So is overclocking a 9600K as easy just needing to fiddle with two settings ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
I read on another forum all you have to do is fiddle with two settings in the bios. Set CPU Core Ratio to "Sync All Cores" and basically set a multiplier you're aiming for and adjust voltage within the safe range until its stable. If it doesn't ever become stable, or gets too hot, drop your multiplier. Then I was going to test with prime95 26.6. Is it really that simple ? I'd like to OC the CPU to 5GHz. Is there any other settings I need to concern myself with like loadline and such ? I have a Asus Strix z390 by the way.

I've seen guides on YouTube but lots of them are really long and seem complicated.

Last edited:
That's technically all you need to do, if you have decent RAM you can probably OC that while you're there. My Corsair Dominators OC'd from 3000MHz to 3200MHz without changing timings or voltage.

Easier way to do it is from Windows if your motherboard supports a Windows OC tool suite like Asus' AI Suite. You can run Prime95 and start bumping voltage and multiplier until you get rounding errors instead of restarting a million times to find a stable clock in the BIOS. Once you find your stable clock in Windows you can drop into the BIOS and set it there.

If you're not sure about your mobo vendor you can try Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility to accomplish a Windows level overclock.

IETU_Ryom.png

Last edited:
That's basically it. Now there are, depending on your motherboard, TOND of things you can do to ensure that the processor runs as efficient and stable as possible with the clocking information you request of it. Load Line, cash voltages, etc. But those are really advanced topics. For newcomers, Set ratio, apply voltage, dissipate additional heat. Oh...and pray to the silicon gods.

Back