So im joining the GTX980 club...

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
Does this make me special?

Got 2x GTX980 STRIX coming on thursday, finally bit the bullet and minus putting them on water my build is DONE (See sig)....Any thoughts on if it is worth keeping a single 680 in the box for either running my other monitors (I run 3, 1200p / 1080p / 1440p, only game on the 27"), or PhysX?

also WTF am I going to do with all this GPU power ...

I would imagine with sli 980s you will be playing some great games of DOTA 2 and CSGO. But make sure to spice it up with some Binding of Isaac.

For 2560x1440, yes, two 980's will mostly be overkill. I run a 980 and it whipped through most things at 2560x1600. Only a handful of games push a 980 at that res. For 4K though, which is what I'm currently running, it does get bogged down in certain titles. I just tested Crysis the other day and it couldn't keep up a straight 60 FPS at high settings in UHD, had to lower them to mid.

I have a second one on the way and I"m excited... That is until my 3rd one gets here :-D

I wouldn't keep the 680 unles you just wanted a phsyx card that is overkill :-D

I would imagine with sli 980s you will be playing some great games of DOTA 2 and CSGO. But make sure to spice it up with some Binding of Isaac.

These games have been giving my single 980 a run for their money ;)

And Mount and Blade. You really haven't played M&B until you've played it on a GTX 980. :D I imagine two would be twice as gratifying.

The only reason to keep that 680 in the same machine is to run more monitors than what your current 2 GTX980's will support. Even then it's an unnecessary power and heat monger for that job.

I would either sell it, upgrade another box you got lying around, or keep it as a spare should you have some sort of catastrophic failure.

Thats about the thoughts, I figure ill upgrade a GTX260 box (Yes 260...), and hold the other for backup / etc. if I need a real GPU elsewhere......

And meh, bank isnt hurting bad, new job sure helps...

The only reason to keep that 680 in the same machine is to run more monitors than what your current 2 GTX980's will support. Even then it's an unnecessary power and heat monger for that job.

I would either sell it, upgrade another box you got lying around, or keep it as a spare should you have some sort of catastrophic failure.

You'll love SLI GTX 980s. I've been rocking this setup for a few months on my LG 3440 x 1440 monitor. Love it!

I think DSR is working with SLI? Try doing at least 1.25x DSR with at least 2x MSAA. It makes everything looked damned beautiful. You may know this already, but it's a good way to burn extra power. :)

Gets rid of building/grass shimmering, ect. like AA can't do by itself.

Yeah I am amazed every time I turn DSR off and look at the difference now

So anyway I was thinking about this option (GTX 980 SLI) as well to run a 3 27" monitor setup. The problem is at what resolution? If you stick with 1080p it turns out that the 980's are the best option (actually the GTX 780ti's run slightly slower), but if 3k or 4k is your choice then it seems that the AMD R9 295x2 is the better option as according to almost every single benchmarking site I can find it outperforms the 980 SLI setups in the higher resolutions.
There are some great monitor options about to release that i plan on waiting a bit for that may help make my decision a little clearer.

The best of luck with the 980's though man they are beasts otherwise.

My needs were:

1) Power/heat output (980 wins hands down)
2) Performance

I have a single 480mm UT60 ill have these and my 2x E5-2670's under

Just 2 vid cards? You must be new here :p

Im not gen may material :( I dont make 100k + bang only 10's and above ..... :( I R DISAPPOINT

I have a single 480mm UT60 ill have these and my 2x E5-2670's under

You're going to love the low temps. Depending on my ambeint, my 980 usually peaks at 40-43c (fans on the rads are at minimum speed).

Have to get my loop sorted first (For some reason my CPUs are idle ~35c, load ~60c, and they are only things on it).....Plan to get blocks in a week or two, install whenever I have time (Big chunk of the reason I went new top of the line is, getting old top of the line full covers can be a PITA)

So anyway I was thinking about this option (GTX 980 SLI) as well to run a 3 27" monitor setup. The problem is at what resolution? If you stick with 1080p it turns out that the 980's are the best option (actually the GTX 780ti's run slightly slower), but if 3k or 4k is your choice then it seems that the AMD R9 295x2 is the better option as according to almost every single benchmarking site I can find it outperforms the 980 SLI setups in the higher resolutions.
There are some great monitor options about to release that i plan on waiting a bit for that may help make my decision a little clearer.

The best of luck with the 980's though man they are beasts otherwise.

On the flip side have fun in games like Farcry 4, where crossfire is disabled or Metro LL where you lose 50% performance if you enable everything.

You know what would compliment SLI GTX 980's? A 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Curved Monitor. Seems like a pity using those on a single 27".

One thing at a time :p

I want to pick up another two U2713's, or ill pick up another plus a 34" 2440x1440 for a center (Never been huge into multi monitor gaming, but never given it a serious try)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have not noticed any input lag or ghosting, im just casual about my gaming and like stuff to be shiny ! , no backlight bleed on my panels (U2713HM, and a U2412HM), maybe im lucky o r my eyes are not as good :p

Next drives will probably be 240 or 480 drives (4 of em) in RAID 0 on my P222 RAID card

Anyone using the "Dynamic Super Resolution" mode? I'm using it on the Borderlands game running at 3840x2160 (4x).

Last edited:
Im using DSR on BL2, DA Inquisition and a couple other games, its pretty cool. There is a noticeable difference in IQ compared to native res on my 27in 1080p monitor. Little to no real performance hit, either - nothing really goes below 60 on this card. For shooters through Ive turned it off to get my 144fps on.

You know what would compliment SLI GTX 980's? A 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Curved Monitor. Seems like a pity using those on a single 27".

While I mostly agree with this, I should point out that the monitor you are referring to has only 21% more pixels than a 30" 2560x1600 monitor. Since a single GTX 980 handles well 2560x1600, it may not be necessary to go SLI for 3440x1440.

Have to get my loop sorted first (For some reason my CPUs are idle ~35c, load ~60c, and they are only things on it).....Plan to get blocks in a week or two, install whenever I have time (Big chunk of the reason I went new top of the line is, getting old top of the line full covers can be a PITA)

Not really SLI 980 is only just about good enough for 4k.

Anyone using the "Dynamic Super Resolution" mode? I'm using it on the Borderlands game running at 3840x2160 (4x).

I am using DSR to sample 3600x2700 (4x) or 2400x1800 (1.78x) to 1800x1350.

What is this DSR and how do I enable it? Ive been out of the loop on GPUs for a long time (Last new GPUs I purchased were 6970's)

What is this DSR and how do I enable it? Ive been out of the loop on GPUs for a long time (Last new GPUs I purchased were 6970's)

DSR is a really high-quality method of anti-aliasing. It can be enabled in nVidia control panel.

Do I need to change anything in game? Ill take a look at enabling it when I get home later.

Do I need to change anything in game? Ill take a look at enabling it when I get home later.

You need to select a higher resolution in game after enabling DSR in the control panel. It automatically down scales it to your native resolution.

You need to select a higher resolution in game after enabling DSR in the control panel. It automatically down scales it to your native resolution.

Unless your monitor doesn't have a native resolution. Then it scales it to your primary resolution (the one on the top of CRU's custom resolution list).

Back