So... is MW2 actually fun? (Flame-free please. Looking for actual opinions...)

RyanLucier

Gawd
As the title says.. is Modern Warfare 2 actually fun? I just want to know, from people who have actually PLAYED the game, is the maximum of 9v9 and from what I'm reading 6v6 for most game modes acceptable? Is it a refreshing change of play, or is it just the same old modern warfare with less players (I'm hoping that since they've lowered the number of players, the gameplay style has been changed appropriately for the better).

I suppose it's one of those "don't knock it before you try it" situations, and I'm wondering if anyone really likes the changes.

Please do NOT bring up any discussions about voting with your wallet, or flaming in general. I understand that some people may not like the changes they've done to matchmaking etc. (I'm one of them) but I'm looking for some actual opinions with substance beyond simple meandering.

I played for about an hour and a half last night. I had a fair amount of fun. I really don't mind the sizes. I never was a person for 16v16 TDM or anything like that. Maybe to ramrod for a map or two, but nothing more. You only start out with TDM, Domination, and a gametype that I think rotates between the two.

It's a bit overwhelming at first. A ton of guns, killstreaks, new hud, shit flashing all over the screen for acheivements and such. That sorta got annoying.

Here's something I posted in the other thread:
Maps are pretty cool. On a lot of them, there are a lot of places you can go like rooftops and inside buildings.

A few gripes though:
There is way too much crap popping up on my screen. Now that I think about it, that *might* go away as you complete challenges, but it was the constant “HEADSHOT! +50 POINTS!”, every time. Same with ‘Long distance/!!!!!’ –

P2P and matchmaking is DUMB – No ping in numbers, just green/yellow/red bars. I’m wondering if they show us the ‘host migration’ screen like the console previews showed. We’d just randomly get a CI (no CI message though) for about 5-10 seconds, and then everything was fine. I think they hide the host migration from us. One of the times it was doing its CI thing, as soon as it wasn’t laggy anymore, a person timed out, who was probably the host.

After all the hype vs negative press over the last few months, I'm very interested in this too. I won't be buying it either way, maybe used or something, I'm just curious.

my buddy was just bitching about player caps and lag...said it wouldnt be bad if he could play without lag...

i just laughed at him for buying it...

Honestly I bet single player mode will be fun but Infinity Ward screwed online play. I'll buy it when it hits $10 but untill then I don't pay more than $30 for a game like this to play single player.

The reason I never liked Unreal Tourney games was all the flash "HEAD SHOT" shouting shit. If I get a HS, I know it and the recipient knows it but I don't need visual confirmation stating the obvious.

Last edited:
It is a blast if you are on a fast enough connection that you are always chosen to host. It is less flexible than Call of Duty 4, but is a great game and definitely very polished. However, if you are not on a great connection or don't have control over your networking situation, I would not reccomend buying it. Furthermore, if you are outside the US / Europe, matchmaking will be a huge pain. Finally, anyone who is sensitive to low FOV in games should stay away from this until we have a way to increase the FOV.

Really disappointed there is no dedicated servers.........

I was so looking forward to this game.

That makes no sense, why spread rumors that simply aren't true?

I just bought the game on lunch, already RDP'd home and it's downloading on steam so I can play ASAP when I get there!

based off of the sp game alone, i feel IW ripped everyone off. 4-5 hour sp game on regular settings is just pathetic in this day and age. because unless you devote all your time to one mp game and play nothing else the value for MW2 just isn't there.

oh man, that is disapointing, i thought it was going to be like going from COD1 to COD2, (a damn good improvement) COD4 SP was one of the best SPs´ ive personally every played. (top 5 for me)

I was thinking the new one was going to be better, but its only 4-5 hours? I better play it on the hardest dificulty. When i get it (second hand)

Too bad we lost another decent company to consoles. :(

I played COD4 SP once for a day or two, completed the story on Hardened, and then continued to play MP for the last two years. The first provided a lot of good entertainment for the money, and I'm sure this one will too.

Been playing it for 4 hours....great game...I've played all the COD's, and it's good enough for me. Take this as you will. All problems are blown out of proportion. Look at the probs. w/ Borderlands, etc.

Am I the only one who thinks host migration is a pretty cool idea? I have played so many games where the host leaves and I get the countdown, or a text box pops up on the screen saying "WE HAVE LOST THE SERVER" Connection interrupted...Now rather then leaving you have to wait a massive 5 seconds? seems pretty decent to me...but that lag is another story

Unless you run out and purchase a copy from a b&m, of course then you can play today. You can activate on steam, download the game if you wish and play today with a retail key.

If you buy the DVD, you won't need to download it...just activate it on Steam....great graphics. Did I say Great Graphics. I actually have a copy coming from a store in a week (a $40 deal), but couldn't wait so ran out and bought at BB, w/ $10 gift card. When my other copy comes in in a week, I can return that copy to BB....nice eh?

Honestly I bet single player mode will be fun but Infinity Ward screwed online play. I'll buy it when it hits $10 but untill then I don't pay more than $30 for a game like this to play single player.

The reason I never liked Unreal Tourney games was all the flash "HEAD SHOT" shouting shit. If I get a HS, I know it and the recipient knows it but I don't need visual confirmation stating the obvious.

COD4 is still at $40, it will be some time before you see MW2 at $10 (5 years maybe).

I might check out one of the local stores after work today for a pc version, if not I'll wait until thursday to get it on steam
I never played the first modern warfare for pc(just got a rig last week) so I never had dedicated servers or 64 players when I played it on 360, so it won't seem like a big downgrade for me.

You're speed won't always matter. I'm pretty sure it 'balances' it out between all the players.

Hosting like this isn't possible for a normal FPS like this. The game is like all other shooters out there, except you can only create listen servers. There is always 1 host and other people connect to him.

That being said, there are enough fast & low latency home connections out there that listen servers are much much better than they were a few years ago.

Hosting like this isn't possible for a normal FPS like this. The game is like all other shooters out there, except you can only create listen servers. There is always 1 host and other people connect to him.

That being said, there are enough fast & low latency home connections out there that listen servers are much much better than they were a few years ago.

And still far inferior to dedicated servers, which have been omitted because of blatant greed.

Unless you run out and purchase a copy from a b&m, of course then you can play today. You can activate on steam, download the game if you wish and play today with a retail key.

Which is what I did, it said activation successful and it's downloading, so I expect it will work. I figured the download would be finished by 5:00, instead of getting home and waiting for the disc install.

While I agree that p2p is not the way to go, the dedicated server browser on COD4 SUCKED, in fact, I very rarely played on any dedicated servers anyway besides my own, which was hosted from my home internet connection.

Am I the only one who thinks host migration is a pretty cool idea? I have played so many games where the host leaves and I get the countdown, or a text box pops up on the screen saying "WE HAVE LOST THE SERVER" Connection interrupted...Now rather then leaving you have to wait a massive 5 seconds? seems pretty decent to me...but that lag is another story

You know there was a kind of server with a permanent host, a dedicated host you might say, where you never lost the connection. So no, I think it was a pretty shit idea.

The 2 player co-op mode sounds like fun. I will probably pick this up after it's been patched some and when the price comes down.

COD4 is still at $40, it will be some time before you see MW2 at $10 (5 years maybe).

still $40 but you can find used copies cheap. I see the best deals on craigslist. I sold mine for $15 and I saw one going for $10. I bought COD:WaW from that person and Orange Box for $10 each. One week after he placed the ad and the $10 COD:MW was still available.

yeah, you run the risk of the key being used but I never had a problem with it.

I've been playing it on the 360 since last Thursday. It is really really fun, outstanding single player game and really fun multiplayer. It has about a gazillion accessory unlocks just for the guns. The 9v9 player count is helped by the fact that the maps are designed for a lower player count. 32 player games would feel ridiculously crowded.

And after watching PC streams last night it seems that multiplayer works as well as it does on the 360 so I'll be picking that up today as well, simply because as much as I like it on the 360, I like fast multiplayer with a mouse and keyboard even more. :)

Wow, just watching those "Host Migration" clips is enough to get me to never buy this game. That guy was sneaking up on someone from behind only to have to wait for host migration... I can imagine how annoying that would get in the middle of firefights or when you're on a kill streak and it messing it up. That's the kind of frustration I don't need when I'm trying to play a game for fun. And 9v9 is good for a slow tactical shooter, not a run and gun game like Call of Duty.

Oh well, I always did love the Battlefield series and the last 2 Call of Duty games are still good :)

I watched someone's live stream for about an hour last night and lag was never once an issue for him. The hosts needed to be migrated once but that's only a five second wait, which is about average in the last week I've played it on the 360. I dunno, maybe he got extremely lucky, but then again everyone else on his list had full bars (would it kill them to put ping numbers in there?). Yeah, the lack of dedicated servers sucks but the game is still fun and very playable. It honestly looked like he was playing on a fast server that he chose.

And 9v9 is good for a slow tactical shooter, not a run and gun game like Call of Duty.

Speaking from five hours playing it over the last week, there is nothing slow or tactical about MW2. It makes Counter Strike look like Rainbow Six. Instakills, instant respawns, run run run shoot shoot shoot kill kill kill, IMO it almost geared too much towards ADD having people that just want to run and gun.

Oh well, I always did love the Battlefield series and the last 2 Call of Duty games are still good :)

Bad Company 2 looks outstanding, I can't wait for it to come out.

Speaking from five hours playing it over the last week, there is nothing slow or tactical about MW2. It makes Counter Strike look like Rainbow Six. Instakills, instant respawns, run run run shoot shoot shoot kill kill kill, IMO it almost geared too much towards ADD having people that just want to run and gun.

Bad Company 2 looks outstanding, I can't wait for it to come out.

He didn't say it was slow or tactical?

I watched someone's live stream for about an hour last night and lag was never once an issue for him. The hosts needed to be migrated once but that's only a five second wait, which is about average in the last week I've played it on the 360. I dunno, maybe he got extremely lucky, but then again everyone else on his list had full bars (would it kill them to put ping numbers in there?). Yeah, the lack of dedicated servers sucks but the game is still fun and very playable. It honestly looked like he was playing on a fast server that he chose.

Everyones experience is going to be different, places like the Austraila where broadband is slow and expensive it's going to be a real problem to find lag free games.

In fact the UK isn't a great deal better, the standard here at the moment is 8mbit which comes with a 448k upload speed, how on earth are you meant to host a listen server with 448k upload for a 9v9? I hosted an 8v8 game of L4D recently and I have a fiber connection 50mbit down and 1.5mbit up and that struggled in many places, and thats like the fastest residential connection in the UK

Finally, anyone who is sensitive to low FOV in games should stay away from this until we have a way to increase the FOV.

This is good to know. I suffer from the motion sickness from HL2 (have to bump the FOV up to actually play it). Without a demo, I can't even see if the FOV in modern warfare 2 would be a problem. Looks like I'm out indefinitely.

This is good to know. I suffer from the motion sickness from HL2 (have to bump the FOV up to actually play it). Without a demo, I can't even see if the FOV in modern warfare 2 would be a problem. Looks like I'm out indefinitely.

Locked @ 65 AFAIK. And there doesn't appear to be any way to change it as of yet.

Been entertaining myself today by reading all the hate threads on the IW forums, some guy is having the same issue. Well, all I can say is that I am glad I was not taken in with the hype in the first place, this is one headache I do not need.

Just tried this game on friend's PC and it blows. Haven't noticed any improvements over the first Warfare.. The guns still sound like crap and doesn't give any "war" feeling at all. Same stupid enemies and thats all.

He didn't say it was slow or tactical?

He was concerned that the 9v9 limit would make the game slower and more tactical. Due to the map layout, map size, and instant respawn (something I'm not used to with all the TF2 I play), the game is probably the farthest thing from slow and tactical. It is full on run and gun unless you decide to hide out in a sniper nest or something.

Everyones experience is going to be different, places like the Austraila where broadband is slow and expensive it's going to be a real problem to find lag free games.

In fact the UK isn't a great deal better, the standard here at the moment is 8mbit which comes with a 448k upload speed, how on earth are you meant to host a listen server with 448k upload for a 9v9? I hosted an 8v8 game of L4D recently and I have a fiber connection 50mbit down and 1.5mbit up and that struggled in many places, and thats like the fastest residential connection in the UK

We'll find out. Having played both L4D and MW2, I can safely say that MW2 performs much better than L4D in the hosting department. I don't know what kind of client side voodoo they are doing but IW has clearly tried to make the P2P model work.

Frankly, the net performance thing is a non-issue to me now, at least based on my experience playing the 360 version and watching PC video streams that were very very smooth. No, my only concern is that no dedicated server means no community that springs up around specific servers. That's how I found my regular BF2 servers back when I was playing it. Now any sort of community based gaming is completely based on your existing friend list and adding random people you enjoy playing with, instead of going to a server you know is well moderated, has cool regulars, etc etc.

Can't say I care for that, but then again it has worked out "ok" in L4D and TF2; about a dozen out of the 125 people on my Steam friends list are random people I really liked playing with.

Either way, while it isn't ideal, I can't say it is the horrible abortion that its made out to be either. Its another way, not the only way, and it works well as well as it could from my own experience and from what I've seen.

Back