So, Iphone 5 may be discontinued with the release of the 5S...

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
At least according to Mac Rumors.

Now, while I imagine there will be back stock, my first thought was still "hmmmm I wonder I in fact got that extended warranty this time for my phone" which led to "hmmmm I wonder if I should conveniently lose or break my phone shortly after the 5S comes out" :p .

Oh that reminds me I have to go and get mine replaced again. Damn power button, y u no work!

This makes sense with the new "iPhone Plastic" coming out, as long as it's at a pricepoint competitive with where the 4/4S is right now. There's too much supply left in the pipeline for you to do what you're thinking, though. They'll have more than enough to replace/repair broken ones for quite some time.

AppleCare doesn't cover loss, if that is what you have for warranty.

If you break it they have parts to fix it and spares to replace it with the same model. You don't get something for nothing from Apple. Now if you broke it at the appropriate moment and schmoozed a "genius" at the "bar" you might get an upgrade of some sort but that is traditionally up to the "genius" in question.

If you haven't noticed, Apple is selling three generations of iPhone at any given time.

You can buy a 5, 4S, and 4 today, new. What makes you think that when the 5S (or 6 depending on how they go with things) will make them stop selling the 5?

If you haven't noticed, Apple is selling three generations of iPhone at any given time.

You can buy a 5, 4S, and 4 today, new. What makes you think that when the 5S (or 6 depending on how they go with things) will make them stop selling the 5?

Yup. I will be shocked, if apple doesn't continue selling the iphone 5, once its successor launches.

Just a rumor, but it's based on both the scalability of the display used in the iPhone 5 and the arrival of a new, cheaper iPhone that would otherwise cannibalize sales of the 4/4S:
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/24...-5-alongside-launch-of-5s-and-plastic-models/

The "iPhone Plastic" is definitely going to kill the 4 and probably the 4S, but the possibility of it killing the 5 is something new.

With investors pounding Apple for improved profits or new products I would take a rumor like this with a grain of salt ... with their current strategy of maintaining 3 generations they are generally selling slightly over 50% in the newest form factor with the remainder split between the previous two generations ... a cheaper phone would definitely negate the need to maintain the 3rd model (as it is intended to satisfy the need for carriers who want to offer a free phone with a contract) ... but the second generation phone was not usually free and with the economies of scale the previous generation was usually high profit and low cost ... the cheaper iPhone should really try to replace the 3rd generation free model (not the previous generation model) if Apple is looking to expand their market share with the cheaper phone ... hopefully we'll know in a couple of months (my latest contract is up so I am looking forward to a 5S) :)

The more interesting rumors this week were about Apple experimenting with different screen sizes ... I would love to have a 13" iPad (one of the sizes mentioned) ... the 10" screen I have now is great but I like to read magazines and comics on my iPad (as well as gaming) and the bigger screen would definitely be useful for that ... we'll see if those rumors pan out ... right now I have the generation 2 iPad (pre-retina) and I would love to upgrade to a newer model since I am always filling it up and could use a 128GB model (or larger, if they go that route) :)

Just a rumor, but it's based on both the scalability of the display used in the iPhone 5 and the arrival of a new, cheaper iPhone that would otherwise cannibalize sales of the 4/4S:
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/24...-5-alongside-launch-of-5s-and-plastic-models/

The "iPhone Plastic" is definitely going to kill the 4 and probably the 4S, but the possibility of it killing the 5 is something new.

The 4 and 4S will be discontinued with the release of the new phone. There will be the 5S, 5, and plastic.

I am hoping the 4 and 4s get dropped. Granted apple will still have the phones available for service replacements for a while. Hell I know right now in our store there are still 3G and 3GS in stock for replacement

It would make sense for them to drop the 4, 4s, completing the transfer over to the Lightning connector. Leaving the lineup with 5S, 5, and maybe the plastic 5 if that turns out to be true.

Prediction is I think they will release a iPhone "5S" and a "budget" iPhone that's made of plastic, resulting in dropping of the 4/4S models.

Not only do they want to shift over to the lightning connector, I'm sure there is a push to go for LTE models too, since its substantially cheaper to a carrier to have LTE phones then it is for 3G, at least on Verizon it is. But we'll see.

It would make sense for them to drop the 4, 4s, completing the transfer over to the Lightning connector. Leaving the lineup with 5S, 5, and maybe the plastic 5 if that turns out to be true.

Prediction is I think they will release a iPhone "5S" and a "budget" iPhone that's made of plastic, resulting in dropping of the 4/4S models.

Not only do they want to shift over to the lightning connector, I'm sure there is a push to go for LTE models too, since its substantially cheaper to a carrier to have LTE phones then it is for 3G, at least on Verizon it is. But we'll see.

Combo of these 2.

Goal is to get rid of the 5 as the screens are too expensive to make (Mac Rumors), the 5S has all the bells and whistles and be the top of the line model, then you have the budget brand where anyone in a 3rd world country can have an iphone for free, all the while standardizing on your Lightning cable connector and ditching the 30pin.

I'd put money that by Q1/2014 the 5 is gone and only 2 models are left: 5S/5C and then we start hearing about the 6.

I think Apple needs to change the way they release phones to compete with Samsung, whether they do this or not is a different story. Do you think there is a possibility of releasing a iPhone 6, 5S, and 5C this fall?

I think Apple needs to change the way they release phones to compete with Samsung, whether they do this or not is a different story. Do you think there is a possibility of releasing a iPhone 6, 5S, and 5C this fall?

I guess it depends on how you define those categories ... Apples doesn't suffer on the speed front ... cost and size have been the two variables that other companies have been able to exploit ... if Apple could release the next iPhone in two sizes (current and slightly larger) with the low cost alternative for the value market segment that would be sufficient ... I don't consider there to be a significant technology gap between Apple and Samsung (at least from my perspective)

No. Absolutely not. Why kill the 5S with a new 6 model 3 months later? 4S was a fluke due to Job's death.

Apple is about Quality over Quantity. They are firm believers in NOT canabalizing their markets unless they absolutely have to (Iphone vs. Ipod). Apple does not have to release new phones every 6 months to out pace/compete Samsung, Apple is in a totally different mindset altogether.

I can honestly see Apple move to replace their entire line once a year with the same model #'s (6's,7's, 8's, etc).

Thanks for the insight. I imagine they will not change their product release model now, however, I do think the environment is changing. Weather this actually effects them remands to be seen, they still are a cash cow.

Back