So is Far Cry 2 the next 'big thing'?

Mister E

2[H]4U
I haven't heard much about any new games that are gonna be must haves.

What you guys think?

I'm not too sure.. not too pumped for this game for some odd reason.. this year I don't have much games I want on my list, sad really :(.

It'll be the next "big thing" if people choose it to be. I'll start:

"Oh man I can't wait for Far Cry 2!!!!!!!!!"

Seriously

No. It does look very cool though(and much more interesting than Crysis, which I personally never had any interest in).

As long as I can run it at 1920x1200 with max. settings on my wife's PC (with the built-in GPU) I'll be happy. Otherwise it will be an unoptimized piece of shit.

I guess I sould wait for release day to really start bitching about it. :p

I'm pretty sure that I needs it, one could even say that it will be precious to me... :D

On a serious not I am really looking forward to this, gameplay wise it looks to be everything that it turned out Crysis wasn't...

Well I think its the next big thing in graphical respects, no game really comes close to the physics and graphics as a whole, for the story and A.I, if its anything like crysis, it will be just another boring game with pretty graphics.

It'll be the next "big thing" if people choose it to be. I'll start:

"Oh man I can't wait for Far Cry 2!!!!!!!!!"

Seriously

That would be a mistake.

Doesn't everyone remember why Far Cry was so amazing?

Doom 3 and HL 2 are about to come out and...wait...what is this?! Far Cry?! And it turns it this is as good if not better than the other 2 games, graphics AND gameplay! Far Cry MP anyone?!

Hype killed Crysis, Far Cry 2 not getting much hype is the huge advantage it has. I really hope this game surprises me. :D

As long as I can run it at 1920x1200 with max. settings on my wife's PC (with the built-in GPU) I'll be happy. Otherwise it will be an unoptimized piece of shit.

I guess I sould wait for release day to really start bitching about it. :p

haha :)

Agreed, Crysis was a very boring game, just good graphics.

I think the game was more of a sandbox style game, the game is what you make it. There are many ways to play the game, with the different suit abilities and weapon customisations you can do everything from a Rambo, to complete stealth.

The closest comparison I can think of is something like Theme Park, pretty loose goals and many ways to get there.

Between Rambo and complete stealth is just different combinations of rambo and stealth. I wouldn't say "many ways to play". In many cases a combination of Rambo and stealth means just killing one enemy with "rambo" and the next one with "stealth" coming down to essentially binary decision making so that even the different combinations are still really just the same two choices made repeatedly. There's the possibility of impractical or situational departures from the normal forms of deathdealing, like an environmental kill, or a lure and kill, but this is normal and expected.

The closest comparison is Far Cry.

And the above isn't necessarily bad, it's just not radically different gameplay despite the leap forward in technical complexity.

I dont think you have a very good imagination if you can't have fun in a sandbox game like Crysis, I was throwing explosives into trucks and driving them at groups of people, diving out and letting the truck roll into a shack or into a group of people and hitting the detonate key and watching the fireworks.

You could go through more or less the entire game killing things with just physics enabled objects, or setting traps with big heavy objects, bombs, explosive barrels, vehicles, or even a well position tree to the head.

Sometimes I just stealthed through entire sections, not killing a soul, sometimes I played more like an assassin and stealthed through but used silenced weapons to take out guards 1 at a time so no one notices anything is wrong.

^^^ Thats what made Crysis so fun ..not the story line its all the "little" things.

I'm not really hyped for this game at all. Then again, I didn't really like the first FarCry all that much.

I think Project Origin is the next big thing.

Far cry wasn't bad at all, some people have too high of an expectation of storyline. Far cry was about the graphics, and the killing of NPCs, the storyline was just to tell you how you get from A to B.

I dont think you have a very good imagination if you can't have fun in a sandbox game like Crysis

Exactly. Crytek games are unique because of the freedom they allow. In Half Life and Doom you are in a theme-park style ride that always goes in the same direction. It may be an awesome ride the first time, but creativity and replay value are limited. Doors you arent supposed to go in are locked, every enemy is expected to be fought, etc. Imagine a Half Life done Farcry-style, where a few city blocks and every building and room therein are fully explorable and populated with interacting citizens, Combine soldiers and monsters. That would be amazing.

The worst part of Crysis was when it became like Half Life towards the end, in the alien levels that took away any chance of creativity. The game is at its best when theres a huge base full of Koreans, and your only goal is "Get through, using any means possible." Conversely, Half Life was worst when it turns into "corridor shooter" and best in the larger, open-ended areas. I played through Episode 1 and 2 last week and they had the same drawbacks as vanilla HL2. Great vehicle levels with open towns full of buildings, but also corridor-style areas blocked by doors that could only be opened by spinning a wheel, which would reset when you get damaged. So you had to fight the monsters first, then open the door, and continue on what felt like a tour.

I think Project Origin is the next big thing.

Far cry wasn't bad at all, some people have too high of an expectation of storyline. Far cry was about the graphics, and the killing of NPCs, the storyline was just to tell you how you get from A to B.

QFT, a solid story in a FPS is the execption not the norm.

I am looking forward to Far Cry 2. I loved the original and I loved Crysis.

Exactly. Crytek games are unique because of the freedom they allow. In Half Life and Doom you are in a theme-park style ride that always goes in the same direction. It may be an awesome ride the first time, but creativity and replay value are limited. Doors you arent supposed to go in are locked, every enemy is expected to be fought, etc. Imagine a Half Life done Farcry-style, where a few city blocks and every building and room therein are fully explorable and populated with interacting citizens, Combine soldiers and monsters. That would be amazing.

The worst part of Crysis was when it became like Half Life towards the end, in the alien levels that took away any chance of creativity. The game is at its best when theres a huge base full of Koreans, and your only goal is "Get through, using any means possible."

QFT. I'm looking for a Far Cry 2 that's more like Crysis, excepting everything from the spaceship on. Just let me kill NPK as creatively as possible (or sneak by them.) Crysis maybe isn't the best shooter in the world because it's not all about shooting. Maybe people can't grasp the fun in that.

Seriously, what other game can you do this with? http://www.up-nort.com/wc_buddy/crysis/ii.wmv :D

[edit] I will say that a good storyline will make things that much more enjoyable. Crysis' storyline wasn't the best. The characters were decent but the plot was predictable.

The worst part of Crysis was when it became like Half Life towards the end, in the alien levels that took away any chance of creativity. The game is at its best when theres a huge base full of Koreans, and your only goal is "Get through, using any means possible." Conversely, Half Life was worst when it turns into "corridor shooter" and best in the larger, open-ended areas. I played through Episode 1 and 2 last week and they had the same drawbacks as vanilla HL2. Great vehicle levels with open towns full of buildings, but also corridor-style areas blocked by doors that could only be opened by spinning a wheel, which would reset when you get damaged. So you had to fight the monsters first, then open the door, and continue on what felt like a tour.

QFT again.

I think the main issue is once the developer allows you to follow your own path, they can't control what you are going to experience and as a result have a much looser ability to control the storyline.

Starcraft 2 and Spore.

Spore will be the ultimate sandbox game.

Starcraft 2 will be the best game of 2010.

And yeah Valve has a very specific story they want you to experience. Crytek is like "hell we dont know, here, you figure it out"' :)

I think Far Cry 2's flamethrower and realistic fire simulation alone will be worth the price. There's just something about a flamethrower . . .

I think Far Cry 2's flamethrower and realistic fire simulation alone will be worth the price. There's just something about a flamethrower . . .

If only Return to Castle Wolfenstein still worked for me.:(

Back