so is the M1210 my best bet?

souroull

Limp Gawd
was looking for something relatively small and light and able to play games on. narrowed it down to the sony SZ, Asus W3J and the M1210. are there any other options i missed?

as much as i hate dell, the 1210 turned out to be the best choice out of the 3. the SZ is more expensive and the W3j doesnt have a dock i need (although it has a better GPU).

i hate the looks of the m1210, but oh well. anyone care to convince me to get it? :D

Sorry dude, but not can do. I just got the SZ and I love it! The Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM and NVidia Graphics all packed into a compact and light design. I looked at the Dell too, but for a little more $ the SZ is the way to go.

damn you, those were my thoughts exactly
plus i missed out on this costco deal for an sz270 for 1700.. god DAMNIT

my cousin just got an SZ Core 2 duo, 2GB ram, and yes, that NVidia card.. it was pricey, but that's what you pay for a sexy little system. my only grip is the size of the mouse buttons, they're a bit small. but for the size of the laptop, they keys are pretty darn good (size and feel). overall, i think it's a good package if you have the cash.

Also look at the HEL-30. the 1210 is heavy and this Compal has a 14.1 WS, 7600, 9 cell battery. Might be something to think about. Just shy above 5LBS. Its pretty light for what you get ;)

I've been looking heavily at it, and it's the best all around deal I've found yet.

The webcam is indispensable, for me!

i think asus build quality is pretty high maybe thats a reason. as for me, i was in the same situation as you. the 15.4 inches were too big and i didnt like the styling of the cheaper ones like dell and acer. i ended up deciding on a Compal HGL-30 as someone suggested. you should google some reviews, it might be something you want to consider..

actually i was set on the asus one but there is no port replicator for the w3j...
now you've just opened a new can of worms with the compal.. i'll check it out
thanks

souroull said:
why is that?

Because it does have the better GPU. Also Asus is probably more reliable than a Sony. I'd probably just wait to see if there were any good deals on the Dell, but after that Asus would be my next choice.

What do you need a dock a for? And don't they make universal USB laptop docks? I had one once for an old laptop, didn't think it was worth it. IBM use to have one that had its own video card, that might have been useful, but other than that I don't like them.

i need the dock to put my monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse to work when i'm at my desk
yeah the usb docks are a joke, but the oem ones are awsome.

I love my M1210 as well. As far as gaming goes, it's played everything I've wanted to play with ease. Yes, it's heavy for it's size but it's so portable I barely notice it. I've owned every size laptop up to 17" and this one is by far the easiest to carry around. I'm not going to convince you though but I love mine.

souroull said:
i need the dock to put my monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse to work when i'm at my desk

the M1210 has a vga output, audio output and multiple usb ports so you really do not need a dock to use all your stuff, just plug them directly into the laptop.

souroull said:
Isn't IBM the best bet if you want a nice dock?

neisius said:
Isn't IBM the best bet if you want a nice dock?

yeah i'm on a T41 right now and the dock i have for it is awsome. thats why i need something that comes with a factory dock and not those crappy USB third party ones.

freaky, almost all laptops have that, but its too much work when you have to plug in 10 stuff at a time (vga, keyboard, mouse, ethernet, speakers, printer, camera, power,s-video)

the m1210 does have a dock, but i dont really like it, heh.

doesn't the t60 and t60p have a pretty outdated graphics card or have it integrated?

I recommended the Sony before, but earilier today I brought it back to the store. While it was a beast of a system, I've read and have had past experience with Vaio's and their instable hardware. Particularly the hard drive. I may have overlooked this before, but the experience, over a couple of days with the new Vaio jogged my memory. My sister, however, has the Dell and is in love with it. While she is hardly a power user, she is computer competent.

Good Luck!

aw man, i'm loving the A8Js right now
i think i'm gonna order it and call it a day

iantosca said:
I recommended the Sony before, but earilier today I brought it back to the store. While it was a beast of a system, I've read and have had past experience with Vaio's and their instable hardware. Particularly the hard drive. I may have overlooked this before, but the experience, over a couple of days with the new Vaio jogged my memory. My sister, however, has the Dell and is in love with it. While she is hardly a power user, she is computer competent.

Good Luck!

well, they don't make hdds, like other companies i'm sure they change hdd companies every model/refresh

I've lost the hard drive on one of my Sony's and one of my friends has had to send his back three times now. Support is decent I'm assuming, but it just doesn't make them appear to be quality products in my eyes.

why does the 1210 cost more then the alienware 15" model and the alienware has a go 7600 while the 1210 has a go 7400?

CyByte said:
why does the 1210 cost more then the alienware 15" model and the alienware has a go 7600 while the 1210 has a go 7400?
1. smaller normaly cost more. The m1210 is 12.1" and the Alienware is 15.4"
2. My m1210 was $1890. The Alienware setup as close to the same as possible is $2100

Back