So? Is Dell U2410 worth buying?

Stigz

n00b
Heya all..
There is so many reviews about this monitor.
Some people call it bad for gaming, some people praise it.

I will mostly use it for gaming/movies and some photo editing and amateur graphics.
I want 1920x1200 resolution and 24" monitor.
I want good color quality. I am a gamer but nothing professional.

So on the bottom line, is Dell U2410 revision A07 worth buying?

Thanks

U2410 is a great monitor but might be overkill, for your needs.
Keep in mind that, Windows, most websites and games use default sRGB 6-bit colour profile.
U2410 utilizes 8-bit colour, and it will make colours look different than they are "supposed" to do.
It can be improved by using a sRGB profile, but some monitors does not emulate it well.

The 8-bit is only useful, if you actually have/use a printer capable of using 8-bit (most printers for home/office, do not).
Input lag is good enough, but newer monitors as U2312HM, U2412H are a lot better. Personally i would advice you to, look at newer monitors.
I am going to purchase a 24" my self, with 1920x1200 resolution, i am waiting for the review of HP ZR2440w on tftcentral.co.uk. If it doesn't meet my expectations, i would probably buy U2412H.

Talking out of experience, i have been using U2410.

U2410 is a great monitor but might be overkill, for your needs.
Keep in mind that, Windows, most websites and games use default sRGB 6-bit colour profile.
U2410 utilizes 8-bit colour, and it will make colours look different than they are "supposed" to do.
It can be improved by using a sRGB profile, but some monitors does not emulate it well.

The 8-bit is only useful, if you actually have/use a printer capable of using 8-bit (most printers for home/office, do not).
Input lag is good enough, but newer monitors as U2312HM, U2412H are a lot better. Personally i would advice you to, look at newer monitors.
I am going to purchase a 24" my self, with 1920x1200 resolution, i am waiting for the review of HP ZR2440w on tftcentral.co.uk. If it doesn't meet my expectations, i would probably buy U2412H.

Talking out of experience, i have been using U2410.

8-bit versus 6-bit panels is not important in this regard.

The U2412M and ZR2440W are 6-bit + A-FRC, whereas the U2410 is 8-bit + A-FRC.

FRC=frame rate control where there is a set of colors that are flashed on the screen at high speeds to simulate another color. This is done to have faster, cheaper panels that can still show the 16.7 million colors of 8-bit per channel versus the 262K colors of 6-bit per channel, and without dithering and other easily visible patterned effects.

A-FRC adds some other algorithm, presumably some form of subtle dithering. It's very hard to see.

Basically all images on the web are 24-bit or 8-bits of red, green, and blue data.

Where the U2410 is over-kill is in the fact that is a wide gamut panel, and the entire web is in sRGB gamut, not Adobe RGB, or "extended gamut" like the U2410. Dell mitigates this by making the monitor able to simulate sRGB, though not perfectly.

Either way, they are both decent screens, though with the U2410 you may be paying for features you don't need.

U2410 have 7ms more input lag than U2412M but is faster and free of RTC artifacts:

U2410:
dell_u2410.jpg

U2412M:
response2.jpg

if you hate violet-blue tinge of W-LED displays then U2410 will be great choice :)

ps. sRGB have nothing to do with 6 or 8 bit. Also almost everything is 8bit per channel and not 6bit...

Thanks for your replies.
I am going to buy a new computer soon, now I am using an old SyncMaster 730BF monitor :)
So everything will be a big changed compared to it.
I never noticed any input lag on my monitor, and I guess its crappier in this regard compared to all the monitors you guys suggested.

I want a monitor that can reproduce great colors, I plan on photo editing in the future and shooting with DSLR cameras.

I watch a lot of movies and gonna game a lot after I get my new computer.
Mostly RPG and FPS type of games, but had never noticed any ghosting or input lags on my crappy old 730BF monitor.

So what say you guys? :)

If you are going to do a lot of RAW shooting, the extra gamut of the Adobe RGB might be useful to you. In that case you might be better off with the U2410.

If I am gonna shoot with DSLR it will be mostly RAW shooting.
But will I suffer in games and movies? I read the input lag is 14 ms, that's not very high as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

with semi-professional 8bit displays you wont find better than 14ms U2410 offers in game mode :rolleyes:

ps.
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/dell-u2410-p6194/test.html said:
This is a monitor responsive enough for any gamer, and even rivals the best 2 ms TN screens. Only screens that run at 120 Hz can do better. As a result, the U2410 is at home with any kind of game.

I bought 2410,for my raw editing,and I am satisfied. Overall very good monitor,only drawback for me is very hard coating,but getting used to it.

If I am gonna shoot with DSLR it will be mostly RAW shooting.
But will I suffer in games and movies? I read the input lag is 14 ms, that's not very high as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

What kind of DSLR? If you have a Canon, get a U2410. If you have a Nikon, get an Eizo. ;)

Just kidding.

I have had a U2410 for 8 months now. I purchased an NEC last month and realized how awful the Dell looked next to it - which I expected. My main issue, however was the fact that the Dell had a disgusting yellowish tint whereas the NEC was pure white. I have had the U2410 returned and exchanged 6 times now and I still get them with yellow or red tinting issues.

My original reason of purchase was for gaming, but nowadays I do a lot of graphic design, web design, programming, etc.

For gaming, the monitor seems fine. It's not quite as smooth as a 120Hz, but I don't like washed out colors. The AG coating sometimes annoys me but for the most part it's okay. You also have to decide if wide-gamut is for you. If you're shooting RAW and plan on printing them, that might be a nice feature.

Also, not sure where you get Revision A07 from. My most recent replacement was manufactured in November 2011 and was Revision A05. Perhaps they fixed the tinting issues in the past week? Doubtful.

Honestly I don't know what you should do. I know that I wouldn't get a U2410 though.

Back