out of it. It will be a bigger release. But when you constantly put out unpolished crap you are not giving us any real hope that this Star Wars will be any different than your Battlefield line. There is no way that Star Wars Battlefront at E3 this year is going to look like that. Not after these two turds they are trying to still polish.
Oh snap, I forgot how long it took Blizzard to get Diablo 3 straight and that cost another $39 to fix right. And yes I do love it. So it cost me for the game I really wanted couple of years and $100. Yay me.

I guess the point I am trying make is developers need to stick to working one game and making that the best specially when its a bread and butter type like BF4. EA// Dice is doing what Activision has C.O.D. developers doing and we are getting shit product. I have owned every game from BF1942 and expansions, 2142, BF2, 3, 4, and BC2.(2 different accounts, but still own them all) Its like all products from BF3 and on are not polished/unfinished.

Sorry, needed to rant. I just feel ripped off the last couple years by these developers/distributors. At least I was smart enough not to buy the Titanfall Season Pass for $90.

games are definitely dropping in price much faster...you can even find sales 6 weeks in nowadays...playing on Day 1 is not as big of a priority for me anymore as waiting nets you better prices and a more stable game

And if you buy your keys from key dealers like cdkeydiscount it's usually cheaper the day of launch if not pre-order.. I know Watch Dogs was available for like $48 pre-launch.

And this is why you never buy beta / early access / first day releases... unless you have issues and need to brag among-st your friends as being the 1st person to play X game, it is seldom EVER worth it.

I honestly can not recall the last game i bought on a release day or for full price.....

But in the end why bother making a polished product when %99 of their user base will run out and buy the game pre-order and not care it runs like crap...

People are stupid and unfortunately there are less and less and less intelligent shoppers this day in age it seems.

And if you buy your keys from key dealers like cdkeydiscount it's usually cheaper the day of launch if not pre-order.. I know Watch Dogs was available for like $48 pre-launch.

Annnnd if people looked on ebay, folks couldve had that game for 30 bucks from people selling it from their nvidia gpus. Shit some are 20 now cause of the debacle it is.

This is just a lesson that you should never pay full price for games or electronics because they always free fall after you buy them. Very few things in this world I pay full price for and games damn sure aint one of them. If this is the case, I should be mad that I purchased my xbox one on launch day for 543 bucks and the price fell to 399. Wheres my refund cause I was stupid and purchased on launch?

Its the way the world works.

Only buy a game day one if you feel the need to support the developers. The only game I've bought on release recently is Dark Souls 2, don't regret it in the slightest and the devs well deserve the full price.

If the game is good or appealing, I always buy it day one. If I can't find it cheaper for pre-order (aka gmg), then I just buy the game full price on steam with no regrets.

For games I have lukewarm interest, I just wait for deals.

Yeah, these days even in the pre-order stage there is almost zero reason to pay full price for games. You can almost always get a pre-order discount or wait a few months for a sale.

EA has refused to disclose how many copies of Titanfall it sold so presumably it didn't do very well, hence the reason why it is probably on sale.

IMO, with all the DLC and Season Pass we get these days, which are pretty much contents that were developed along with the game but are being held back as DLC, games doesn't need to be sold at $60 to make profit. Release price are meant to rip off anyone who wants the game enough to buy it day 1 or pre-order. The price is then quickly dropped to sell more copies and encourage the sales of DLC.

For me it's never worth it to buy a game at full price and still have to buy the Season Pass to get the complete game. Just wait for some Premium Edition bundle that includes everything later on.

Battlefield Hardline is being made large in part by Visceral Games not Dice. Otherwise they only have Mirror's Edge and SWBF in the works . Dice did have some okay games but I think EA started stepping in more. So, I don't think it's entirely fair to hate on just Dice.

Glad I paid $110 premium when that piece of shit came out. :mad:
You had to have known at the time that was a bad idea. Essentially, what you told EA/DICE was that you'll buy content that doesn't even exist yet, just because you have faith in its eventual quality, regardless of what that content is. They then decide to do Hardline, which they had to have simply assumed 'you' would buy. Because you told them pretty plainly when you bought Premium that you would!

What did you expect?

The only game I've bought on release recently is Dark Souls 2, don't regret it in the slightest and the devs well deserve the full price.
Do they? The initial PC release was riddled with issues.

People are stupid and unfortunately there are less and less and less intelligent shoppers this day in age it seems.
* fewer and fewer and fewer
* day and age

Just making a point.

It's because, I believe, a large number of people buy it day 1 regardless of the price, so they have the day 1 price high. But then they realised there's a bunch of people who don't like paying full price but will instead buy it from the bargain bin a year later... the publishers figured the best way to capture this crowd was to offer some sales soon after launch while hype is high, so the other suckers buy it thinking "wow awesome deal at $30!" instead of waiting a year and getting it for $10.

They're just maximising the profits from the day 1 suckers and also the "ooo, a sale!" suckers.

Maybe its just me but it was obvious Titanfall prices would free fall shortly after release. The game just did not look like it would maintain full price demand for long. Playing it now on Origin with the free 48 hour window I just don't see me even paying $30 for the game.

I don't think it's fair to compare multiplayer only games to those with a single player component. It's apples and oranges and of course apples rot faster.

Patience is indeed a virtue here - I've spent nickels & dimes on the Steam sale this week for games released at premium prices mere months ago. There is no need to buy Day 1 (or even Month 1) anymore, what with driver issues, wonky content needing patching, etc. I find waiting a bit gives a better all-round gaming experience, at least for single player games.

The caveat of waiting is sometimes you'll be behind the 8-ball when a good chunk of the players know every map and strategy in and out by the time you get around to it.
For single players games it's absolutely the way to go, though.

Titanfall, 3 months after launch $30.. How many people bought it for $59 regular, $69 limited edition, or $99 super duper bring the KY version??? #1 game so far this year and it drops that fast???? I do feel cheated. Guess we just wait every year for the Steam sale to boot!

[...]

Sorry, needed to rant. I just feel ripped off the last couple years by these developers/distributors. At least I was smart enough not to buy the Titanfall Season Pass for $90.

The best example on my mind right now is Tomb Raider, was $5 less than one year after release.

I personally always wait for games to drop to the $7.50 or less price point (Spintires was the notable exception which I bought at full price, and I bought DCS for like $15 the other day) because I know that they will and they will soon. The only time I buy DLC content is when it comes bundled in a GOTY edition or some such.

I think that the full retail price is for people who feel that they MUST-HAVE-IT-NOW and are foaming at the mouth about it. To me it makes no sense at all to pay $60+ for a game when I know for a fact that it will be substantially less expensive just months down the road.

My backlog is so long that I could not buy any games for a year and I wouldn't run out of stuff to play (also, years later World of Tanks is still awesome).

I get your rage somewhat, but I think the lesson learned is to simply wait for a sale you know is coming.

The developers started releasing unfinished and highly buggy games long before Steam or any other digital download company came along so I dont feel bad about not buying on release day and waiting for price drops. They started this cycle not the consumers. Make a good game of good quality at a reasonable price and I'll buy it on release day. Otherwise I'll just wait for price drop.

The caveat of waiting is sometimes you'll be behind the 8-ball when a good chunk of the players know every map and strategy in and out by the time you get around to it.

Exactly. In multiplayer only games you get in, have some thrills, and bail. Multiplayer only means that after X amount of months, the player base is going to move on to the next big thing and then the publisher has a sale to attract new blood. This happens a few times until the sequel rolls out. Buying a multiplayer game over 6 months after it's launch just means you're willing to be cannon fodder for the vets. You don't mind playing on the server with 100ms latency from you that is actually populated and has elite hackers on it since the publisher has moved at that point.

Single player + CO-OP games last longer because you can play them at your leisure. Server population isn't a problem. Hell servers aren't a problem since you can play by yourself. Buy these whenever you feel like it.

The developers started releasing unfinished and highly buggy games long before Steam or any other digital download company came along so I dont feel bad about not buying on release day and waiting for price drops. They started this cycle not the consumers. Make a good game of good quality at a reasonable price and I'll buy it on release day. Otherwise I'll just wait for price drop.

I remember buying so many CD jewel case games back in the day and throwing them into the corner until I saw that there was a patch that actually allowed the game to start up now available. The DRM was so bad that I learned to make sure there was a NO-CD crack before I bought a game because more than likely the shit wasn't going to work. Sometimes I would buy a game and then download the pirated version as it worked 100% of the time without issues. There were many a discussion on these boards about the morality of buying a physical copy of a game and then downloading the DRM free actually working scene copy.

Nowadays we have Steam with actual disclaimers that a game is Early Access and people complaining that they bought it and it was buggy. Funniest shit ever. What did you think you were buying? Didn't the front page state that the game is really buggy?

People crack me up sometimes. ;) I wish there was a time capsule that would allow them to see how much PC gaming has improved over the years.

depends on the developers, example, dark souls 2, witcher wild hunt, borderlands 2, all preordered. Borderlands prequel, not. The franchise seems to have turned into a money grab.

I never buy games on release date. The last one I did was BF3 and I pretty much hate that game. Once you get passed the initial 2 weeks, its easy to wait even months before buying. I just bought borderlands 2 last night

I totally can’t stand this attitude that because you wait for something to get cheaper you are hurting gaming.

The OP states he was burned by several new releases, despite admitting to being warned several times exactly what would happen. The big companies bank on people with buying habits like him. They'll continue to release unfinished stuff, continue to nickel+dime, continue to apologize profusely about issues, continue to drop titles when the next one is ready for the cycle.

Most recently you have Watch Dogs and Ubisoft; where a vocal part of the community pointed out just one of the many screwed up practices that the industry does...and Ubisoft's response is "Eh, we don't care, there's plenty of suckers that don't complain, so.... fuck you, bye"

Your best case outcome for stuff like this is "Well, its fun, but there are a ton of annoyances/bugs, and it could really use some more maps".

I totally can’t stand this attitude that because you wait for something to get cheaper you are hurting gaming.

I say that we should let the free market decide how much each consumer is willing to pay for entertainment. You say that consumers should pay full retail. I wonder which one of us is more aligned with reality.

This thread is funny. You didn't have to pay $60 for it at launch. I preordered it for $44 and I'm glad I did. Waiting months to play a game to save $15 just isn't worth it to me.

I bought Watch Dogs for $35 off someone selling their nvidia code before release too, don't regret that either.

IMO, it just comes down to supporting developers that put out a polished product on day 1 and/or support continue to support their product.
Too often companies will release a so-so (at best) port for the PC and the only patches or fixes we ever see are the ones that enable DLC or similar "features."
I've been burned by certain devs too many times to risk a day 1 purchase. To me it isn't even necessarily about price as much as getting a game that will work well.

The only Day 1 this year is GTAV and maybe Batman. Everything else you can wait on.
And as you can see, these are SP games, MP games aren't Day1 buys AT ALL!

DON'T BUY MP GAMES DAY 1.

I say that we should let the free market decide how much each consumer is willing to pay for entertainment. You say that consumers should pay full retail. I wonder which one of us is more aligned with reality.

No, read my post. I feel the opposite way.

That's only really a problem if you want to be in the top few % of players and plan on investing a hell of a lot of time. Most games, players come and go so that if you buy it down the track (assuming it's still popular enough to have some players) you will still be competitive.

And also I haven't met many games where it takes all that long to learn the maps. Usually it only takes being killed a couple of times to figure it out, or follow some other players who do already know the map and you'll figure it out pretty quick.

Get another cup of coffee then read his post again :p

Are you talking about the gaming experience, or the companies wallet?

With day 1 DLC and Season Pass that cost more than the game itself, rest assured that their wallets are well taken care off

No, read my post. I feel the opposite way.

LOL
Dude, I totally skipped over "that" in

and read "I totally can’t stand this attitude because [if] you wait for something to get cheaper you are hurting gaming."

Sorry about that. I now see what you really wrote and agree with it.

People buying garbage on release day hurts gaming more than people encouraging developers to release quality products.

Personally I just wait *one day* before buying new games. The first day of release, I check a few forums, then get the game the next day. This hasn't failed me yet.

Last edited:
And this is why you never buy beta / early access / first day releases... unless you have issues and need to brag among-st your friends as being the 1st person to play X game, it is seldom EVER worth it.

I honestly can not recall the last game i bought on a release day or for full price.....

But in the end why bother making a polished product when %99 of their user base will run out and buy the game pre-order and not care it runs like crap...

While the console side of things of said games do have some issues.Console games still have to go through Sony or Microsoft's QA department before a game gets released. For PC you basically pay to play or pay to test rather. There is no external QA department outside of the game studio for PC gaming.

Does it suck? yep it sure does
What can you do about it? not much

While the console side of things of said games do have some issues. Games still have to go through Sony or Microsoft's QA department before a game gets released. For PC you basically pay to play or pay to test rather

Sony and Microsoft QA makes sure the game launches and runs on the platform, they don't make sure the game is free of critical defects.

Back